Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

wheel upgrade during winter?

Options
  • 17-10-2016 10:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭

There's terrific value on online stores for wheels at the moment. I'm looking at making my first upgrade from stock wheels. But is winter a bad time to do this considering the state of our roads?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭thekooman

use the stock wheels for winter and then get a good pair for summer. depends what you want to go to? aluminum rim? aero? want something for looks or lightweight? bearings do take a lot of abuse in dirty wet conditions. i just replaced hub and bearings in my rear wheel Zonda which cost 120 euro! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,861 ✭✭✭fat bloke

nialljf wrote: »
    There's terrific value on online stores for wheels at the moment.

Really?

Like what?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,769 ✭✭✭cython

fat bloke wrote: »
    Really?

Like what?

Can't speak for the OP's specific interests, but this (cosmic pro carbons for 649) is pretty good: http://www.bike-discount.de/en/buy/mavic-cosmic-pro-carbone-pr-m-23-wheelset-white-485747

To be fair it's a regular trend that there are deals to be had at this time of year as new models, etc. come into stock, but personally if I were to buy now as an upgrade I'd probably put them in the attic until next year!

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭rtmie

Nothing to stop you availing of the bargain now, taking a couple of spins to enjoy them and then switching back in the original wheels til April. I take my Zondas off and replace with stock wheels around this time and switch back in late spring.

Advertisement