Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Big Leap To America

Options
  • 17-10-2016 2:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 40

Hi All
    In the next year or 2 i plan to move to america as i have family there that can maybe sponsor me, i have a couple of questions below i would like answering that are on my mind.What are the first things to do when you enter America?.

I plan to move to the US permanently , what Visa type do i need ?
    I have 1 Criminal Record for hitting someone , will this affect my application (never being in jail)
    How Much Money is generally needed when moving to the US
    Do i inform the tax office over here with my PPS number that i will be moving to the US and how do i get a US Taxpayer Identification Number when i arrive
    How easy is it to open a US bank account and what forms do i need from my own bank, (Which Bank is the most recommended)
    Is there such a thing as a Open Flight to the US meaning i can get on any flight one way so i have a Ticket bought
    What agencies can i approach for a Apartment/Studio flat is there such thing as RENT ALLOWANCE in America ?
    I have Fas Construction Tickets here, are they recognised in america

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,242 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Klasse wrote: »
    Hi All
    In the next year or 2 i plan to move to america as i have family there that can maybe sponsor me, i have a couple of questions below i would like answering that are on my mind.What are the first things to do when you enter America?.

I plan to move to the US permanently , what Visa type do i need ?
    I have 1 Criminal Record for hitting someone , will this affect my application (never being in jail)
    How Much Money is generally needed when moving to the US
    Do i inform the tax office over here with my PPS number that i will be moving to the US and how do i get a US Taxpayer Identification Number when i arrive
    How easy is it to open a US bank account and what forms do i need from my own bank, (Which Bank is the most recommended)
    Is there such a thing as a Open Flight to the US meaning i can get on any flight one way so i have a Ticket bought
    What agencies can i approach for a Apartment/Studio flat is there such thing as RENT ALLOWANCE in America ?
    I have Fas Construction Tickets here, are they recognised in america

Some of those questions are very specific, like the ones about banks and accommodation, America is a huge place with huge cities so things like that vary wildly from place to place

But the first question is the most important

They are a few ways to get legal access to the US long term
    1. Get a Green Card through the Dv lottery
    2. Get a H1 – B visa where you are sponsored by a company (this si done by lottery and you have to have specific skills to be accepted)
    3. Let a L1 visa where you move to the US within an existing job/company
    4. Marry an American citizen

Do you fit any of the above ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭él statutorio

Some of those questions are very specific, like the ones about banks and accommodation, America is a huge place with huge cities so things like that vary wildly from place to place

But the first question is the most important

They are a few ways to get legal access to the US long term
    1. Get a Green Card through the Dv lottery
    2. Get a H1 – B visa where you are sponsored by a company (this si done by lottery and you have to have specific skills to be accepted)
    3. Let a L1 visa where you move to the US within an existing job/company
    4. Marry an American citizen

Do you fit any of the above ?

If you don't fit any of the above, you're probably not going anywhere....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

What kind of family do you have over there?
    Unless it is a spouse, it will take longer than a year or two to get a visa (for example, currently 11 years for married adult children of US citizens, and 13 years for siblings- aunts and cousins cannot sponsor at all).

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Klasse

I dont qualify so , ill juat get a one way flight and not come back ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

That would be a very silly thing to do, and preclude you from working legally, and thus, most jobs. Try for the Diversity Visa Lottery, it is open now!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭Dave1442397

They won't even let you on a plane with a one-way ticket unless you have a Green Card or US passport.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,242 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

If you try that then as another poster said they will not even let you in, you need a return ticket.

And even though people go to the US illegally all the time here are a few of the things you may be restricted from doing while over there illegally.

Returning home

Traveling internationally

Traveling by air internally

Getting a drivers licence

Opening a bank account

Working for anything other than cash in hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

Canada. They're way more friendly and open and easier to get a visa too.

Advertisement