Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shower switch burnt out

Options
  • 16-10-2016 10:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭

Does anyone have a ball park figure for how much it would cost to replace a burnt out shower switch? The shower has stopped working on me and this seems to be the problem. I'd do it myself but frankly I haven't got a clue how to.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Are you talking about a ceiling pull-cord switch?

Not expensive but figuring out why it failed would be more important than replacing it.

http://www.eurosales.ie/products/1298.html

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Steve wrote: »

Not expensive but figuring out why it failed would be more important than replacing it.

These switches frequently fail. Assuming it is an instantaneous shower it is generally the largest single load in the installation. Many have low quality isolation switches which they switch off when not in use which can shorten the life of the unit considerably. Even more damaging is operating the switch under load conditions.

I would recommend a high quality switch such as MK.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

It's a switch on the wall outside the bathroom. I'm guessing the most expensive will be the call out and labour charge

• Registered Users Posts: 17,097 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

P_1 wrote: »
    It's a switch on the wall outside the bathroom. I'm guessing the most expensive will be the call out and labour charge

As "2011" says make sure you get a good quality switch. The very cheap ones can't handle the load. Personally I prefer to fit 50amp rather than 45amp when I can get them.
    As for your actual question on price. Best option is ring 2 or 3 electricians & ask for a quote over the phone. I would be expecting to pay €100 supplied & fitted give or take a little.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

P_1 wrote:

Switch on the wall is the only way to go imo.

I use to use mk single gang units 45amp without issue.

Pull cords are too much trouble imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Risteard81

Stoner wrote: »

Pull cords are too much trouble imo.
    I would certainly agree in relation to cheap pull cords, but good quality 50A pull cords such as the Crabtree or Click Polar offerings are actually very good and reliable.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

2011 wrote: »
    These switches frequently fail.
    Fail mechanically or electrically?

I read 'burnt out' as an electrical fail as opposed to the string falling off :)

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Fail mechanically or electrically?

I read 'burnt out' as an electrical fail as opposed to the string falling off :)

Generally switches start to fail mechanically which leads to an electrical failure.

The "burn out" formula = the square of the current by the resistance.

or I^2 R, (watts)

An instantaneous shower (which I assume this is) has a high current (a 9.5 kW shower draws around 40 amps). So if the contacts of the switch don't have to have a very high resistance to result in quite a bit of heat being generated.

Mechanical wear can cause the resistance of the switch to increase. This can be exacerbated by operating the switch under land conditions. Frequent operation won't help either.

I get all that, these switches would not normally be expected to open under load though. Which was why I asked was it more prone to mechanical failure.
    In fairness, even 45A resistive is not a big deal to break, inductive is a whole different story..

I get all that, these switches would not normally be expected to open under load though. Which was why I asked was it more prone to mechanical failure.
    In fairness, even 45A resistive is not a big deal to break, inductive is a whole different story..

This switch costs €6.84 + VAT.
    If you pay that little for a switch and you switch it on and off once a day for several years the chances of failure are high.
    When I worked as an electrician I replaced a lot of cheap shower switches like this.
    I can not recall replacing an MK or Crabtree equivalent. You get what you pay for.

• Advertisement

So out of interest how much would an MK or Crabtree switch set you back? Bearing in mind that I'm currently in a rental and the LL is unlikely to invest too much in the place.

So out of interest how much would an MK or Crabtree switch set you back? Bearing in mind that I'm currently in a rental and the LL is unlikely to invest too much in the place.

In the UK they cost £10.31INC VAT

This switch costs €6.84 + VAT.
    If you pay that little for a switch and you switch it on and off once a day for several years the chances of failure are high.
    When I worked as an electrician I replaced a lot of cheap shower switches like this.
    I can not recall replacing an MK or Crabtree equivalent. You get what you pay for.

Not doubting you, just thinking with my engineer and devils advocate hat on as if I was asked to risk assess one.

I don't know anyone who would operate the switch *every time* the shower is used. Would you not agree? I would say these are operated very infrequently?

Not doubting you, just thinking with my engineer and devils advocate hat on as if I was asked to risk assess one.

I don't know anyone who would operate the switch *every time* the shower is used. Would you not agree? I would say these are operated very infrequently?

Do you mean turning it on before you use the shower and turning it off afterwards? I must be the exception then as that's what I was doing 90% of the time. I wonder if that's what broke it :o

Kellihers are MK agents for Ireland, can't find it on the website but if you call them they will quote you.

http://www.kellihers.com/

I don't know anyone who would operate the switch *every time* the shower is used.

I do, my old man always does this. He insists that it is safer to switch it off when not in use. I think he is on his third switch now (no I'm not joking). Strange behavior (especially for an electrical engineer).

Anecdotaly I would say that lot of older people do this sort of thing.

Would you not agree? I would say these are operated very infrequently?

In my house, yes.

Do you mean turning it on before you use the shower and turning it off afterwards? I must be the exception then as that's what I was doing 90% of the time. I wonder if that's what broke it :o

It's very possible.

I know the rigors that stuff like this has to go through to pass CE and be approved for use so am disappointed when I hear a tale such as yours. As you are renting, you can't go to the original installer and claim back.

I guess that they bank on for the sake of less than €20 it's not worth the hassle.

Steve wrote:

People do use them all the time though.

This is an old can of worms tbh. It's going to get into the regs etc and go nowhere again imo

For my part they are there for isolation to allow someone to work on the shower.

But there is a counter argument.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,588 ✭✭✭enfant terrible

Stoner wrote: »
    People do use them all the time though.

This is an old can of worms tbh. It's going to get into the regs etc and go nowhere again imo

For my part they are there for isolation to allow someone to work on the shower.

But there is a counter argument.

Should the switch be left on permanently.

Should the switch be left on permanently.

Most if not all electricians say to leave it on. The pull cords in particular aren't designed to be turned on & off 4 or 5 times per day.
    Families have rows about this on a daily basis. What is clouding the issue even more is that all the latest electric showers have an led that is still on when shower is off. So now the homeowner is looking at 2 leds, one on shower & one on switch. To them they are wasting "Hundreds of euro per year". I'm sure this is a ploy from the manufactures to keep the switch turned off.

Edit: Any possible savings on turning this tiny led off will be far outstripped by the cost of replacing the pull cord on a regular basis.

• Advertisement

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    Most if not all electricians say to leave it on. The pull cords in particular aren't designed to be turned on & off 4 or 5 times per day.
    Families have rows about this on a daily basis. What is clouding the issue even more is that all the latest electric showers have an led that is still on when shower is off. So now the homeowner is looking at 2 leds, one on shower & one on switch. To them they are wasting "Hundreds of euro per year". I'm sure this is a ploy from the manufactures to keep the switch turned off.

Edit: Any possible savings on turning this tiny led off will be far outstripped by the cost of replacing the pull cord on a regular basis.

Thanks Sleeper,

Would the shower then not be in stand by mode?

We're always been told to plug out our tvs as stand by mode uses a lot of electricity apparently.

Thanks Sleeper,

Would the shower then not be in stand by mode?

We're always been told to plug out our tvs as stand by mode uses a lot of electricity apparently.

I'm not an electrician so happy to be corrected here.

Your DVD player Sky box etc, are still consuming electricity in standby mode. Up to 25% in some cases I think. The brains of the Sky Box is always on & always thinking. What day is it? do I need to record something today etc. This consumes power. But your electric shower is either on or off. Some showers do have pcb boards but the shower doesn't need to worry about timers or anything like that so off should mean off.
    I have seen faulty power rather than electric showers with the motor running when the power button is turned off though. Usually the pcb board is faulty.

The lamps are generally neon on the switch and on the shower. They are used to indicate the presence of AC voltage.

Typically they use about 1mA which by rough calculation would cost about €0.30 per year if left on 24/365.

Think of the shower switch as a backup - similar to a cooker switch. It is a means of removing power when something goes wrong or for maintenance.

The lamps are generally neon on the switch and on the shower. They are used to indicate the presence of AC voltage.

Typically they use about 1mA which by rough calculation would cost about €0.30 per year if left on 24/365.

You could alway disconnect the lamp and save a cool 30 cent :cool:

You could alway disconnect the lamp and save a cool 30 cent :cool:

Yeah but a REC would charge €100 for the call out... short wait of 300 years then profit!! :cool:

(assuming you never have to replace the switch :D)

Think of the shower switch as a backup - similar to a cooker switch. It is a means of removing power when something goes wrong or for maintenance.

The cooker switch on the wall should be left on too should it?

Well the wiring on the back was a burnt mess but it's been fixed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭Armchair Andy

Does the proximity of the backing box (steel more so than dry lining) bear any difference to the lifetime of one of these switches? (Heat wise).
    I'm sure a 2 gang box on the vertical with a 2 gang switch would far outlive a single gang switch/ box.

Does the proximity of the backing box (steel more so than dry lining) bear any difference to the lifetime of one of these switches? (Heat wise). I'm sure a 2 gang box on the vertical with a 2 gang switch would far outlive a single gang switch/ box.

It's more heat caused by poor connections rather than an inability for standard heat dissipation

• Advertisement

Well the wiring on the back was a burnt mess but it's been fixed.

That would worry me.

It would suggest it's not a mechanical failure but a poor connection.

Did you fix it yourself or get a sparks? I would have asked them to spot check various other connections around the house as the original guys who wired it may have been less than diligent.

Advertisement