Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Gym Beginner

• 16-10-2016 6:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hey All....Appreciate any help and advice you have to offer please. I am a Slimming World member and have lost 2 stone so far on the plan and have just joined the local FlyFit gym in a hope to aid the weight loss.

My main focus at the moment is the weight on the scales, not tonning. Because of that I think I should avoid weights and stick to cardio. Would I be correct? I dont want to do anything in gym that is going to increase my weight on scales if you get me :-)

My stats are:

36 yrs old
    18 stone
    5 foot 7 Inches

I plan on attending gym 3 to 4 times per week but have no idea regarding program to follow for the cardio. Would anyone be able to recommend a plan for me please???? I would really appreciate it!

Cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,175 ✭✭✭intheclouds

Cardio is dead easy, pick an exercise you like, do it for 20 minutes, and each session increase the difficulty on the machine (so make it faster on the treadmill, more resistance on the rower etc). Over time increase the time.

For me, swimming is the toughest all over cardio, I feel it everywhere! Running is the most difficult for me in the moment although I recover quickly. Rowing is good too. I love the summit climber but it's hard! I never use the cross trainer, too easy. I'm not fond of the bikes, either sit up or recumbent so I never use them.

If you're losing weight then you should add some basic core work to your cardio too. Plank, bridge, side plank, some work with the medicine ball.

For your age and weight you need to consider not injuring your joints so stick with things like swimming, bike etc at first.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭GalwayGrrrrrl

It's actually very hard to gain weight by lifting weights- body builders eat lots of protein and lift very heavy weights. Doing some basic weight lifting will give you a nice toned look and help your clothes for nicely so don't shy away from the weights area. Your gym should be able to write and demonstrate a program for you.
    As for cardio, choose your favourite machine and do 30 mins, choose another machine and do another 15 mins. Don't eat back all the calories the machine says you have burnt (they usually over estimate). My favourite is the cross trainer - simulates running but is low impact.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,853 ✭✭✭Cake Man

Hey All....Appreciate any help and advice you have to offer please. I am a Slimming World member and have lost 2 stone so far on the plan and have just joined the local FlyFit gym in a hope to aid the weight loss.

My main focus at the moment is the weight on the scales, not tonning. Because of that I think I should avoid weights and stick to cardio. Would I be correct? I dont want to do anything in gym that is going to increase my weight on scales if you get me :-)

My stats are:

36 yrs old
    18 stone
    5 foot 7 Inches

I plan on attending gym 3 to 4 times per week but have no idea regarding program to follow for the cardio. Would anyone be able to recommend a plan for me please???? I would really appreciate it!

Cheers
    Whaaa? Doing weights doesn't increase your weight, eating/drinking excess calories = increasing weight. Personally, would highly recommend doing weights over cardio OP. Cardio is good in that it can burn 300/400/500 cals (or whatever) in a session, whereas a weight lifting session may only burn 200-300 in a session. However, it's been scientifically shown that after cardio, that's kind of it in terms of burning calories but after weight lifting the body continues to burn calories at a high level for up to a few days after you did that session. So in the long run, lifting weights actually burns more calories.
    There was a good video going around on Facebook recently basically showing this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

You will gain or lose weight depending on how much you eat, not what type of exercise you do. All exercise burns calories, but not really all that much. Doing weights will help you look better by developing some muscle, and you'll burn more calories by just being alive the more muscle you have.

Stop focussing on the number on the scales and think more about being strong and healthy.

Do weights to be strong and look good.
    Do cardio for cardiovascular health.

Don't exercise because you think it is the reverse of eating.

Advertisement