Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car warranty

Options
  • 16-10-2016 9:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭

I bought a new car a year ago. When it was 8 months old a problem developed with the brakes and the servicing centre (for a main dealer) took it in for repair. My problem is that they have now had it over 4 months due to an apparent problem with supply of parts with no sign of a conclusion. I have sent a standard consumer letter requesting a replacement or a refund as it hasn't been repaired in a reasonable time frame. I have been provided with a rental car at manufacturers expense but I am worried in cas I damage it. It just seems to be going on and on. Any advice?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

Was it a brand new car or new to you?

What make/ model is it?

Is it back in the dealer you bought from initially?

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭tazdustdevil

I don't think it's a good idea to name the make / model in case it works against me.

Has this or similar happened to anyone else?

Yes it was brand new with a 3 year warranty and I returned it to the servicing section at the dealer I bought it from.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,819 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

As it's a new car get on to the distributor for that brand and complain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

I assume , at the very least, the dealer gave you a loan of a new car in the meantime. I would contact the distributor immediately about the delay. 4 months for a spare part on a new car is absolutely unforgivable.

• Advertisement

Yeah it's a rental car 161 but I want my own car. I am worried about implications if for any reason I damage the rental car.

I am getting weekly scripted phone calls from the distributor in the uk apologising for the delay and always unable to give me a timescale for repair.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

I am getting weekly scripted phone calls from the distributor in the uk apologising for the delay and always unable to give me a timescale for repair.

Is there no Distributor for the car in Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,264 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

On the plus side at least its keeping the milage low on your new car.

Is there no Distributor for the car in Ireland?
    Customer service side of things seems to be managed through headquarters in the UK.

• Advertisement

SCOOP 64 wrote: »
    On the plus side at least its keeping the milage low on your new car.

True but if I have an accident/ damage the rental car, excess is about €1500 afaik.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,264 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

True but if I have an accident/ damage the rental car, excess is about €1500 afaik.

See your point.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭ssmith6287

Id argue that your dealings are with the garage not the rental company and let them sort it

Advertisement