Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Binoculars

Options
  • 16-10-2016 9:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭

Going buying binoculars in the near future and have narrowed it down to minox steiner or delta as they are all around the €400 mark,
    The delta titanium 8x56 are the only ones made in china which kind of puts me off a bit even though i looked through them and found them great but no idea what they will be like durability wise, the minox i was looking at were the bv 10x42 and the bl 10x44 hd's so curious to know which would be better, from what i can tell the bv's look more robust but the bl have better glass but could well be wrong, the steiners i was looking at were the skyhawk 3.0 10x42 and the steiner ranger xtreme 10x42, the rangers being more expensive so are they worth it compared to the skyhawks? has anybody compared some of these and if so which did you prefer or recommend and would any of you have and preference of one brand over the others

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭fabwing

I looked through a pair of delta 8x56 and compaired them to my swarovski el not much in the difference only the price, sickened as the delta are every
    bit as good only heavier, time will tell how good they are

ormondprop wrote: »
    Going buying binoculars in the near future and have narrowed it down to minox steiner or delta as they are all around the €400 mark,
    The delta titanium 8x56 are the only ones made in china which kind of puts me off a bit even though i looked through them and found them great but no idea what they will be like durability wise, the minox i was looking at were the bv 10x42 and the bl 10x44 hd's so curious to know which would be better, from what i can tell the bv's look more robust but the bl have better glass but could well be wrong, the steiners i was looking at were the skyhawk 3.0 10x42 and the steiner ranger xtreme 10x42, the rangers being more expensive so are they worth it compared to the skyhawks? has anybody compared some of these and if so which did you prefer or recommend and would any of you have and preference of one brand over the others

• Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭tac foley

Way back when, we used to bulk-buy our service binoculars direct from the Steiner factory in Braunschweig, getting very favourable prices on new ones, but even better deals on factory refurbs. I bought four sets for my own use, from 7x35 to 10x50, for about half-price. It was not possible in any way to tell that they were factory refurbs, and they were similarly guaranteed.

Even now, Steiner represent remarkable value in any kind of optic that they make, and you can be sure that every part really is made right there in the factory - no matter what model you buy, at any price level, the glass is the same.

There is a very interesting movie on Youtube showing the whole process - well-worth watching.

tac

• Registered Users Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭Chiparus

ormondprop wrote: »
    For that money you could get Zeiss terra ed , I don't have a pair but I had a look at them , excellent clarity.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭ormondprop

After a lot of research and reviews and chatting to people the general feedback was that there is virtually very little difference between the minox bl hd's and steiner rangers and i was talking to a crowd that sells both and he said the new minox has better glass but the steiners are more durable but very little between them so personal preferance should decide so i went with the minox, mainly because i preferred the look of them and they have a better field of view and lighter so looking forward to testing them out now
    MINOX_BL_10x44_HD_Web.jpg

Advertisement