Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hollyhock seedlings

Options
  • 17-10-2016 9:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭

I planted hollyhock seeds a couple of months ago, and planted up the seedlings into small, individual pots. They are sitting outside on the patio, where I can mind them until planting them next spring. Do I need to protect them from frost? and if so how (I don't have a greenhouse/polytunnel)?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭chickey

cant say for sure but I planted two hollyhocks years back which self seeded successfully in ground and frost never seem to stop them

• Registered Users Posts: 28,448 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I think that the only concern would be that they are in small pots, which gives greater opportunity for the entire pot to freeze as they are 'exposed'. They are hardy in the ground with a decent root system, but small roots in a small pot might be vulnerable. I think I would suggest giving them a bit of shelter, even if you just bury the pots into compost (make sure there is good drainage).

Advertisement