Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

OK to boil a chicken marinade and use as a sauce?

Options
  • 16-10-2016 5:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,677 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I made this Chicken Marinade and look forward to grilling the chicken in a couple of days time when it has had time to really soak up the flavours.

I like trying different chicken marinades as I find them very useful to have in the fridge as a quick lunch or snack for the kids but this recipe also suggests that once you have removed the diced chicken from the marinade and placed under a grill to cook you "bring the remaining marinade up to a boil, let simmer until slightly reduced, it makes a wonderful sauce to go on top of the chicken."

I always assumed anything which had raw chicken soaking in it couldn't then be used as a pour over sauce. Am I wrong? This is the first recipe where I've noticed the author suggesting to boil the left over marinade to use as a pour over sauce.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

You are cooking the marinate/sauce, and so cooking any chicken juices in it.

I do this the odd time. I will often add potato starch or corn flour to cold water and then add it to the marinate, so it becomes more of a thick sauce. I might keep it for another dish.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

I always assumed anything which had raw chicken soaking in it couldn't then be used as a pour over sauce. Am I wrong? This is the first recipe where I've noticed the author suggesting to boil the left over marinade to use as a pour over sauce.

It's shouldn't be an issue once the sauce is brought to a proper boil to kill any bacteria. I've seen plenty of/cooked a few recipes over the years that do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Not unusual at all, I would do this myself. In fact, it will probably have a richer flavour because of the chicken juices in it. Just make sure to bring to a good boil and hold it there for a while to ensure the chicken juices are cooked through.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,677 ✭✭✭54and56

Thanks all, don't know why this was a blind spot for me. What ye say makes total sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭GHOST MGG

I personally would never marinate chicken for more than 24 hours..it does not need longer than that in my experience..
    Boiling the marinade to make the sauce is ok if boiled thoroughly,but again due to safety concerns with raw chicken i prefer to reserve some marinade before i add the chicken and use that for the sauce.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,777 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Agreed - marinating for 12-24 hours will give you the maximum flavor penetration possible. Any longer than that is a waste of time TBH.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,677 ✭✭✭54and56

Agreed - marinating for 12-24 hours will give you the maximum flavor penetration possible. Any longer than that is a waste of time TBH.

Made the marinade yesterday afternoon, will be having it for sinner this evening.

Thanks all.

Advertisement