Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hydraulicence disc brake advice

Options
  • 16-10-2016 1:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭

Hi I was working on a an almost new and unused mtb this morning, and an over eager me pressed the front brake lever after removing the front wheel. This resulted in oil leaking at the caliper from the piston.

Whats required now to sort it. I presume bleeding and re filling with mineral oil. (It's Shimano and is written on the resevoir). Any do's and dont's to be aware of, or is it easier do just drop it into my local lbs.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,618 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

there'll be far more experienced people than me with answers, but one question would be whether you got oil on the brake pads.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

I've done that before myself although I don't recall any oil getting out. You may have turned a seal in the piston which would be a bit of an effort to fix and may be beyond a LBS. Probably best to drop it to at least discover the source of the oil leak.

As above at a minimum replace the pads although it may be possible to clean them but personally I'd get rid of them. If for no other reason you don't want to be that guy with the squealing brakes on a spin ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Muckers

iwillhtfu wrote: »
    I've done that before myself although I don't recall any oil getting out. You may have turned a seal in the piston which would be a bit of an effort to fix and may be beyond a LBS. Probably best to drop it to at least discover the source of the oil leak.

As above at a minimum replace the pads although it may be possible to clean them but personally I'd get rid of them. If for no other reason you don't want to be that guy with the squealing brakes on a spin ;)

I removed and cleaned the pads and they seem fine. But I'm wondering if I should empty the remaining oil, and refill. I prefer doing stuff like this myself as I like to see how things work. But if guys on here think it's a job for the lbs then so be it

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,754 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Changing the oil is easy enough, did it for the first time myself a couple of weeks ago, but AFAIK you shouldn't be getting a leak through the pistons even with the pads removed.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

Muckers wrote: »
    I removed and cleaned the pads and they seem fine. But I'm wondering if I should empty the remaining oil, and refill. I prefer doing stuff like this myself as I like to see how things work. But if guys on here think it's a job for the lbs then so be it

You'll have to check the pads with a bit of force behind then mine seems fine till I was going down a trail and no matter how hard I pulled the lever the brakes never really grabbed on 100%

I wouldn't even know where to begin rebuilding a caliper or checking the pistons but I get what you're saying I wouldn't mind knowing nyself.

• Advertisement
Advertisement