Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Aldi and Lidl checkout system

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,844 ✭✭✭✭somesoldiers

One big annoyance for me is people (I have only ever witnessed women at it) standing around in the aisles having conversations. I have often gone around the shop, filled my basket, paid & am heading for the door and some of the ones I met in the first aisle are still standing there gabbing & blocking up the aisle

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,835 ✭✭✭Allinall

One big annoyance for me is people (I have only ever witnessed women at it) standing around in the aisles having conversations. I have often gone around the shop, filled my basket, paid & am heading for the door and some of the ones I met in the first aisle are still standing there gabbing & blocking up the aisle

That's a bit harsh.

Some of these women can be lonely, and that conversation could be the only interaction they have had with another human being in the last 20 minutes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

I pack my bags as they're firing my shopping at me. I am not going to load trolley, unpack, load trolley, unpack, pack. What a liberty.

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭wuzziwig

Funnily enough the blockage at the super 6 the last time I was in Aldi was caused by two men gabbing about hurling. Fecking GAA. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,556 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

It's the ones who abandon their trolley (usually crossways, beside some other obstruction) and wander off looking for their next item, thus completely blocking the aisle, who drive me mad.

I recently had to push a trolley containing a baby out of the way :eek: Just left there, nobody in the vicinity to claim it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭archer22

Ah the things you see in Ireland, a few days ago in the local Aldi there was total confusion when an auld wan tried to return a defective product.Manager and all appeared to sort the problem...eventually after 10 minutes the problem was solved....the product was from the Lidl store down the road!!.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

shedweller wrote: »
    But if im taking the stuff away as fast as its being scanned....??
    Many people try that with full large trolleys and it just doesn't work. It can work very well when people are awake and have a couple of bags of shopping to get.
    wuzziwig wrote: »
    Funnily enough the blockage at the super 6 the last time I was in Aldi was caused by two men gabbing about hurling. Fecking GAA. :rolleyes:
    I'd be telling them the hurleys are in the centre aisle and if they don't get outa my road I'll be testing the quality of the hurleys on them:D
    HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    It's the ones who abandon their trolley (usually crossways, beside some other obstruction) and wander off looking for their next item, thus completely blocking the aisle, who drive me mad.

I recently had to push a trolley containing a baby out of the way :eek: Just left there, nobody in the vicinity to claim it.
    Ah the auld child abandonment in the supermarket. Many parents try but few get out of the car park free and clear:D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,844 ✭✭✭✭somesoldiers

archer22 wrote: »
    Ah the things you see in Ireland, a few days ago in the local Aldi there was total confusion when an auld wan tried to return a defective product.Manager and all appeared to sort the problem...eventually after 10 minutes the problem was solved....the product was from the Lidl store down the road!!.

nice_guy80 wrote: »
    Being stuck behind someone returning something obscure at a LIDL till.

Is there anything more soul destroying??

I was behind a woman a few weeks ago in LIDL who wanted to return something but she didn't have a receipt (kid you not)
    manager was called up, gave the freephone number she could call etc etc

manager walked away, but then copped that the goods had been bought in Aldi, not LIDL and came back to tell her.

same woman?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭archer22

same woman?

Maybe..the one in Aldi had no receipt either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,468 ✭✭✭vandriver

Put the veg that they have to type in a code for at about the 70% mark on the belt .This gains vital seconds to clear everything and perfect your 'is that all the speed you have' look.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭Elliott S

I think that that whole idea of throwing all your messages back in the trolley and repacking at the window has failed in Ireland. I regularly go to 6 or 7 Lidl's and Aldi's and I don't see anyone do it anymore. Why should I double my handling of my shopping to facilitate these corporations? It's not as if they're giving the stuff away. That's my hard earned money I'm giving them.

Hasn't failed in any Lidl or Aldi I frequent. People have embraced it in the ones I visit as far as I can observe. I love the breathing room you get to pack at the window sills and I'm not alone on that. I hate the pressure of packing with a queue looking on. As for double handling your groceries, you're in a no frills, discount retailer. You got huge savings by doing your shopping there, but it costs in other ways. People would be mighty unimpressed if someone started packing at the tills in any of the Aldis and Lidls I go to. There is no room provided at the end of the till to pack for a reason.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,224 ✭✭✭Going Forward

Elliott S wrote: »
    Hasn't failed in any Lidl or Aldi I frequent. People have embraced it in the ones I visit as far as I can observe. I love the breathing room you get to pack at the window sills and I'm not alone on that. I hate the pressure of packing with a queue looking on. As for double handling your groceries, you're in a no frills, discount retailer. You got huge savings by doing your shopping there, but it costs in other ways. People would be mighty unimpressed if someone started packing at the tills in any of the Aldis and Lidls I go to. There is no room provided at the end of the till to pack for a reason.

Yes we know, they want the money but don't really want the person with the money, they're just in the way, but unfortunately the stuff they're selling needs to be bought by someone, preferably someone who conforms to the masterplan and because "there is a cost" if it's cheap, so put a few nice designs on packaging and lots of pictures of nature and farmers in fields smiling down at us and we tend to forget ourselves.

The "huge savings" you mention, I presume you'd still want to make those savings if your till exiting sequence was delayed slightly, you know, as a cost, of being unable to continue to provide window sills if company policy changed on the matter and you were forced to actually pack at the till, or would you dispense with the "huge savings" idea in order to be able to pack at a window sill somewhere else?

It'd be less arcing around really instead of all this handling stuff twice and checking other customers in the queue to see are you in danger of being murdered for delaying them.

Aldildli are like the bus driver who says his job is great, except for the passengers, so at least we know where we stand with the "low frills discount retailer". In out, in out.

They want the custom but not necessarily the customer and it seems to have rubbed off on those in a frenzy to break the record for having their goods scanned and fired back at them.

They were looking for middle class customers recently.

Makes you wonder how they describe the ones they have already..........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

They want the custom but not necessarily the customer and it seems to have rubbed off on those in a frenzy to break the record for having their goods scanned and fired back at them.

They were looking for middle class customers recently.

Makes you wonder how they describe the ones they have already..........
    It might be me but I very much prefer cashier arrangements in Lidl or Aldi to those in other supermarkets. I do grocery shopping out of necessity not because I want to waste some time waiting at the cashiers.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 861 ✭✭✭MeatTwoVeg

meeeeh wrote:
    It might be me but I very much prefer cashier arrangements in Lidl or Aldi to those in other supermarkets. I do grocery shopping out of necessity not because I want to waste some time waiting at the cashiers.

I'm always astounded that there are people who'll pay 30% more for their shopping at Dunne's or Tesco because of what they perceive as a more relaxed and chatty checkout experience.

I've got things to do with my weekend time and shooting the breeze with some surly checkout attendant doesn't figure high in my list of priorities.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭lawlolawl

same woman?

It's always a woman, so yeah, may as well be the same woman.

They are also the ones that **** up the idea of packing at the till.

It would be grand if they would pay attention to what was going on but they'd rather:

- talk on their mobile

-natter away with Mary in front/behind them

-annoy the till operator with some inane blathering about the weather that they've already heard 50 times that day

-try unsuccessfully to wrangle their feral kids who are climbing on every surface available because they were never taught about acceptable public behavior

-dive into their giant handbag to find their purse which is buried under everything else for some reason. Bonus points for making some kind of quip about "sure you could find anything in here". Also, this handbag exploration is only commenced once the total of the bill is said to them because up until then I can only presume they thought that everything in the shop was free so they wouldn't need their purse.

-treat every single occasion a debit card is used as a new and exciting adventure despite using one multiple times daily. Stare blankly at the keypad until you have to be prompted to put in your pin, then remove your card immediately despite the on screen warning not to, start again and complain that there must be "something wrong with the machine"

- If paying in cash, initially whip out near the correct amount in notes and then suddenly decide you might have the exact amount in change. Toss a huge fistful of coppers out on the counter and slowly count them until you realize that you don't have anything even approaching enough and hand over the notes you had in your hand anyway at the start of this nonsense.

TLDR: women are bad and annoying at everyday tasks

• Advertisement

MeatTwoVeg wrote: »
    I'm always astounded that there are people who'll pay 30% more for their shopping at Dunne's or Tesco because of what they perceive as a more relaxed and chatty checkout experience.

I've got things to do with my weekend time and shooting the breeze with some surly checkout attendant doesn't figure high in my list of priorities.

I can pay 30% less for shopping at Aldi or Lidl and still pack at the till .

Best of both worlds.

Either they want my custom, several thousand a year, or they don't.

Whats aldi lidls published position on the packing at the window?

Can I be barred, or just knifed by a customer with no time to spare???

Best of both worlds.

It's as quick to pack at the sill or alternatively slow if you like and is a courtesy to other shoppers and at no extra inconvenience to you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,858 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Best of both worlds.

Why can't you just follow the system like everyone else?

It makes things move faster.

They can refuse to.serve you, and your thousands are a lot less than what a group behind you will spend together. So your not worth much

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 99 ✭✭bigmike99

dbagman wrote: »
    how hard is it to have your empty bags open in the trolley ready to go? I always pack at the till. whats the point in putting the stuff in the trolley twice?

because their employers train them to ask and demand that you empty your trolley completely before you bring it around to the spot with the trolley icon on the ground.

Why can't you just follow the system like everyone else?

It makes things move faster.

They can refuse to.serve you, and your thousands are a lot less than what a group behind you will spend together. So your not worth much

Am I not?

I doubt they'd tell me that, what kind of business would say that to a customer??

They'd probably just give me some corporate waffle about smiling farmers and keeping costs down and Brannans Bread.

How do you know the people in the queue behind want to pack at the windowsill?

• Advertisement

Am I not?

I doubt they'd tell me that, what kind of business would say that to a customer??

They'd probably just give me some corporate waffle about smiling farmers and keeping costs down and Brannans Bread.

How do you know the people in the queue behind want to pack at the windowsill?

This is anecdotal but everyone I know prefers sill-packing. I'd go to Aldis and Lidls in both the rural west of Ireland and in Dublin and it's been embraced in all of them? Packing at the till is no quicker. Till packing is always something I found stressful and you can't do it right with a queue looking on. (Yes, there's a wrong way) My sixty-something parents love sill-packing after a lifetime of packing at the till.

This is anecdotal but everyone I know prefers sill-packing. I'd go to Aldis and Lidls in both the rural west of Ireland and in Dublin and it's been embraced in all of them? Packing at the till is no quicker. Till packing is always something I found stressful and you can't do it right with a queue looking on. (Yes, there's a wrong way) My sixty-something parents love sill-packing after a lifetime of packing at the till.

Stress isn't good is it?

The silent killer.

I'm thinking of running classes for people that are stressed out by difficulties encountered when grocery shopping.

I'll be telling them to share the love, de stress their shopping experience, be cinfident and fight the fear by packing at the fooking till once in a blue moon, take a walk on the wild side:pac:

Stress isn't good is it?

Not in my down time, nope!

Pack at the end of the till in the discount retailer, that's your right. But people in the queue will resent you for it. Hardly anyone likes to dilly dally in supermarkets, they want to get out of there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭FanadMan

Stress isn't good is it?

The silent killer.

I'm thinking of running classes for people that are stressed out by difficulties encountered when grocery shopping.

I'll be telling them to share the love, de stress their shopping experience, be cinfident and fight the fear by packing at the fooking till once in a blue moon, take a walk on the wild side:pac:

Well class runner.....how would you deal with people like me that are socially awkward and can't stand thinking about holding up people in a queue? If I have a few items I'll spread them out on the belt so they are easy to put in one bag. But if I have a trolley full of stuff, most of it get fecked back into the trolley.......mainly because I don't want to hold up the queue. So I try and repack to the trolley and then bag at the shelf.

Am I a bad person? Should I be beaten with Lidls crusty baguettes? Or should I just carry on and say "screw you" to any whingers that are waiting?

Sorry Going Forward - having a bad day :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭Clampdown

Well, the employees have a target of 1,000 items per hour that mgmt expect them to hit, so it's not just the shoppers in the queue who are silently cursing you if you insist on selfishly holding the process up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,675 ✭✭✭exaisle

Why do so many women wait until they've been told the total cost of their shopping to fumble in their handbag for their purse and fumble in their purse for their cash/card?

**Lights blue touch paper and stands well back....;-)

FanadMan wrote: »
    Well class runner.....how would you deal with people like me that are socially awkward and can't stand thinking about holding up people in a queue? If I have a few items I'll spread them out on the belt so they are easy to put in one bag. But if I have a trolley full of stuff, most of it get fecked back into the trolley.......mainly because I don't want to hold up the queue. So I try and repack to the trolley and then bag at the shelf.

Am I a bad person? Should I be beaten with Lidls crusty baguettes? Or should I just carry on and say "screw you" to any whingers that are waiting?

Sorry Going Forward - having a bad day :(

Sound, I'd prefer someone who describes themselves as socially awkward over any amount of thinly veiled borderline violent sociopaths anyday.

Have you noticed the violent sentiment in the thread, people who can't stand stuff or hating this that or the other?

There's a lot of anger brewing beneath the veneer of outwardly calm grocery shoppers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭ronnie085

Didn't read the full thread but just thought about the double handling efficiency argument, to turn it around if it takes an extra minute to pack at the till and just say, which is possible at busy times there is 5+ people in front of you, that's an extra 5 or more minutes queuing, while the cues are backing up more, even longer waiting times and so on, increasing infinitely or something

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Sound, I'd prefer someone who describes themselves as socially awkward over any amount of thinly veiled borderline violent sociopaths anyday.

Have you noticed the violent sentiment in the thread, people who can't stand stuff or hating this that or the other?

There's a lot of anger brewing beneath the veneer of outwardly calm grocery shoppers.

Outwardly calm, inwardly manic as we pack our bags before the call to pay comes along.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭lawlolawl

Well, I know that I'm constantly furious any time I'm forced to deal with the idiot general public. I try to go shopping when it's quiet because other people make it a chore.

I presume I'm not alone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭Flippyfloppy

I read this thread about everyone freaking out about the feckin sill, and I have 5 little words for you, SAY IT TO MY FACE!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,488 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Just put it back in the trolley and pack in bags into the boot of the car. Headwrecking when the idiots insist on organising at the checkout - hoping for the day I'm there and it's the check out operators last day and then just keep pushing the shopping through on to the floor.

If you want to take your time at the checkout, pay the increased costs (which includes check out times/ operators) at Tesco, Dunnes.

I do say it - I can be in rush and part of the attraction of Lidl/ Aldi (as well as value for money) is that it's in and out without all the time of the "mainstream" supermarkets.

The entitlement culture in Ireland even goes to supermarkets - want the cheaper prices (which is based on things like more efficient check out's) but then will do their best to make it less efficient and drive up prices, because it's my right to pack my bags!

Most do - very much the minority that are pig ignorant. Just like most with a trolley full in Aldi and Lidl will let the person with a small number of items go ahead.

I let the first one go, sometimes the second if I have a lot of shopping nbut the third person can wait in the line. Otherwise you could be there all day.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

And then there are those like me who insist on their precious 1c/2c back.

Lidl does not round the change for some reason, they round the total before payment - which is wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,545 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

snubbleste wrote: »
    And then there are those like me who insist on their precious 1c/2c back.

Lidl does not round the change for some reason, they round the total before payment - which is wrong.

Don't get this, if they round the prices up or down to nearest 5 cent then, which is correct then there is no need to round the change.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 666 ✭✭✭maximum12

murpho999 wrote: »
    Don't get this, if they round the prices up or down to nearest 5 cent then, which is correct then there is no need to round the change.

Rounding isn't about individual prices of goods. It's only the change that gets rounded when paying cash.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,480 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Think personally it's the height of ignorance to insist on packing your groceries at the checkout. It's not the system they operate and it's downright rude to decide to hold up everyone else.
    It's not that hard to pack them away on the ledge 5 feet away and that way you pack away at your own pace without holding everyone else up. They're cheaper than Dunnes etc for many reasons, this being one of them.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

murpho999 wrote: »
    If the total is €1.18, the Lidl cashier says that will be €1.20 please.
    Some of us may have €1.18 in exact change or seek not to pay 1.7% extra.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

lawlolawl wrote: »
    ... I try to go shopping when it's quiet because other people make it a chore.

I presume I'm not alone.
    How does this work? If everybody goes shopping when it's quiet, then it's not quiet.

• Advertisement

I'd have the exact opposite experience it's very very rarely I see someone pack at the sill. The two Aldi's that I'm usually in a very busy ones and I would say 95% of people pack at the till and nobody has a problem with it and it all works smoothly imo.

I don't see how you can claim it's as quick or as handy to pack at the sill, it's a stupid system. You are adding an extra step that takes as long as packing the bags by putting them back in the trolley to move to the sill to handle them all again to put them in the bags.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,488 ✭✭✭Macy0161

I would say most in the Aldi's I go in don't pack at the sill either - they put it back in the trolley and pack it into bags at the car. There's packing it in bags, and there's the gob****es that have to organise all the bags - can't even manage to put it on the bloody conveyor belt in the order they want to pack it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

I don't see how you can claim it's as quick or as handy to pack at the sill, it's a stupid system. You are adding an extra step that takes as long as packing the bags by putting them back in the trolley to move to the sill to handle them all again to put them in the bags.
    It's not a stupid system at all. If someone has 50 items in their trolley, then quickly loading them back into the trolley once scanned, is far quicker than trying to load all that into bags at the counter.
    It removes an extra step for the customers waiting behind you if you have an extensive amount of shopping or if you are a very slow packer/payer.

snubbleste wrote: »
    If the total is €1.18, the Lidl cashier says that will be €1.20 please.
    Some of us may have €1.18 in exact change or seek not to pay 1.7% extra.

Rounding up was brought in by Central bank in 2015 for everyone. You can decide to be anal or you can accept that sometimes you will loose and sometimes gain. But the purpose is to get rid of 1 and 2 cent coins because they cost money and time. To argue about that must be a definition of time wasting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

exaisle wrote: »
    Why do so many women people wait until they've been told the total cost of their shopping to fumble in their handbag for their purse and fumble in their purse for their cash/card?

**Lights blue touch paper and stands well back....;-)
    What about the ones who dig out the purse or wallet and take out enough cash but then decide to pay by card and ask for cashback which afaik Aldi/Lidl don't do, so they go back to searching for the cash again.....
    It's not a stupid system at all. If someone has 50 items in their trolley, then quickly loading them back into the trolley once scanned, is far quicker than trying to load all that into bags at the counter.
    It removes an extra step for the customers waiting behind you if you have an extensive amount of shopping or if you are a very slow packer/payer.
    This system has been operated for years in Ireland going back to when Goobays and crazy prices/Quinnsworth were opened around Dublin, the tills all had just a small shelf and you put the shopping onto the shelf and the checkout woman(they were all women back then) rang it up on the big old push button till and placed it into the empty trolley on the far side of the till. You then had a fistful of plastic bags thrust into the trolly as a parting gift as you trotted off to the shelf to pack!
    meeeeh wrote: »
    Rounding up was brought in by Central bank in 2015 for everyone. You can decide to be anal or you can accept that sometimes you will loose and sometimes gain. But the purpose is to get rid of 1 and 2 cent coins because they cost money and time. To argue about that must be a definition of time wasting.
    The rounding must be done on the change though and is a voluntary thing afaik

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,694 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

foggy_lad wrote: »
    The rounding must be done on the change though and is a voluntary thing afaik

I don't see any difference between rounding on the change and rounding on the total cost of items. I don't see how one is practically possible without the other.

Am I missing something?

• Advertisement

lawlolawl wrote: »
    Well, I know that I'm constantly furious any time I'm forced to deal with the idiot general public. I try to go shopping when it's quiet because other people make it a chore.

I presume I'm not alone.

I doubt you are!

There's nothing wrong with seeking a bit of peace and solitude whilst shopping from time to time, almost empty 24 hour Tescos have a certain therapeutic value there.

I suppose if I'm honest I'm astounded by what I perceive as a lack of empathy in this thread.

No one seems to have time for anyone else delaying them and "hate it", and presumably "hate" anyone impeding their progress.

And I don't think that's a good thing for the person or for society.

They seem to want nothing to have nothing to do with personal service or interaction and instead see absolutely nothing ironic with accepting completely shíte service from banks for example with cràp machines and cràp service.

I don't know how they cope with doing mundane tasks that involve real people like queing to buy a stamp or waiting for a plumber to call.

Of course the toe curling forced idiot-American over-ingratiating customer service "model" is the other side of the coin.

I can see where the hate is coming from.

I need a cup of tea, I'm getting stressed thinking about it:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,345 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

osarusan wrote: »
    I don't see any difference between rounding on the change and rounding on the total cost of items. I don't see how one is practically possible without the other.

Am I missing something?

Take 4 individual items currently priced at €0.99.

Rounding on individual price = 4 times €1 = €4, no need to round.
    Rounding on total cost = 4 times 0.99 = €3.96 = €3.95, when rounded.

PARlance wrote: »
    Take 4 individual items currently priced at €0.99.

Rounding on individual price = 4 times €1 = €4, no need to round.
    Rounding on total cost = 4 times 0.99 = €3.96 = €3.95, when rounded.

Sure, I understand that, but I don't think anybody is suggesting Aldi or Lidl or anywhere else are rounding for each individual item (unless only 1 item is being bought).

People are saying rounding should be done on the change, not on the total bill...but what's the difference?

If the final bill is 29.98, rounding the amount up to 30 or rounding the change down to zero...is the same thing.

I must be missing something?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

osarusan wrote: »
    Sure, I understand that, but I don't think anybody is suggesting Aldi or Lidl or anywhere else are rounding for each individual item (unless only 1 item is being bought).

People are saying rounding should be done on the change, not on the total bill...but what's the difference?

If the final bill is 29.98, rounding the amount up to 30 or rounding the change down to zero...is the same thing.

I must be missing something?
    I think the point is, if the total is €29.98, then the cashier should say €29.98, and not €30.00.
    That way you can give them €29.98 if you have it exactly.

I think the point is, if the total is €29.98, then the cashier should say €29.98, and not €30.00.
    That way you can give them €29.98 if you have it exactly.

Ok, that makes sense.

But then if you give them 30, they just give you nothing back.

Info from Central Bank anyway:
    Where a retailer is applying Rounding they can apply it automatically without asking the consumer – it will be up to the consumer to say if they don’t want Rounding applied.

• Advertisement
Advertisement