Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Item broken on delivery

Options
  • 17-10-2016 12:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭

I ordered two sets of 10 candles in glass jars off Groupon a few weeks ago. When they arrived 3 in one box and 4 in the other box were broken. I emailed Groupon to see if they would replace them. They got back to me straight away asking for photos of the damage, which I sent. I've heard nothing since. It says on the website that I have 14 days to return an unwanted item for a refund, but the 14 days are now gone. Am I still covered and what should my next step be?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭goodlad

The 14 days is just a cooling off period in case you changed your mind which isnt the case here.

How long has it been since you emailed them the photos of the damaged candles?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭Whiplashy

goodlad wrote: »
    The 14 days is just a cooling off period in case you changed your mind which isnt the case here.

How long has it been since you emailed them the photos of the damaged candles?

I emailed the photos last Tuesday. Finally got a reply today saying that I'll have to return them for a refund. It included a returns label from a company called collect plus and said to attach the label and bring to my closest collection point. I've never heard of them and according to their website they're based in the UK so not much use to me!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭magentis

Whiplashy wrote: »
    I emailed the photos last Tuesday. Finally got a reply today saying that I'll have to return them for a refund. It included a returns label from a company called collect plus and said to attach the label and bring to my closest collection point. I've never heard of them and according to their website they're based in the UK so not much use to me!

I think you can do a collect+ return through parcel motel.No idea how it works.Its on the returns list though.

magentis wrote: »
    I think you can do a collect+ return through parcel motel.No idea how it works.Its on the returns list though.

Thanks, I'll look it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭markc1184

I think you can return to Collect plus using Parcel Motel although that will probably cost you.

Edit As above

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

You should not be out of pocket for this return, as the item was broken. If you have to pay Parcel Motel, then Groupon (or whoever) should refund you the cost of return

Thanks for all the advice. I've emailed them back to check if I'm supposed to use parcel motel. My nearest one is about a 40 minute drive each way so considering just keeping the candles and using what I can out of them. It all seems like a lot of hassle to me!

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭RoYoBo

Thanks for all the advice. I've emailed them back to check if I'm supposed to use parcel motel. My nearest one is about a 40 minute drive each way so considering just keeping the candles and using what I can out of them. It all seems like a lot of hassle to me!

How did you receive the parcel OP? Was it via An Post or a courier? I would expect to return a faulty/broken item by the same method as I received it - and free to me. Will the service that delivered to you accept a pile of broken glass to return? Might be an issue, but for the seller, not you.

RoYoBo wrote: »
    How did you receive the parcel OP? Was it via An Post or a courier? I would expect to return a faulty/broken item by the same method as I received it - and free to me. Will the service that delivered to you accept a pile of broken glass to return? Might be an issue, but for the seller, not you.

They came by courier. I was expecting them to return by courier too. It'd have been a lot easier for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭RoYoBo

They came by courier. I was expecting them to return by courier too. It'd have been a lot easier for me.

If it were me, I'd inform them that the courier firm who delivered the broken goods could collect them at a mutually agreed time and that I'd then expect my refund as soon as possible after that. No need to faff around with any other form of delivery/collection options.

With photographs showing the damage, I'd imagine the least expensive option for the supplier is for you to dispose of the broken goods and give you a partial refund to take account of the items that were okay. Can you suggest that to them? I've accepted such a solution in a similar scenario in the past.

• Advertisement

RoYoBo wrote: »
    With photographs showing the damage, I'd imagine the least expensive option for the supplier is for you to dispose of the broken goods and give you a partial refund to take account of the items that were okay. Can you suggest that to them? I've accepted such a solution in a similar scenario in the past.

That would be a great solution! I'll suggest it to them.

Advertisement