Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thinking of doing Hibernia HDip in Primary - advice needed!

Options
  • 16-10-2016 12:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hi all,
    I am thinking of signing up for the HDip in Primary Teaching next April, but have some reservations. I am male but will be 43-44 when I qualify and would wonder is that too old to be in an area where permanency is hard to get. There are other considerations, most importantly is there actual demand for teachers and the amount of admin that is there now. Realistically, I am looking for someone who has done Hibernia and in the same age group (or there abouts). Sorry for the vagueness as well and any advice appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,311 ✭✭✭✭endacl

If you want to be qualified to teach, it's a good option. If you want to work as a teacher, who knows...?

There are a lot more people qualified to teach than there are positions to fill. Plus, since the unions looked after existing members rather than the profession as a whole, if you end up working in Dublin, you'll need a second job anyway, because the conditions for new entrants are so poor.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 EugiePanucci

Thanks Endacl. While I will obviously put a bit more consideration into it, your straight up answer is appreciated. I'm looking at it through rose tinted glasses and perhaps need to be more realistic.

You'll also have to consider retirement. Your measly pension (under the new agreement) won't be worth much. Better than no pension, but still not worth much. Beginning in your mid 40s leaves you half the years to contribute. You can of course top this up by means of an AVC, which will come of your gross, but your salery, if you managed by some miracle to secure a full time post in year 1, will be limited enough.

I'm not trying to knock your dream here, but it is better to go in with both eyes open.

Advantages you do have: you're male, and schools may find that attractive for reasons of balance in the staff room. If you've played any sports before, get some coaching badges. Schools like coaching badges.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 EugiePanucci

Enda,
    Your straight forward answers are what is needed, if not to form a definite answer but to at least consider. I have been through the whole thing of starting at the bottom rung within a sector and its not good. I have a few months to consider things.
    Thanks,
    Panucci

Best of luck with it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

Just to clarify, the government (the employer) cut the pay of new entrants not the unions. The unions don't have the power to cut pay-they don't pay us.

OP there is oversubscription in teaching at both levels. There is the advantage that at least at primary if you get a job it will be full time rather than secondary where you would be likely to get part time.

You would need to talk to a primary teacher in regards to the levels of paperwork required. There's certainly plenty of paperwork getting through the PPME. There are differences of opinion of the level of planning and paperwork once qualified

The reality as I see it is you could be very lucky and land into a school with a job in year one or two. However you could be many years doing the part time circuit and that would have a substantial on your pension because of your age entering

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

In primary, there are many , many teachers only doing a few hours of SEN teaching as that is all they can get. The new SEN model to be introduced in September next will most likely mean even those hours are abolished.

There are hundreds of qualified teachers out there with experience.The old idea of "having a male teacher on staff "is long gone in any school I know. Teachers are appointed on merit, not gender

If you will excuse the presumption, I take it that, being older, you have some ties to a particular area. That would mean less job options too.

The paperwork for primary is never ending and the new language curriculum will take it to new heights/lows- we seem keen to ape the failing English system, where over 50% of newly qualified teachers leave the profession within 5 years.
    Corrections where you could be doing at a minimum 3 sets of corrections by 30 per night add to the workload.

For me, there is no job like it, I love it, but hand on heart, I have told my own young relations to do something else.

If you think teaching is for you,you need to get some kind of work experience with primary children. That will give you a better idea of what the job might involve.

Advertisement