Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jobhunting while on stress leave

Options
  • 17-10-2016 12:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

I've had a lot of problems at work of late - the kind that can't be resolved without me being railroaded (issues are around financial irregularities that I highlighted). My doctor has recommended going on indefinite sick leave due to stress and I'm inclined to agree as I can't take much more. I know there are legal protections for me but I am also willing to admit defeat for my own sanity.

Realistically though I know it's unlikely I'll ever return to my employer and so I am on the hunt for a new role. My question is around etiquette I suppose when seeking a new job on long-term sick leave from another. I could just resign from my current job I know but from the money side I couldn't sustain that - but I also can't face going in any more.

I suspect the reference I would get from my current employer would be minimal at best, and I'm wondering what companies would think of me being out on sick leave and interviewing with them, and how I would go about explaining it? I'm a middle manager if that makes any difference.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,970 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Don't tell them you're out on sick leave!

Is the situation you're involved in know about publically? If so, then folks in your industry can probably guess why you're leaving even if you don't say. And if it's not public knowledge, then you probably cannot say anything about it in interviews anyway.

Just apply for jobs, and tell them that you're looking for new challenges or something similar.

Advertisement