Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

3rd party Insurance

• 16-10-2016 12:37pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,825 ✭✭✭✭

As some of you may know my brother wrote off our car after hitting a parked car.
    Damage was quite large to the parked car and ours is being scrapped.
    Liability lies with me now.
    As our car is 3rd party I understand that it works in a way that his insurance company will contact our insurance company and asking them to pay the x amount.
    What I don't know is if my insurance company will ask me to pay them back?
    I suspect I'll be paying the excess but what about the rest?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 397 ✭✭Carlosthejakal

No, your insurance covers all expenses to the injured party and their vehicle. You get nothing for the damage to your car. You may be asked to pay the excess, which is normally small depending on your policy.

Was your brother covered to be driving your car ? If not then you could be 100% liable for all expenses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,517 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

You will pay the excess only providing there was no issue with your brother being not licenced to drive on their own in which case they may seek full repayment of damage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,825 ✭✭✭✭bear1

You will pay the excess only providing there was no issue with your brother being not licenced to drive on their own in which case they may seek full repayment of damage.

Sound as always Atlantic 😊

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭DakarVert

Was your brother covered under your insurance? Named driver or open drive? If so it'll be your insurance paying out OR if he was driving with a 3rd party extension from his policy it'll be his insurance paying out.

No, your insurance covers all expenses to the injured party and their vehicle. You get nothing for the damage to your car. You may be asked to pay the excess, which is normally small depending on your policy.

Was your brother covered to be driving your car ? If not then you could be 100% liable for all expenses.

Yeah he was covered cause on the continent it's the car that is insured not the driver so as long as you have a licence.
    Just wondering how it worked.
    As for our own financial loss and now guaranteed increased premium I'll be seeking repayment from him which he said he will be paying anyway.

• Advertisement

Does the victims insurance in the mean time pay for the repairs of his car until my Insurance pays them back?
    Don't want the victim to be even more inconvenienced

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,087 ✭✭✭Pro Hoc Vice

bear1 wrote: »
    Yeah he was covered cause on the continent it's the car that is insured not the driver so as long as you have a licence.
    As for our own financial loss and now guaranteed increased premium I'll be seeking repayment from him which he said he will be paying anyway.

So this did not happen in Ireland!

So this did not happen in Ireland!

Nope but I believe the process works more or less the same. Just couldn't remember.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭savagethegoat

was he driving with your permission?
    was he a named driver?
    What do you mean by "on the continent"? Do you live other than in Ireland and is it a foreign insurance policy?

Nope but I believe the process works more or less the same. Just couldn't remember.

I don't understand as you said in answer to a question re your brother being covered "Yeah he was covered cause on the continent it's the car that is insured not the driver"

If this is in Ireland what does his cover have to do with European policy that the car is covered.

• Advertisement

Ok.
    This didn't happen in Ireland, it happened in Italy.
    The car is insured so anyone with a licence can drive it. Think of it as open drive.
    Permission he had.
    Car is not Irish and the neither is the policy.
    Hence he is covered.

Ok.
    This didn't happen in Ireland, it happened in Italy.
    The car is insured so anyone with a licence can drive it. Think of it as open drive.
    Permission he had.
    Car is not Irish and the neither is the policy.
    Hence he is covered.

Then I doubt many on Irish boards know much about Italian motor insurance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭savagethegoat

not a lot of point asking on an Irish forum for opinions then, most if not all of us know nothing about Italian insurance.

Then I doubt many on Irish boards know much about Italian motor insurance.

Probably but I was just asking as a matter of curiosity.
    I believe it works the same there as here. Just had some thoughts niggling in my head and couldn't find anything useful on Google.
    Plus there are a few Italians on this website 😉

not a lot of point asking on an Irish forum for opinions then, most if not all of us know nothing about Italian insurance.

Yeah, as I said I couldn't find anything relevant so thought i would give it a try here.

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭JackHeuston

Hi OP, Italian here.

If the car was insured with the RC auto (the most basic cover), then your insurance will pay the damages to the other car. They won't give anything to you or your brother, simple as that.

Your insurance company may increase your premium after this.

Hi OP, Italian here.

If the car was insured with the RC auto (the most basic cover), then your insurance will pay the damages to the other car. They won't give anything to you or your brother, simple as that.

Your insurance company may increase your premium after this.

And we are done.
    Grazie mille 😊

Advertisement