Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Saorview/Freeview setup

• 17-10-2016 2:27pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 429 ✭✭

Hi,
    I want to switch away from Sky to Saorview / Freeview

I have a 4 x LNB dish with all tv points terminating in the attic

Room 1 I have 2 x cables plus 1 return for RF2 (previously Sky box location)
    Room 2 I have 2 x cables to TV
    All other rooms I have 1 x cable

I would like to be able to watch RTE1 / RTE2 / TV3 / BBC / UTV etc in all rooms

Any ideas how best to achieve this without buying a load of separate boxes? (I would rather buy a few seconf hand tv instead, am sick of boxes, remotes, cables everywhere)

Will I need to put up a Saorview aerial?
    All help greatly appreciated

Based in Galway, any recommendations for installers for this if this isnt a DIY job?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,726 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

You're looking for a Saorview, Freesat or FTA satellite setup, Freeview is the UK's terrestrial TV service via an aerial pointing at a UK transmitter, not an option in Galway I believe.

An aerial will be required for Saorview, which one will depend on your recommended Saorview transmitter - https://www.saorview.ie/en/get/coverage

To feed a number of satellite receivers a direct feed from the LNB or multiswitch will be required to each tuner (2 in the case of a recorder). The Saorview feed can be combined with one of the sat feeds and split at the TV point as required. Will 4 sat feeds be sufficient or will you require more? An octo LNB or multiswitch (w/ Quattro LNB) can provide more.

There is no one easy replacement for Sky. Your choice of receiver will depend on what options you want, is recording/series linking a requirement in one or all rooms?

All TVs have Saorview tuners, there is 1 official Saorview recorder. There are Freesat single tuner zapper boxes and twin tuner recorder boxes available, all with user friendly epg and auto channel tuning similar to Sky. Also available are FTA satellite receivers, no epg / no auto tuning.

There are combi Saorview/satellite TVs available, with separate Saorview and satellite tuners built in and so different channels guides. There are also combi terrestrial/satellite receivers some of which fall into the enthusiast category .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 429 ✭✭Blowheads

sweet jesus...
    better get the professionals in..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,726 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Blowheads wrote: »
    sweet jesus...

That's why many people continue to stick with Sky, even for the subscription free channels like RTÉ, BBC, ITV etc. It take a bit of planning to move away.

Before getting the professionals in it's best to do your homework first, decide on what you actually want not what the professional think you want or want to sell you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,042 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Blowheads wrote: »
    sweet jesus...

Educate yourself if you want the change over to be successful and satisfactory.
    You need to specify what you want, else you are likely to get something that is less than what you expected and unsuitable for your needs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,562 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

Educate yourself if you want the change over to be successful and satisfactory.
    You need to specify what you want, else you are likely to get something that is less than what you expected and unsuitable for your needs.
    and probably twice the cost of what you need to spend.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,042 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

I would like to be able to watch RTE1 / RTE2 / TV3 / BBC / UTV etc in all rooms

Any ideas how best to achieve this without buying a load of separate boxes? (I would rather buy a few seconf hand tv instead, am sick of boxes, remotes, cables everywhere)

My choice was to build a backend receiver/HTPC/media server from an old PC, by adding a couple of tuner cards, and distributing the TV channels via the LAN.
    In this way all devices can receive the channels, even via wireless LAN.
    For TV points I have use R-Pi and such running Kodi while the backend PC runs Openelec/LibreELEC.

The benefit, to ME, is that all recorded media is in the one location (backend) and is available to all users and not just the one who recorded it.

If starting out again I would probably use something like this
    http://www.selfsat.com/02_satip/home.html
    or on a conventional dish, something like this
    https://www.satshop.tv/Inverto-IDLI-8CHE20-OOPOE-OSP-8-Sender-SATIP-LNB-mit-PoE-Adapter

Maybe something like this would be useful to your present set up
    http://www.emp-centauri.cz/index.php?lang=en&page=prodview&id=91

Advertisement