Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it possible to complain?

Options
  • 16-10-2016 7:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭

I have just found out via property price Register that a house i bid on during Summer was sold in August for 20K less than my last bid.

But to Top it all off, estate agent i was bidding with was up in the house over weekend for the new neighbours house warming. She activly made an effort to avoid me.
    Found out she is good friends with chap who bought the house.

Is it possible to complain about this? House was a bank sale

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,685 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

You must be absolutely fuming, that's downright theft. I'd call you're solicitor that did your conveyance.

I was selling a house a few years ago and some wideboy estate agent called in and basically told me he had a buyer sorted for me and I wouldn't get much more than what he was offering. I went with another estate agent and it sold for a lot more.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Henry94

It would certainly be worth a chat with your solicitor and I'm sure the seller would be interested to know.

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭Needles73

allibastor wrote: »
    I have just found out via property price Register that a house i bid on during Summer was sold in August for 20K less than my last bid.

But to Top it all off, estate agent i was bidding with was up in the house over weekend for the new neighbours house warming. She activly made an effort to avoid me.

I wouldn't let this go. I'd be livid

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭allibastor

Needles73 wrote: »
    I wouldn't let this go. I'd be livid

What can be done. I am absolutly livid

• Registered Users Posts: 6,076 ✭✭✭CollyFlower

I'd also let the bank know.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,307 ✭✭✭✭endacl

What can be done. I am absolutly livid

I'd contact the bank, and let them be absolutely livid too. Then I'd let them contact the lady's employer. I'd imagine whoever she worked for will be interested to hear how she did them out of a nice lump of commission to do her pal a favour. To be on the safe side, I'd contact the agency myself as well. To let them know how livid they should be.

If I had the time, and was feeling particularly vindictive, I'd find a few houses on her list and drop a note in the door addressed to 'the owner', explaining what she'd done before.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,304 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

I'd be livid

I have just gone back through my emails and found the email stating that my bid wasnt highest.

Can people lie with property price register

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

OP, have you got proof that your offer was received and ignored/refused by the agent?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,945 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Do you have written evidence of your higher bid? I doubt you personally have any comeback, but if you have evidence you might be able to cause trouble for her. Possibly the sellers could sue the Estate Agent - she's supposed to work for them, not her mates.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

The estate agent has likely defrauded the seller. You should report this in writing.

• Registered Users Posts: 846 ✭✭✭April 73

The price on the propert price register is put there by the solicitor acting for the purchaser. I can't see the solicitor lying.

OP you have proof in the email that you were told that you weren't the highest bidder. The house subsequently sold for significantly less. Sounds dodgy to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

If it's a bank sale, the receiver or mortgagee in possession have an obligation to get the best price. So they may be in hot water.

Were you or your solicitor in any way awkward in how you went about your affairs? Were you creating any barriers to sale? Could you close the deal in time?

Critically, had you hard cash or a mortgage? Because trust me with some of the banks I dealt with, the properties had to go warts and all, such was the way they'd bollixed the mortgage documents in the first place, thus a cash buyer was seen as a more practical and viable option than getting tangled up with a leveraged buyer and their solicitor.

Also take into account there may be vat in play here, which would not show up in the radar.

Or it could be a scumbag of an auctioneer, I've seen it happen, most recently with an auctioneer come councillor in the West of Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,056 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

I'd be livid. Sounds like a bit of brown envelope stuff

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Is the PPR the full sale price? Didn't think it was?

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭beveragelady

Was there any land at all with the house? As far as I know in cases where there is then the price of the house alone is on the property price register, even if they were for sale as one lot. The house I bought is on the PPR for 27k less than I paid for it because it is on a large site. I don't know what the cut-off is, when it stops being a 'site' and becomes 'land'.

myshirt wrote: »
    If it's a bank sale, the receiver or mortgagee in possession have an obligation to get the best price. So they may be in hot water.

Were you or your solicitor in any way awkward in how you went about your affairs? Were you creating any barriers to sale? Could you close the deal in time?

Critically, had you hard cash or a mortgage? Because trust me with some of the banks I dealt with, the properties had to go warts and all, such was the way they'd bollixed the mortgage documents in the first place, thus a cash buyer was seen as a more practical and viable option than getting tangled up with a leveraged buyer and their solicitor.

Also take into account there may be vat in play here, which would not show up in the radar.

Or it could be a scumbag of an auctioneer, I've seen it happen, most recently with an auctioneer come councillor in the West of Ireland.

The new neighbour is a young Single guy who bought with a mortgage. He put in his offer well before mine.
    I was same boat, mortgage and approval so dont think it was that.

It just seems low, i remember on daft the house sale closing and saying it went for asking, not 20 below.

Was there any land at all with the house? As far as I know in cases where there is then the price of the house alone is on the property price register, even if they were for sale as one lot. The house I bought is on the PPR for 27k less than I paid for it because ie is on a large site. I don't know what the cut-off is, when it stops being a 'site' and becomes 'land'.

No land, its in am estate.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

Highlight it to the ODCE my friend, sounds like they pulled a fast one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭irishgrover

ffs, if true and accurate this must be illegal*

*uneducated opinion/expectation as opposed to legal atement

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭Bells21

Was it a new build house? As far as I know the prices for newly built houses that show up on the register don't include the vat.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭davindub

no regulations on accepting the highest bid, it's not even an auction where they state their rules as part of the sale agreement. They can accept lower cash only offers, offers from friends, etc. So no legal recourse you can take unfortunately.

But let everyone you know about the EA, just don't deal with them ever again and hope everyone else does the same.

House was second hand, in an estate.
    Bank sale, in occiopied for 2 years.

Guy bought it with a mortgage. I know it was from county council, if that makes a difference.

Boards rules wont let me name and shame

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

April 73 wrote: »
    The price on the propert price register is put there by the solicitor acting for the purchaser. I can't see the solicitor lying.

OP you have proof in the email that you were told that you weren't the highest bidder. The house subsequently sold for significantly less. Sounds dodgy to me.

could there have been cash involved?
    a house near me sold a price + cash for banking reasons.
    edit no cash if it was the co co so it was defrauding the council by the ea
    you soo should follow up on this

• Registered Users Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭Rackstar

Relax this could be easily explained. I've seen sale agreed, survey done, survey throws up 20/30k of work that needs to be done. Sale agreed price is renegotiated taking into account what was found on the survey.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Lodge a complaint with the Property Services Regulatory Authority. Estate agents are obliged to maintain a register of all offers on a property.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭davindub

House was second hand, in an estate.
    Bank sale, in occiopied for 2 years.

Guy bought it with a mortgage. I know it was from county council, if that makes a difference.

Boards rules wont let me name and shame
    Just saying, the highest bid is not always the one accepted.

I am purchasing a house and it is a horrible process so you have my sympathies. There was one house I wanted to view that was apparently being sold by a bank and the EA hadn't the keys, so it was not possible to view. When I rang a couple of weeks later it was sale agreed, so i'd imagine it does happen that EA's sell to people they know.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

athtrasna wrote: »
    Is the PPR the full sale price? Didn't think it was?

Second hand homes are full price. New builds are Ex-VAT on the PPR.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,685 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

davindub wrote: »
    no regulations on accepting the highest bid, it's not even an auction where they state their rules as part of the sale agreement. They can accept lower cash only offers, offers from friends, etc. So no legal recourse you can take unfortunately.

But let everyone you know about the EA, just don't deal with them ever again and hope everyone else does the same.

I have my head in my hands now. Thanks for the info though.

• Advertisement

Other than mates rates i dont really know whats up with it.

Just a pain as even at asking it was good value, and my bid was at asking.

Advertisement