Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tips on teaching the elderly how to use computers?

Options
  • 16-10-2016 1:17pm
    Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭

My mother is totally technophobic - has zero clue about any technology really - she can just about use Sky to watch tv and record, and she has an old flip phone and can send a basic text, that is the limit of her knowledge. However she's now widowed and on her own so we need to try to get her using some tech - as its now or never. So I bought her a nice little 8" Lenovo tablet - as this should be easier than using a laptop. I'd like her to be able to look at facebook so she can see what all the family are doing, and use Skype to talk to her daughter and grandkids overseas.

I'm looking for some tips from anyone else who has done the same - and what I can try to get her using it. All of this is 2nd nature to me, but its totally alien to her.

I have a shared Google Drive document on her homepage labelled "Instructions" which I can update with how-to-instructions, and I'll also print it out for her. I've set up TeamViewer so I can remotely help. I put lots of family photos on there and I'll try to get her set up on whatsapp too.

Has anyone else been through the same and does anyone have any tips to get her interested?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

Get her a basic laptop ,4gig ram, windows 7 on adverts.ie
    show her how to use chrome.install skype.Show her how to use rte tv player.
    put it in as a favorite bookmark.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 950 ✭✭✭mickmackmcgoo

Zascar wrote:
    Has anyone else been through the same and does anyone have any tips to get her interested?

Been there . It's like teaching a family member how to drive - usually it's a disaster. The best people to show older people about technology are usually their grandkids as they take more pleasure in doing it . My own mother went to the local library for 6 weeks . 2 hours one afternoon and they ran a free course for older people on using laptops, tablets and smart phones . She had great fun and it was all people her own age and they were taught by transition year students from a local school. On the downside , she does send an awful lot of messages on WhatsApp:)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,519 ✭✭✭Gormal

One thing at a time. Get her a notepad and pen to jot down her own notes. You'll have to be very basic about things to start with, no technical jargon. From the simple thing like switching it on to connecting to the internet.

I would start with the simplest thing first (I'm sure the tablet scares her too at the moment, because it is all new to her). If you are printing stuff out make sure there are pictures of the stages, so she knows what you are on about. But really it's best if there is somebody there to show her the ropes (so to speak) in the beginning until she gets used to it all. Encourage her all the way, we all had to start somewhere after all. You may have to simplify things completely and above all be extremely patient.

To start with, one thing at a time, like Skype. Keep everything very basic. Let her write it down while you show her how to do it slowly and when to know that she can call them. You or somebody has to do it for her and then with her for the first while, until she gains the confidence to do it on her own. Once she sees the benefits of skype and how she can see everyone ( I assume you are going to do skype to skype), she will want to use it.

Once you think she has the hang of that, then start her off gently on the next one, like you mentioned facebook. This is going to be a big one for her to remember (2nd nature to us but try looking at it from her point of view, if you knew zero) You can set up the account, she can watch, remember to set all the privacy settings, private profile, share with friends only etc for her. (that will only scare the life out of her). There is actually a heck of a lot for her to learn and remember if you really sit down and think about it. (hence the notepad and pen).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

My cousin, who's a year younger than me (I'm 59), asked me to bring him into the 21st century last year; it didn't go well. He couldn't get his head around some concepts. Would not try to learn.
    Frinstance, some things that were troublesome:
    The difference between visiting a site and logging in. Not helped perhaps by adverts that say log on to www.xyz.com
    The word 'default' as in option if you don't choose another. He associated it with "defaulting on a loan"
    Having an account with a site, he was worried it would cost him money.

Ah well.

Also, perhaps your mother might do better with a regular keyboard rather than a tablet?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Big Lar

Find out what her interests are, I have a 74yr old aunt and she loves bridge so i set her up with bridge online and she got the hang of that no problem, two years later she is able to look at RTE news and rip.ie.
    That's all she needs and is interested in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

IT think it s easier to learn on a pc or a laptop ,
    even plug a usb mouse into the laptop if she wants to use it on a table ,
    While you teach her .i print one item out maybe once a year.
    Teach her what a browser is,what is login ,.logout out.
    set her up with a gmail account, and a youtube account.
    Theres lots of old films ,tv programs on youtube .how to download a podcast.
    All bbc radio is free on youtube .bbc 4 and bbc radio 2 .How to listen to radio live on a laptop or a tablet.librarys have books beginners guide to pcs.
    4Gig ram dual core cpu 2.0ghz laptop is 150 on adverts.ie
    printing is not that important, when you can email a link to anyone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Turtle_

Big Lar wrote: »
    two years later she is able to look at RTE news and rip.ie.
    That's all she needs and is interested in.

God, there's something a bit sad about that!

Skype is a good one if you add contacts for her. It's very similar to making a phone call so shouldn't be extremely alien.

Email also good, because it's so similar to writing a letter.

When she has the hang of those, only then would I look at things like Facebook. I'd say in the initial stages you should set up her privacy settings for her and as she gets used to it then you can introduce more.

Trying for everything all at once will overwhelm her and potentially put her off completely.

I'd echo the advice above about finding a course. Lots of schools and libraries run courses to introduce the elderly to technology. She may feel less at sea with it all if she sees others of her generation learning with her and asking questions she wants to know etc..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Big Lar

Turtle_ wrote:
    God, there's something a bit sad about that!

There is if you judge her by the standard of where the majority of PC users are but from her perspective "She's Flying".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Turtle_

Big Lar wrote: »
    There is if you judge her by the standard of where the majority of PC users are but from her perspective "She's Flying".

I meant that the news and death notices were what she looks at online.. Suppose it's like old people getting the paper and reading it from the back so they find out who's died!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭excollier

here is some advice I found useful

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭PrzemoF

Tell her that she can't break it. I heard quite a few times "I broke it, all my emails are gone!". In reality the tab with emails was folded.

Solitaire seems to be quite good to break the barrier for some people.

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭Joe Exotic

OP not sure how old your mother is so may not be appropriate but :

https://www.ageaction.ie/how-we-can-help/getting-started-computer-training

Supposed to be good enjoyable classes but if you not in Dublin may not be one close.

You may find though that your local community groups run this kind of course

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭bigpaudge

I tried to teach my mother in law (77) how to use a tablet... it didn't go well... she doesn't understand what a browser is, forgets the next day what you told her the day before... unless the person seriously wants to learn you're flogging a dead horse. Concepts of viewing information that is stored on a server somewhere else and downloaded to a PC or Tablet is beyond the comprehension of most elderly people.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,976 ✭✭✭Cordell

Teach them like this: to do that you press this. Don't try to make them understand, don't try to make them know what you know. Write down the instructions if needs so.
    I know it can be frustrating, I've been there.

Advertisement