Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband-who is using virgin media in greystones / delgany

Options
  • 16-10-2016 6:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭

Am on vodafone for broadband which is giving a steady 25-30meg download & 7-8 upload. I can get out of my 18 month with VF. I dont need phone, just broadband

On boards I;ve seen some pretty bad comments on virgin media to do with speed throttling / messing about- who appear to be waaay cheaper than anyone else. Anyone got good / bad / indifferent experience using virgin media in the north wicklow area?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,928 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

I'm using it, it's extremely fast (360Mb down/36Mb up) and so far pretty reliable. I have a Samknows box attached to the connection that monitors the speed continuously and we seem to be getting the advertised speed consistently. Comes with a phone service but we don't really use the landline. There were reports of issues with Netflix a few months ago but I think it's been sorted now (I don't use Netflix anway).

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭BigGeorge

Great stuff thank you. Does it come in on the phone line or is it over a cable TV line? I've not got a UPC / Horizon or whatever cable so am not sure how they can promise me those speeds

• Registered Users Posts: 5,663 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

Go to Virgin Media's website and type in your address to see if it's actually live. Not all estates in Greystones/Delgany have VM. If you know there's cabling, it may very well be the old analogue stuff which is obsolete now (and you definitely won't get broadband over it).

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,928 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

it uses TV cables, not the phoneline. AFAIK it is available in Charlesland and Eden Gate where the cabling is relatively new. Elsewhere in Greystones they're upgrading the old Chorus TV cables and it's available so far in Hillside, Heathervue, Bellevue Park, Rathdown Park and one or two other places.

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭ned14

Have VM 240MB and TV in Eden Gate for the past 5 months. No issues with speeds dropping or any drop in connection. You're given a phone number too but it all runs on the VM network.
    Had some minor issues getting setup as I was transferring from another address but nothing off-putting.

• Advertisement
Advertisement