Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Issue in regards to Eir Broadband useage and charge

Options
  • 17-10-2016 12:38pm

Yet another customer stung by your so called excessive usage of Eir Broadband.

Just received my October bill that includes €65 of excessive broadband useage.

I have a few questions;

1.  is it common practice to notify a customer if they are about to exceed their Broadband useage and be charged? If so why was I not notified?

2. When is Broadband charged from?  Your online checker states monthly, however the Bill is charged upto the 11th October.  The Excessive charge on the bill says 16th October.  Its all very confusing.

Regards

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭Eir: Pamela

I have a few questions;

1.  is it common practice to notify a customer if they are about to exceed their Broadband useage and be charged? If so why was I not notified?

2. When is Broadband charged from?  Your online checker states monthly, however the Bill is charged upto the 11th October.  The Excessive charge on the bill says 16th October.  Its all very confusing.

Regards
    [font=Verdana, sans-serif]Hi [/font][font=Verdana, sans-serif]Deleted User[/font][font=Verdana, sans-serif],[/font][font=Verdana, sans-serif]

[/font]
    [font=Verdana, sans-serif]Thanks for getting in touch. [/font]
    [font=Verdana, sans-serif] [/font]
    [font=Verdana, sans-serif]Yes it is indeed, it would depend on the customers contact preferences.[/font]
    [font=Verdana, sans-serif]The broadband would be charged from the billing dates on the bill.[/font]
    [font=Verdana, sans-serif]Thanks,[/font][font=Verdana, sans-serif]
    Pamela [/font]

I have a few questions;

Regards
    [font=Verdana, sans-serif]Hi [/font][font=Verdana, sans-serif]Deleted User[/font][font=Verdana, sans-serif],[/font][font=Verdana, sans-serif]

[/font]
    [font=Verdana, sans-serif]Yes it is indeed, it would depend on the customers contact preferences.[/font]
    [font=Verdana, sans-serif]The broadband would be charged from the billing dates on the bill.[/font]
    Pamela [/font]

Hi Pamela 

Thanks for replying.

You say that Eir will contact me when my Broadband is about to exceed the fair use policy by using my contact prefs.

I have Email as my preferred method of contact, I can confirm that I have received no email prior to my account being billed by eir for excessive usage. I have also checked my spam and no email from eir exists there either.

Please could you check my account to confirm if Eir has sent me an email, and if not could you explain this please.  I will PM you my details.

Secondly you say my broadband resets from my new billing date,  this raises several issues that I would seek clarification on.

1) The only way I can check my broadband stats is to view the stats on my account, however the Broadband usage summary Eir supply only confirms useage from the start of each month,  how then can a customer check their actual usage for the billing period?

2) why is my broadband usage not itemised so I can confirm if I have used the amount of Broadband you claim I have?  If you are to bill me for Broadband usage do I not have the right to see an itemised bill for this?

3) Why have I never been billed previously, or notified a change in policy for excess usage?

4) Where are these charges advertised?  According to your website 

[font=eir-medium-web, "Arial Medium"]How much will I be charged if I go over my broadband usage allowance?[/font]
    [font=GT-Walsheim-Regular, Arial]Excess usage is charged at €2.03 per GB up to a maximum of €24.40 inc VAT per month. eir Fibre packages with an unlimited usage allowance are subject to a fair usage policy of 1TB per month. Usage in excess of 1TB will be charged at €2.50 inc VAT for every 10GB up to a maximum of €100 inc VAT per month.
    Further information can be found in our terms and conditions.
    [/font]

However when I click to view the terms and Conditions I can see no mention of Excess Charges for Eir Fibre Unlimited Broadband customers.

I am quite unhappy with these charges, I have not been notified, I can not see them mentioned in the T&C`s as Eir claims, Unlimited Broadband is clearly not unlimited, What would happen if I was using Evision or watching Eir Sport online all the time?  Your website only shows usage stats from the start of the calendar month giving the customer no real way to check their broadband useage charges.

I would like it if you could please respond to my questions and reply to the above points.

I shall be forwarding a complaint to comreg and the Competition and Consumer Protection Commission as I believe there are so many flaws into the billing of your excessive usage policy if these charges on my account are not dropped.

Regards

I have a few questions;

Regards

[/font]
    Pamela [/font]

Hi Pamela 

Thanks for replying.

You say that Eir will contact me when my Broadband is about to exceed the fair use policy by using my contact prefs.

I have Email as my preferred method of contact, I can confirm that I have received no email prior to my account being billed by eir for excessive usage. I have also checked my spam and no email from eir exists there either.

Please could you check my account to confirm if Eir has sent me an email, and if not could you explain this please.  I will PM you my details.

Secondly you say my broadband resets from my new billing date,  this raises several issues that I would seek clarification on.

1) The only way I can check my broadband stats is to view the stats on my account, however the Broadband usage summary Eir supply only confirms useage from the start of each month,  how then can a customer check their actual usage for the billing period?

2) why is my broadband usage not itemised so I can confirm if I have used the amount of Broadband you claim I have?  If you are to bill me for Broadband usage do I not have the right to see an itemised bill for this?

3) Why have I never been billed previously, or notified a change in policy for excess usage?

4) Where are these charges advertised?  According to your website 

[font=eir-medium-web,]How much will I be charged if I go over my broadband usage allowance?[/font]
    [font=GT-Walsheim-Regular, Arial]Excess usage is charged at €2.03 per GB up to a maximum of €24.40 inc VAT per month. eir Fibre packages with an unlimited usage allowance are subject to a fair usage policy of 1TB per month. Usage in excess of 1TB will be charged at €2.50 inc VAT for every 10GB up to a maximum of €100 inc VAT per month.
    Further information can be found in our terms and conditions.
    [/font]

However when I click to view the terms and Conditions I can see no mention of Excess Charges for Eir Fibre Unlimited Broadband customers.

I am quite unhappy with these charges, I have not been notified, I can not see them mentioned in the T&C`s as Eir claims, Unlimited Broadband is clearly not unlimited, What would happen if I was using Evision or watching Eir Sport online all the time?  Your website only shows usage stats from the start of the calendar month giving the customer no real way to check their broadband useage charges.

I would like it if you could please respond to my questions and reply to the above points.

I shall be forwarding a complaint to comreg and the Competition and Consumer Protection Commission as I believe there are so many flaws into the billing of your excessive usage policy if these charges on my account are not dropped.

Regards
    Thanks for your PM Deleted User, I am looking into this & will be back to you as soon as we have an update.

Thanks,
    Pamela 

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭Twelve Bar Blues

[/font]
    Pamela [/font]

Pamelas reply doesn't sit well with me. As I understand it, preferred methods of contact are in relation to marketing.
    I don't see any sales script recommending an agent to ask a customer IF they would like to be contacted re exceeding bb limits. Rather it should be HOW they would like to be contacted.
    Can this please be confirmed/clarified?

[/font]
    Pamela [/font]

Pamelas reply doesn't sit well with me. As I understand it, preferred methods of contact are in relation to marketing.
    I don't see any sales script recommending an agent to ask a customer IF they would like to be contacted re exceeding bb limits. Rather it should be HOW they would like to be contacted.
    [font=Verdana, sans-serif]No problem [/font][font=Verdana, sans-serif]Twelve Bar Blues.[/font]
    [font=Verdana, sans-serif]A customer will receive a text message/ e-mail to advise of high usage on their account and to contact us once they reach their account threshold. The threshold is individual for each customer. Unfortunately they will not be directly advised if they are reaching their broadband usage, apologies I should have made that clearer. The ownness is on the customer to monitor this. This can be done via myeir or online here http://support.eir.ie/article/broadbandstatschecker[/font]
    [font=Verdana, sans-serif]Thanks,[/font]
    [font=Verdana, sans-serif]Pamela [/font]

• Advertisement

[/font]
    Pamela [/font]

[font=Verdana, sans-serif]No problem [/font][font=Verdana, sans-serif]Twelve Bar Blues.[/font]
    [font=Verdana, sans-serif]A customer will receive a text message/ e-mail to advise of high usage on their account and to contact us once they reach their account threshold. The threshold is individual for each customer. Unfortunately they will not be directly advised if they are reaching their broadband usage, apologies I should have made that clearer. The ownness is on the customer to monitor this. This can be done via myeir or online here http://support.eir.ie/article/broadbandstatschecker[/font]

Is this a response to me Pamela?

As already stated, I did not receive any notification.

Also I pointed out to you that the broadband checker only provides usage for the current month, not the current billing period.

How can a customer check their usage?

Regards

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭java

Also I pointed out to you that the broadband checker only provides usage for the current month, not the current billing period.

Regards
    There is a link on your broadband stats usage to view historical stats. Theres a breakdown of upload/download there too.

java wrote: »

Regards
    There is a link on your broadband stats usage to view historical stats. Theres a breakdown of upload/download there too.
    Yes I know that, however that only shows monthly usage, I.e THe usage for October, September etc.  It does not breakdown your usage for your current billing period, this is the point I am trying to make.  If im billed 20th October i am being billed for Broadband usage partly in September and October.  How can i check this if the usage stats only show monthly?

If I used 960 GB in September, how do I know which part of that 960GB is transferred to my October bill schedule, I dont start the new month with no usage, I start the month with usage carried over from the previous month.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭McSim

OP, thanks for warning!

I usually use around 100-200 GB, but this month was about to download 1 TB of data files. Looks like have to schedule download carefully now.

I never really tracked my broadband usage closely, for a reason that while ago I did research eFibre download fair usage policy and bookmarked following answers from official Eircom reps:
    https://community.eircom.net/phone-27/efibre-download-usage-37898/index1.html#post37962
    https://community.eircom.net/broadband-25/efibre-fair-usage-policy-48244/index1.html#post48254
    https://community.eircom.net/broadband-25/fair-usage-policy-on-new-packages-85793/index1.html#post85798

To me it is clearly evident from them that there is no download limit applicable whatsoever on eFibre.
    Also I think at some time it was announced that Eircom scrapped any fair usage policy back in April 2014 but I struggle to find a proof link now.

I never looked back into it before I seen this thread. To my surprise now there is fair usage policy and it is enforced
    https://community.eircom.net/broadband-25/eir-fair-usage-policy-for-broadband-264855

I would expect FUP be more easely accessible, not everyone tracks forum posts!

Regards
    Yes I know that, however that only shows monthly usage, I.e THe usage for October, September etc.  It does not breakdown your usage for your current billing period, this is the point I am trying to make.  If im billed 20th October i am being billed for Broadband usage partly in September and October.  How can i check this if the usage stats only show monthly?

If I used 960 GB in September, how do I know which part of that 960GB is transferred to my October bill schedule, I dont start the new month with no usage, I start the month with usage carried over from the previous month.
    If you click into each individual month  Deleted User you can view the breakdown here per day.

Thanks,

Pamela 

• Advertisement

Regards

If you click into each individual month  Deleted User you can view the breakdown here per day.

Thanks,

Pamela 
    Thanks for that Pamela but its not a user friendly option, here is my October usage, again its creeping up, and yet I am supposed to work out my usage for my billing period form this?

showstats.cgi?username=094-9638549&sid=UgL4cY9Pn8EXu0RtcT3v3hC3pMxODR&month=201610&co=0&al=-1&pur=0&graph=yes&gtype=COMBINED&batch=0

Sorry but this is not designed to be user friendly and the whole idea of telling customers they have unlimited Broadband is a lie when you cap it at 1TB.

You still haven't even answered the question as to why I didn't receive a warning text, still haven't received one for this months either.

Thanks for your help on this but its evident that this will have to be reported to comreg and the consumer protection commissioner to investigate.

Regards

Regards

Thanks,

Pamela 
    Thanks for that Pamela but its not a user friendly option, here is my October usage, again its creeping up, and yet I am supposed to work out my usage for my billing period form this?

showstats.cgi?username=094-9638549&sid=UgL4cY9Pn8EXu0RtcT3v3hC3pMxODR&month=201610&co=0&al=-1&pur=0&graph=yes&gtype=COMBINED&batch=0

Sorry but this is not designed to be user friendly and the whole idea of telling customers they have unlimited Broadband is a lie when you cap it at 1TB.

You still haven't even answered the question as to why I didn't receive a warning text, still haven't received one for this months either.

Thanks for your help on this but its evident that this will have to be reported to comreg and the consumer protection commissioner to investigate.

Regards
    [font=Verdana, sans-serif]Thanks for your feedback [/font][font=Verdana, sans-serif] [/font][font=Verdana, sans-serif]Deleted User,[/font][font=Verdana, sans-serif] [/font][font=Verdana, sans-serif]I'll pass it on. [/font]
    [font=Verdana, sans-serif]It's no problem at all, I have answered this question in the previous post & also in PM. I'll copy & paste below.[/font]
    [font=Verdana, sans-serif] Customer will receive a text message/ e-mail to advise of high usage on their account and to contact us as they are reaching their account threshold. The threshold is individual for each customer. Unfortunately they will not be directly advised if they are reaching their broadband usage, apologies I should have made that clearer. The onus[/font][font=Verdana, sans-serif] is on the customer to monitor this. This can be done via myeir or online here [/font][font=Verdana, sans-serif]http://support.eir.ie/...roadbandstatschecker[/font]

Regards

Thanks,

Pamela 

Regards
    [font=Verdana, sans-serif]Thanks for your feedback [/font][font=Verdana, sans-serif] [/font][font=Verdana, sans-serif]Deleted User,[/font][font=Verdana, sans-serif] [/font][font=Verdana, sans-serif]I'll pass it on. [/font]
    [font=Verdana, sans-serif]It's no problem at all, I have answered this question in the previous post & also in PM. I'll copy & paste below.[/font]
    [font=Verdana, sans-serif] Customer will receive a text message/ e-mail to advise of high usage on their account and to contact us as they are reaching their account threshold. The threshold is individual for each customer. Unfortunately they will not be directly advised if they are reaching their broadband usage, apologies I should have made that clearer. The onus[/font][font=Verdana, sans-serif] is on the customer to monitor this. This can be done via myeir or online here [/font][font=Verdana, sans-serif]http://support.eir.ie/...roadbandstatschecker[/font]

Pamela, not sure if you are deliberately ignoring this point or not.

I did not receive any text/email, nor have I received any previously in regards to going over my usage for my unlimited Broadband service.

Regards.

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Rockfish

Out of curiosity how on earth could you use more than 1 TB of data?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Keith C

Rockfish wrote: »

Yeah even heavy usage Netflix would only generate 250/300 GB per month

[font=Verdana, sans-serif]You will not be advised of this [/font][font=Verdana, sans-serif] [/font][font=Verdana, sans-serif]Deleted User.[/font][font=Verdana, sans-serif] [/font][font=Verdana, sans-serif]The responsibility is on the customer to monitor this.[/font]

Keith C wrote: »

Yeah even heavy usage Netflix would only generate 250/300 GB per month
    I have a house of 5 kids, each of them have Xbox ones.

The other day 5 of them downloaded Fifa 17 each, that was about 250GB just there.

Imagine how Christmas will be with each of them getting 4-5 games each.

Thats 1.2 TB just in game downloads, then you have them all watching Netflix, YouTube etc.

Quite easy to go over 1TB when you have kids.

[font=Verdana, sans-serif]You will not be advised of this [/font][font=Verdana, sans-serif] [/font][font=Verdana, sans-serif]Deleted User.[/font][font=Verdana, sans-serif] [/font][font=Verdana, sans-serif]The responsibility is on the customer to monitor this.[/font]

Pamela you said

Customer will receive a text message/ e-mail to advise of high usage on their account and to contact us as they are reaching their account threshold. 

As stated, I received no such message.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Keith C

I have a house of 5 kids, each of them have Xbox ones.

The other day 5 of them downloaded Fifa 17 each, that was about 250GB just there.

Imagine how Christmas will be with each of them getting 4-5 games each.

Thats 1.2 TB just in game downloads, then you have them all watching Netflix, YouTube etc.

Quite easy to go over 1TB when you have kids.
    Get them to stick to buying disc version of games, download will cost you + eat up memory on their consoles ðŸ˜႒

• Closed Accounts Posts: 186 ✭✭eir: Stacey

Pamela you said

Customer will receive a text message/ e-mail to advise of high usage on their account and to contact us as they are reaching their account threshold. 

As stated, I received no such message.
    [font=Verdana, sans-serif]Hi irishfreeview, [/font]
    [font=Verdana, sans-serif]If you didn't receive a text notification in relation to high usage this would mean your account didn't exceed the threshold as this would vary depending on the number of services you avail of with eir. If you wish to query this further I would suggest to contact [/font]the accounts team directly on 1800503303 (opt 3) & they would be more than happy to discuss this in further detail. To avoid over usage charges going forward I would suggest to monitor this via the My eir app. 

[font=Verdana, sans-serif]Stacey[/font]

• Advertisement

Im going to bump this thread.

I was charged 42 euro for extra usage this month.

I would like to clarify two things,

1) Is Eir Unlimited Fibre Limited to 1TB.
    2) Why have I received no notice of high usage on my account?

Regards.

• Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭miece16

who in the bloody hell buys 5 xbox ones for each of their 5 kids along with 5 copies of fifa 17 and then complains about a €65 extra charge ?

something doesn't add up here

Regards.
    Hi  Deleted User,

Yes it is. 
    You would need to monitor your usage yourself here.

-Pamela 

miece16 wrote: »
    who in the bloody hell buys 5 xbox ones for each of their 5 kids along with 5 copies of fifa 17 and then complains about a €65 extra charge ?

something doesn't add up here
    I am complaining about the claim of offering Unlimited Broadband when its clearly limited to 1TB.

I used the Xboxs as an example, just the other-day Microsoft had a 3GB update for each game. 

Regardless of how I use or other people use their Broadband, its unfair to advertise a service as Unlimited if by definition that service is infact limited to 1TB.

Regards.
    Hi  Deleted User,

Yes it is. 

-Pamela 
    Thanks Pamela for the reply,

As per the original communication on this thread, you informed me that I would receive communication for high usage, are you now telling me that this information is incorrect?

Also thank you for confirming Eir Unlimited Broadband is limited to 1TB.  

Also, please could you furnish me with the correct address to forward my official complaint to Eir.

Regards.

Regards.
    Hi  Deleted User,

Yes it is. 

-Pamela 

As per the original communication on this thread, you informed me that I would receive communication for high usage, are you now telling me that this information is incorrect?

Also, please could you furnish me with the correct address to forward my official complaint to Eir.

Regards.
    [font=Verdana, sans-serif]A customer will receive a text message/ e-mail to advise of high usage on their account and to contact us once they reach their account threshold[/font][font=Verdana, sans-serif] [/font][font=Verdana, sans-serif] [/font][font=Verdana, sans-serif]Deleted User[/font][font=Verdana, sans-serif]. [/font][font=Verdana, sans-serif]The threshold is individual for each customer. [/font]
    [font=Verdana, sans-serif]Unfortunately they will not be directly advised if they are reaching their broadband usage. The onus is on the customer to monitor this. This can be done via myeir or online here.[/font]
    [font=Verdana, sans-serif]I have advised this to you via PM & also earlier on in this thread as I felt I needed to offer further clarification on this issue. [/font]
    [font=Verdana, sans-serif]All complaints can be issued online here.[/font]
    [font=Verdana, sans-serif]Thanks,
    Pamela [/font]

Regards.
    Hi  Deleted User,

Yes it is. 

-Pamela 

Regards.
    [font=Verdana, sans-serif]A customer will receive a text message/ e-mail to advise of high usage on their account and to contact us once they reach their account threshold[/font][font=Verdana, sans-serif] [/font][font=Verdana, sans-serif] [/font][font=Verdana, sans-serif]Deleted User[/font][font=Verdana, sans-serif]. [/font][font=Verdana, sans-serif]The threshold is individual for each customer. [/font]
    [font=Verdana, sans-serif]Unfortunately they will not be directly advised if they are reaching their broadband usage. The onus is on the customer to monitor this. This can be done via myeir or online here.[/font]
    [font=Verdana, sans-serif]I have advised this to you via PM & also earlier on in this thread as I felt I needed to offer further clarification on this issue. [/font]
    Pamela [/font]

Hi pamela,  as stated numerous times, I am not receiving any texts informing me of high usage.

I also require a postal address so i can serve documents to Eir, an online contact is not sufficient.

Regards

Regards.
    Hi  Deleted User,

Yes it is. 

-Pamela 

Regards.
    Pamela [/font]

Hi pamela,  as stated numerous times, I am not receiving any texts informing me of high usage.

I also require a postal address so i can serve documents to Eir, an online contact is not sufficient.

Regards
    [font=Verdana, sans-serif]You will not be advised if you exceed your broadband usage [/font][font=Verdana, sans-serif]Deleted User.[/font][font=Verdana, sans-serif] [/font][font=Verdana, sans-serif]You will be advised if you exceed your account threshold balance which is a separate monetary value.[/font]

Regards.
    Hi  Deleted User,

Yes it is. 

-Pamela 

Regards.
    Pamela [/font]

Regards
    [font=Verdana, sans-serif]You will not be advised if you exceed your broadband usage [/font][font=Verdana, sans-serif]Deleted User.[/font][font=Verdana, sans-serif] [/font][font=Verdana, sans-serif]You will be advised if you exceed your account threshold balance which is a separate monetary value.[/font]

Ahh, right I understand you now.

Anyhow can you confirm if this is the correct address for me to serve documents too.

1, Heuston Road, South Quarter, St John`s Road, Dublin 8.

[font=GT-Walsheim-Light, "Arial Light"] 1 Heuston South Quarter, St. John's Road[/font][font=GT-Walsheim-Light, "Arial Light"], [/font][font=GT-Walsheim-Light, "Arial Light"]Dublin 8[/font][font=GT-Walsheim-Light, "Arial Light"], [/font][font=GT-Walsheim-Light, "Arial Light"]Ireland[/font][font=GT-Walsheim-Light, "Arial Light"]. [/font]

Regards.

• Advertisement

Regards.
    Hi  Deleted User,

Yes it is. 

-Pamela 

Regards.
    Pamela [/font]

Regards

Ahh, right I understand you now.

Anyhow can you confirm if this is the correct address for me to serve documents too.

1, Heuston Road, South Quarter, St John`s Road, Dublin 8.

[font=GT-Walsheim-Light,] 1 Heuston South Quarter, St. John's Road[/font][font=GT-Walsheim-Light,], [/font][font=GT-Walsheim-Light,]Dublin 8[/font][font=GT-Walsheim-Light,], [/font][font=GT-Walsheim-Light,]Ireland[/font][font=GT-Walsheim-Light,]. [/font]

Regards.
    [font=Verdana, sans-serif]No problem at all [/font][font=Verdana, sans-serif] [/font][font=Verdana, sans-serif]Deleted User.[/font]
    [font=Verdana, sans-serif]Can you sent it to [/font]
    [font=Verdana, sans-serif]Complaints, [/font]
    [font=Verdana, sans-serif]5th Floor,[/font]
    [font=Verdana, sans-serif]Telephone house, [/font]
    [font=Verdana, sans-serif]43-44 Marlborough st,[/font]
    [font=Verdana, sans-serif]Dublin 1.[/font]

Advertisement