Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shower switch burnt out

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Steve wrote: »
    That would worry me.

It would suggest it's not a mechanical failure but a poor connection.

I have seen this quite a few times.
    When there is a high resistance on a cable with a large current flowing through it the heat can travel up the cable and cause the insulation to melt and blacken on the cable like this.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

2011 wrote: »
    I have seen this quite a few times.
    When there is a high resistance on a cable with a large current flowing through it the heat can travel up the cable and cause the insulation to melt and blacken on the cable like this.

I've seen commercial switchrooms burn down because of issues like this, improperly tightened connects are lethal.

In the one I saw, it was due to builders using a kango a few feet away digging a trench, the board wasn't checked after the works were completed and a 250A S/F went up.

That's why I'd be worried and if it was my house, I's be going around checking all nearby connections. :)

Advertisement