Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

dangerous when wet

Options
  • 17-10-2016 10:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭

This has started to grow on a gravel yard and path in the last month or two. It is very very slippery to walk on when wet and is dangerous to have around the place.
    Can it be identified and how can it be gone rid of?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭Citizenpain

Nostoc Or blue green algae ?
    Moss killer maybe

• Registered Users Posts: 3,838 ✭✭✭Odelay

I got rid of that using a 20kg bag of fine/maize salt from coop shop. Costs 5-7 euro. Just sprinkle it on. Make sure it is fine salt, coarse or water softener salt is not as good.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Carrie Palmer

Check gardeningknowhow.com/ornamental/foliage/moss/killing-moss.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭red sean

Odelay wrote: »
    I got rid of that using a 20kg bag of fine/maize salt from coop shop. Costs 5-7 euro. Just sprinkle it on. Make sure it is fine salt, coarse or water softener salt is not as good.
    Would that be the same salt used for de-icing drives etc. I have that sh1t growing on a tar and chip drive too.

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Hocus Focus

I thought I saw Monty Don on Gardeners World last week show something like that and refer to it as Liverwort.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,838 ✭✭✭Odelay

red sean wrote: »
    Would that be the same salt used for de-icing drives etc. I have that sh1t growing on a tar and chip drive too.

The de-icing salt is very coarse, harder to spread even and takes longer to dissolve. Fine salt is exactly like table salt, very fine and dry. Worked a treat for me, it also killed grass and other weeds. Please report back if you do use it.

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭Czhornet

Nostoc Or blue green algae ?
    Moss killer maybe

Looking on the net and it seems to be Nostoc alright, I will have to tackle this before the real wet weather sets in, thanks for all the suggestions.

Advertisement