Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it possible to complain?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,833 ✭✭✭Alkers

John_Rambo wrote:
    I have my head in my hands now. Thanks for the info though.

The bank aren't likely to be happy with this arrangement though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭allibastor

Simona1986 wrote: »
    The bank aren't likely to be happy with this arrangement though!

Dont know what bank it is with, but i dont know at this stage if it would help. I imagine any offers would be "lost" if someone went looking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭SB_Part2

Maybe their bid was higher than yours but after a structural survey they negotiated less?

SB_Part2 wrote: »
    Maybe their bid was higher than yours but after a structural survey they negotiated less?

Not sure on this, i was chatting to the guy this morning, he did indeed bid his normal offer. He was told he was only bidder, which he found odd

• Registered Users Posts: 25,965 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Do you have any proof that it's the EA's doing, and now the previous owner?

Maybe the seller didn't want to accept your bid. There are estates where it happens - sellers actively try to get someone their neighbours will approve of.

Agree it's less likely than the case that the EA just did their mate a favour. But it can happen. And as someone said, unless public money is involved, there's no legal requirement to accept the highest - or any - bid.

• Advertisement

Do you have any proof that it's the EA's doing, and now the previous owner?

Maybe the seller didn't want to accept your bid. There are estates where it happens - sellers actively try to get someone their neighbours will approve of.

Agree it's less likely than the case that the EA just did their mate a favour. But it can happen. And as someone said, unless public money is involved, there's no legal requirement to accept the highest - or any - bid.

Hi,
    I already live in the estate, house opposite. I know the sellers well enough, they have moved abroad in the last 2 years. They knew about my bid as I had emailed a copy of CC to them on it. I have sent an email asking them if they were told I pulled out, as another neighbor who speaks to them often said they were surprised my name wasnt on the deeds.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Jet Black

If it was a bank sale they owners would have zero input apart from signing the deeds over when closing.

The situation does sound suspect. When I bought from a bank my solicitor said the price is non negotiable. If I found faults with the property and wanted the price lowered I couldn't. I would have to walk away and the next bidder would get the house. I was told this is standard for the bank I was buying from.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 OscarBluth

We recently bought after a year looking and out of interest I looked up the PPR for three properties we'd been the underbidders on.

All three went for less than we'd offered, most in the 10-20k range, which startled me. But then, we got our house for 5k less than we went sale agreed at - in our case, the survey came up with 40k more work than we anticipated, we tried to negotiate harder but they said the house clearly needed work (true, we just hadn't thought it was that much work) and they wouldn't drop any more off.

All these houses went for circa 50-70k+ initial asking, so maybe they were more flexible negotiating as a result but it seems to be more common than you'd expect.

One I was quite annoyed by though - it went sale agreed for 30k under what we had bid on, which I imagine was the result of a survey. However, we had family who were able to give us quite a clear idea of how much work was needed, which informed our highest bid as we were factoring in the cost of that work. I feel with a drop that considerable, maybe they should go back to previous bidders. But then, that would defeat the purpose of going sale agreed.

Its a difficult situation, but it isn't necessarily a dodgy one. In this instance, I would be tempted to approach the bank again though just to be sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,358 ✭✭✭Tefral

If the Estate Agent is a member of the Society of Chartered Surveyors they would be very interested in this.

They are actively stamping out irregularities in the Property Sectors.

The Society of Chartered
    Surveyors Ireland
    38 Merrion Square
    Dublin 2:

Tel: (01) 6445500
    Email: info@scsi.ie
    Web: www.scsi.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭crazyderk

A neighbor of mine sold their apt and all their furniture for 150K. it then went on the price property register for 120K because thats how they split the deal.

Could it be something like this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Jet Black wrote:
    If it was a bank sale they owners would have zero input apart from signing the deeds over when closing.

If it was a forced bank sale then it's likely there is negative equity involved that the owners might owe the bank. So they may indeed have an interest in an under priced sale.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

Your bid and email could easily be disregarded by the estate agent as "That person lived across the road, they were attempting to disrupt/delay the sale as he doesn't want anyone moving in across the road, he was wasting my time and from meeting him in person X amount of times, I believe that he never actually intended to complete the sale, for the reason I disregarded his bids."

Your word against his and he will win.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭mel123

As other posters have said, there is a number of reasons why it could have went sale agreed under your offer, and then there are suspicions of reasons why it went under your offer also.
    I would start with the estate agent, id call in or phone them, and just simply ask them and see what they say and go from there before lodging complaints etc.
    Dont mean to rub salt in the wound, but such a pity you didnt know the neighbour was putting the house up for sale and you could have just dealt direct with the neighbour. Something like this happened to be before, i was raging, didnt even get the house in the end!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭Shelflife

Interesting thread, I was the underbidder in a similar (Bank) sale. My last bid was €174, I was told that there was a bid of €176 then put on it.

I checked the property reg and the sale price is €170.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭themusicman

Just 1 point to be aware of the possibility...I know because i was that soldier

A property i was bidding on went for under my final bid....BUT when my last bid was rejected i did inform the estate agent that i was out.....and therefore they didnt contact me again..

you may argue that they should have...but they may argue that i had indicated i was no longer interested...

Just a possible explanation

But doesnt change the horrible feeling

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭q85dw7osi4lebg

In some instances, if an issue is found with the house after survey, a reduction can be offered by the vendor (and often is) to ensure the deal completes.

Thanks for the posts.

I checked with agent today, house was sold for as is price in register. The estate agent i dealt with no longer works there, has moved to a new place.

Estate agent company had no idea of my bid, as far as records show only one bid was made, which was succesful one.They will be looking into it.

House was a bank sale, but all bank sales unless reposessions need owner to accept. Owners were told i dropped out.

I have a string of 14 emails for viewing, 2nd viewing and offer, then follow up to offer.

Jet Black wrote: »

The situation does sound suspect. When I bought from a bank my solicitor said the price is non negotiable. If I found faults with the property and wanted the price lowered I couldn't. I would have to walk away and the next bidder would get the house. I was told this is standard for the bank I was buying from.

Price is AMV which is average market value, but is negotiable, your solicitir sounds bad

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

allibastor wrote: »
    Thanks for the posts.

I checked with agent today, house was sold for as is price in register. The estate agent i dealt with no longer works there, has moved to a new place.

Estate agent company had no idea of my bid, as far as records show only one bid was made, which was succesful one.They will be looking into it.

House was a bank sale, but all bank sales unless reposessions need owner to accept. Owners were told i dropped out.

I have a string of 14 emails for viewing, 2nd viewing and offer, then follow up to offer.

What do you want to happen now? Do you want to pursue the EA in some way, get them sacked from their current employer? Blacklisted from the business?
    If the estate agent is your neighbors friend, are you likely to run into him often, what will your relationship be like with the neighbor?

Senna wrote: »
    What do you want to happen now? Do you want to pursue the EA in some way, get them sacked from their current employer? Blacklisted from the business?
    If the estate agent is your neighbors friend, are you likely to run into him often, what will your relationship be like with the neighbor?

I dont want them sacked, but i want it officially acknowladged that they had been in contact with regular emails and an official offer which they ignored.
    It wont change the house being sold but maybe for one EA at least it will bring a focus on them needing to act in a proper manner.
    Its been pointed out in multiple threads how bad EA can act.

• Advertisement

A crooked estate agent has no business being an estate agent.

Its a regulated business now so complain to the regulator with your evidence. They will do whatever is appropriate in the light of the facts.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭Shelflife

Well if nothing is done this EA will continue on doing what hes doing.

He has screwed the OP over

He has screwed the sellers over

He has screwed his employer over with reduced commission

He has screwed the solicitor over with reduced commission

There may well be others that were messed around

The buyer may or may not be complicit in this scam, if he is I wouldnt be too worried about my relationship with a cheating underhand person.

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭CaoimheSquee

Thanks for the posts.

You must report to the Property Service Regulator.
    They will go in and investigate the file and if bids have indeed not been logged then this is pretty serious.

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭brickmauser

This <mod snip> has committed fraud and there should a paper trail. Nail her to the wall.

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭happypants

Who cares what happens to the estate agent or what the neighbour thinks?? That's what's wrong with this country, so corrupt and then people are told not to say anything for fear of what others think. The estate agent has acted unethically and shouldn't be let away with it. I'm sure there are many people on this thread who have dealt with or had suspicions about estate agents in the past, the OP has the chance to report them. I know I wouldn't be letting it lie.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

If it was a forced bank sale then it's likely there is negative equity involved that the owners might owe the bank. So they may indeed have an interest in an under priced sale.

Why would a vendor in negative equity have an interest in an under priced sale, when this means they owe the bank more money? The smaller the difference between sale price and outstanding loan, the less they owe to the bank.

Price is AMV which is average market value, but is negotiable, your solicitir sounds bad

AMV is actually advised minimum value <\semantics>

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭darlett

Zzippy wrote: »
    Why would a vendor in negative equity have an interest in an under priced sale, when this means they owe the bank more money?

I'm sure what was meant was that they would be interested in finding out/investigating/being perhaps further compensated for their house been undersold.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,358 ✭✭✭Tefral

OP check if the EA is a member of the SCSI... you need to pursue this with them if they are. There are heavy heavy fines for this carry on. I am a member and the Ethics is very very stringent.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭draiochtanois

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭CaoimheSquee

Tefral wrote: »
    OP check if the EA is a member of the SCSI... you need to pursue this with them if they are. There are heavy heavy fines for this carry on. I am a member and the Ethics is very very stringent.

Legally you really need to go to the regulator too which can actually prosecute and revoke licenses and give fines.
    Make sure and do that too!

To check they actually have a licence the full list is here:
    http://www.psr.ie/website/npsra/npsraweb.nsf/page/publicregister-reg-of-propserv-prov-en

Advertisement