Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Menu Cards

Options
  • 16-10-2016 11:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 775 ✭✭✭

Hey,

Just wondering if I could hear anyone else's experience of organising weekly meals with menu cards. I've seen a lot of youtubers say that their weekly shopping bill goes down considerably when they plan their meals this way.

Basically I have made up a stack of menu cards (with veggie, chicken, fish and quick options), and we pick 4 veggie, 1 chicken, 1 fish and 1 quick option a week from a random shuffle. I was shocked this evening when I calculated what the shopping would cost using the menu cards, and it was a good 15 euro less than normal!

Does anyone else use a system like this :)? If so, any tips for getting the best out of it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I don't get how the bill would be less on average, unless it was just a fluke -or are you eating less? maybe you are buying better value packages of food?

I shop mainly in tesco and you can check special offers in advance online and could make a list buying stuff which is reduced.

They have a special offer page. I wish other supermarkets did this, aldi & lidl also have weekly offers shown online

tesco have a better system as you can check by department and it shows when offers will end so you can plan around that, e.g. empty the freezer to make space
    http://www.tesco.ie/groceries/SpecialOffers/SpecialOfferList/default.aspx?promoType=alloffers

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭dibkins

I find when i organise my dinners i spend less simply by sticking to my shopping list. No more half a cauliflower sitting in my veg drawer, or chicken pieces thrown in the freezer forever caus i forgot too cook them. If the cards help you with that then great, but i get more mileage from panning to use up what i've got leftover from one cooking job. remember, if you need 1 egg for a recipe you are still going to have to buy 6 of them!

Advertisement