Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

which wellies

• 16-10-2016 3:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭

Hi everyone.

Looking for a suggestion for wellies. I have a pair at the moment I got in penny's years ago and they do the job for the small bit of work I do around the yard at home.

My OH and his family do a good bit of shooting and after shooting my first duck last week I've got a bit hooked.

With shooting season coming up in want to buy a decent pair of wellies that I can hunt in all day, comfy warm and don't break the bank. Suggestions?

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Welcome to the forum.
    With shooting season coming up in want to buy a decent pair of wellies that I can hunt in all day, comfy warm and don't break the bank. Suggestions?

Muck boots are among the best for all types of conditions. They are functional, very warm, good grips, waterproof, and come in an array of designs.

The drawback with them, and other types, is price. They can go from €75 to €140.

There is another brand called Dublin. They are very similar to Muck, but don't carry the high price tag. I have apair and they are just as warm, waterproof, etc. However they don't have the same grip quality as Muck, and i find the boot height shorter than the Muck. Small things, but important none the less.

Have you a budget in mind?
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭HeadWrecked93

Cass wrote:
    Have you a budget in mind?

Was hoping no more than 50euro but suppose I could strech to 75 for a very good boot

Unfortunately the Muck start at €75. Size, design, etc. in that price range may not suit so price will only go up from there.

I ordered the Dublin ones online. Had them within a week, and they cost €40 delivered (on sale from €80). Others will be along shortly with other recommendations, but they are the two on both ends of the spectrum in terms of price that i'd suggest.

For the weather that is being forecast in the coming weeks/months, i'd definitely stay with wellies and avoid boots.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Cass wrote:
    I ordered the Dublin ones online. Had them within a week, and they cost €40 delivered (on sale from €80). Others will be along shortly with other recommendations, but they are the two on both ends of the spectrum in terms of price that i'd suggest.

What website did you use?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭ezra_

Barbour and thick socks.

30 quid for the boots, great sole on them and the sock means you aren't freezing when out for a while.

• Advertisement

ezra_ wrote:
    Barbour and thick socks.

Where are you finding barbour for 30 quid?

Where are you finding barbour for 30 quid?

Courtlough are selling them for that.

What website did you use?

I'll have to check. It was over 3 years ago now. It was an Irish site, but because they are called Dublin they're hard as feck to find. Keep getting results about the city.

ezra_ wrote:
    Courtlough are selling them for that.

They are 100 in courtlough, I enquired and that was what I was told

I bought a set for 30.
    bought a set for a mate also, and the girlfriend got a set for herself.

All at 30...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭cookimonster

Seeland Moore Stable 18cm / 5mm Neoprene Wellington Boots

I use these for rough shooting, great for walking long distance, waterproof and warm. I suffer from bad circulation and hence have cold feet. These are the biz, I have them for three years now no problems.
    There outside of your budget, €99.00, but boots like these ( muck boots etc) are well worth it for the comfort.
    moor-stable-18-5mm.jpg
    Sportsden stock them.

http://www.sportsden.ie/clothing/seeland-clothing/seeland-moor-stable-18-5-wellington-boots.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 451 ✭✭FISMA.

Looking for a suggestion for wellies...

My OH and his family do a good bit of shooting and after shooting my first duck last week I've got a bit hooked...

HeadWrecked93,
    Have you a discipline in mind or are you looking just for wellies?

When I'm after the ducks, I usually use a full set of waders, like these. Where I shoot along the Shannon has lots of reeds that when going through, are at least waist deep. I've been chest deep to. Tend to avoid those situations nowadays.

Some of my best deer permissions are in areas with large drains. In these areas and for the ducks, I find a pair of hip waders are best. Wellies are just too short for crossing deeper drains.

All that said, if your area is forgiving, at the very least, get tall wellies, like 17", like these.

I like to be able to cinch the wellies to make them more quiet for stalking. Thus, it's nice to have the strap on them.

Also, nice to have the tab at the heel to help remove them.

Lastly, the flex at the back is nice to have when you're walking a lot.

Either go as cheap as possible until you know what you want or thrown down some dosh and get something high end. Your feet will thank you later.

Duck and pheasant shooting. The duck pond is on their land and easy shoot can do it in runners as the dogs retrieve.

Havnt gone pheasant shooting yesterday but I think they mainly walk the headlands of fields surrounding them which are all decent agri land so presuming just a pair of normal mid calf length wellies would so.

Looking for cheap and cheerful wellies and maybe hunter welly sock or other that people suggesr

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 420 ✭✭tomtucker81

I got a pair of muck boots, muckmaster last year. A little bit more if I recall than what you say your budget is, but warm, good soles and grip for walking, and they're a good tall welly too.

I got mine in sportsden in navan. They have online shop too so have a look. I'd definitely recommend them. (The boots!)

http://www.sportsden.ie/the-original-muck-boot-company-muckmaster.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭ronn

You can go to your local co-op and get Dunlop wellies for cheap, good pair of thick socks will get ya started,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭Bogwoppit

ronn wrote: »
    You can go to your local co-op and get Dunlop wellies for cheap, good pair of thick socks will get ya started,

That's what my last pair were, did fine for a season.
    I have a pair of Hoggs neoprene lined ones now, very good boot. They have Vibram soles but they're around the €100 mark afaik.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 132 ✭✭brieny1000

Im Just after getting my 2nd pair of aigle parcours. 1st pair lasted 8 years and put up with everything I gave them. I don't shy from cover and I also used them while building my house with the odd day in concrete!!. They are the most comfortable footwear i have. During the summer 1 boot started a small leak so I invested in the new parcours outlast. Buy once cry once

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 396 ✭✭useurowname

20% off Hunter at Sportsden Navan, checkout the website. Top class boot in particular the neoprene Balmoral

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭cavan shooter

Dunlop purofoot and a good pair of hiking socks....beautiful boots for around €45

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,716 ✭✭✭lefthooker

I go thru wellies at a rapid rate and found cheap wellies a waste. Best pair I've had are Aigle Paracours ISO, got 11 months out of them. Wearing normal Paracours now, cheaper at only €130. We'll see how long they last. My gf wanted a pair of wellies for when she visits the farm, got her a pair of Aiglentines which she loves. Pricey tho. I steered her away from Hunters, lethal on wet concrete, no grip at all.

• Advertisement
Advertisement