Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it possible to complain?

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭allibastor

Legally you really need to go to the regulator too which can actually prosecute and revoke licenses and give fines.
    Make sure and do that too!

To check they actually have a licence the full list is here:
    http://www.psr.ie/website/npsra/npsraweb.nsf/page/publicregister-reg-of-propserv-prov-en

Thanks for all input.

To go to a few points.

New neighbour is sound so dont want to fall out, plus i beleive he is genuine in not knowing about other bids.

The EA company is a very large nationwide company. Have licencee office everywhere

My bid has 14 emails of back and forth between agent with offer acceptance.

Couple who sold the house were in severe negative equity, having being 100% first time buyers in 2006.house was bought for nearly twice what it sold for now, so unless they paid of 50% of mortgage from 06 to 13 when they left i imagine they owed a lot to banks

allibastor wrote: »
    Thanks for all input.

To go to a few points.

New neighbour is sound so dont want to fall out, plus i beleive he is genuine in not knowing about other bids.

The EA company is a very large nationwide company. Have licencee office everywhere

My bid has 14 emails of back and forth between agent with offer acceptance.

Couple who sold the house were in severe negative equity, having being 100% first time buyers in 2006.house was bought for nearly twice what it sold for now, so unless they paid of 50% of mortgage from 06 to 13 when they left i imagine they owed a lot to banks

Don't try to moralise it. Its not you against the EA. Give the regulator your experience. Then leave it up to them to do whatever they feel is proper.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭Cunning Stunt

Just report it OP, as everyone here is recommending.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

Senna wrote: »
    What do you want to happen now? Do you want to pursue the EA in some way, get them sacked from their current employer? Blacklisted from the business?
    If the estate agent is your neighbors friend, are you likely to run into him often, what will your relationship be like with the neighbor?

I would want the EA sacked and fined. It's out and out fraud if what the OP is saying is true. Many people were screwed over, or scammed in this (and who knows how many in other sales).

The neighbour has claimed ignorance. So, if he hasn't a clue what actually happened (seems unlikely tbh) then there is nothing that will be done to him. His bid is recorded and accepted and that's all that matters to him. If I was him, I would have no problem co-operating, with the understanding that my home is safe.

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭Flatzie_poo

Thanks for all input.

To go to a few points.

This won't affect your neighbour - contracts are signed. Especially since they're ignorant to what went on.

Even more of a reason to report it - help them stomp out rogue estate agents.

I guarantee they have a policy against conflict of interest in situations such as this.

Report her OP.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭CaoimheSquee

Exactly, even more so if it is a large nationwide agency.
    The Regulator will take it extremely seriously as will the Compliance department within the company. They will come down hard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭newacc2015

OP I would call or write to the former owner about this. If it is a bank sale, the bank might be chasing after them for the residual 20k they didnt get from the sale. It was beyond their control not getting this €20k. Tell them they might want to consider going to the land registry to see who the new owner is.

The former owner has the right to know they were shafted from €20k the bank maybe expecting them to pay

newacc2015 wrote: »
    OP I would call or write to the former owner about this.

Personally, I wouldn't. It could get very messy. Just pass it over to the regulator and let them handle everything.

Just a quick one, i had passed it along to the EA company. They were interested.
    I suppose an EA company has an obligation to get best price. I had said it a few days ago so just awaiting feedback

• Registered Users Posts: 3,517 ✭✭✭Ginger83

Just a quick one, i had passed it along to the EA company. They were interested.
    I suppose an EA company has an obligation to get best price. I had said it a few days ago so just awaiting feedback

I would also looks to inform the EA's current employer as this was fraud and could be ongoing which could cause the current employer problems.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭paul71

If it was a forced bank sale then it's likely there is negative equity involved that the owners might owe the bank. So they may indeed have an interest in an under priced sale.

^^^^^

If it was in negative equity, they have a liability for the difference, the bank would not have a material loss, therefore the original owners have been defrauded if it was a reposesion. That could be fraud and could be criminal.

Just a quick update.

I had a call with owner (franchisee) of the EA.
    He said they can find only one email of mine at all on the system. Which was odd he says as when he typed in my name in the address bar it came up, also the one email which was found was a sent email, which he said does look like it was part of a few emails, something about how it was worded.

He says he has asked his IT crowd to look at it to see can they recover the emails and will look at it again. Has said he will take which ever actions from then on, but wasnt happy to know I had placed a bid a lot higher.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 426 ✭✭Utah

He said they can find only one email of mine at all on the system.

How convenient!

Utah wrote: »
    How convenient!

I imagine some must have been deleted

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Just a quick update.

He said they can find only one email of mine at all on the system. Which was odd he says as when he typed in my name in the address bar it came up, also the one email which was found was a sent email, which he said does look like it was part of a few emails, something about how it was worded.

He says he has asked his IT crowd to look at it to see can they recover the emails and will look at it again. Has said he will take which ever actions from then on, but wasnt happy to know I had placed a bid a lot higher.
    If you have not made a complaint about this issue you should probably consider doing so soon.

Here is the register of Licensed property services providers, you check to see if the woman who has moved is registered?
    http://www.psr.ie/website/npsra/npsraweb.nsf/page/publicregister-reg-of-propserv-prov-en

Here is the information you will need to make a complaint to the PSRA,
    http://www.npsra.ie/website/npsra/npsraweb.nsf/page/whatwedo-investigation-en

which he said does look like it was part of a few emails, something about how it was worded.

They seem to be straight with you. Two things spring to mind though..;

A large regulated financial company should not have a computer system where it is possible for a rogue staff member to delete messages without leaving a trail. Hopefully, their IT systems are up to scratch and will evidence this.

Secondly, I would expect that the company itself has already informed the regulator of the situation. It would be unacceptable in a regulated industry for a company to be aware of a situation like this, try to investigate themselves and not immediately inform the regulator. Otherwise there would be a risk of non ethical behaviour getting swept under the carpet.

They seem to be straight with you. Two things spring to mind though..;

A large regulated financial company should not have a computer system where it is possible for a rogue staff member to delete messages without leaving a trail. Hopefully, their IT systems are up to scratch and will evidence this.

Secondly, I would expect that the company itself has already informed the regulator of the situation. It would be unacceptable in a regulated industry for a company to be aware of a situation like this, try to investigate themselves and not immediately inform the regulator. Otherwise there would be a risk of non ethical behaviour getting swept under the carpet.

I think if they were deleted they might have a back up on central server.

Not sure how advanced the IT would be mind you, large company and all, but each county branch seems to be a franchise

Should it matter though, if they can't recover them, when the OP has a copy of all sent mails?

Should it matter though, if they can't recover them, when the OP has a copy of all sent mails?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

Well the obvious defense from the involved estate agent would be "yes I received all those emails except the last one with the higher bid". Proof of sending is not proof of receipt. If the office can find a copy of that email then it bolsters their case for a complaint.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40 inatissy

Just scanning through this and this is interesting as we had a bid on a house too. We would ring and check every so often, the EA seemed to get frustrated with us calling and telling us that they were waiting for the current occupants to be leave.

During that time we ended up buying elsewhere. Finally we noticed on property register the house went for €18,000 below are last bid. We thought it was very strange that we never got a phone call about our much higher offer.

Fishy stuff going on with EAs.

Well the obvious defense from the involved estate agent would be "yes I received all those emails except the last one with the higher bid". Proof of sending is not proof of receipt. If the office can find a copy of that email then it bolsters their case for a complaint.

There is an email program you can get which shows not only was the email received, but that it was opened also.

I dont have it, but there is such a thing, used in email marketing and so on.

inatissy wrote: »
    Just scanning through this and this is interesting as we had a bid on a house too. We would ring and check every so often, the EA seemed to get frustrated with us calling and telling us that they were waiting for the current occupants to be leave.

During that time we ended up buying elsewhere. Finally we noticed on property register the house went for €18,000 below are last bid. We thought it was very strange that we never got a phone call about our much higher offer.

Fishy stuff going on with EAs.

There does seem to be.
    I have yet another offer in with a house where it is also a bank sale, was just told there now that the bank will not take an offer which is less than the market rate for a house +15%.

Its a different estate agent, but I dont see how one bank sells a house at a loss of possibly 50-60K and another wants to hold out for the amrket to improve 15%

You would think with the recession that all the crappy estate agents would have been weeded out.

Advertisement