Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Couple of questions on wiring Home Gigabit network?

Options
  • 17-10-2016 4:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28,206 ✭✭✭✭

Currently putting data points in every room, have ca6 cable run to them all.
    Haven't terminated them yet..just about to.

-Can I use the normal terminator heads I used for cat5 cable will that effect the speed of the network? Is the wiring the same?

- My switch is only 10/100 I assume I need to upgrade that to a gigabit swith, does it need to be IPv6 compatible (I've sky fiber) or does it make any difference.

-I'm also assuming the router doesn't have any bearing on the speed of the internal network that's only giving me the internet connection?

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,331 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

The connectors are RJ-45s, they don't change.

You'll need a new switch for gigabit.

For any home use, the switch won't normally care about IPv6, it's juse the MAC address from the ethernet frames to build it's ARP table, not IPs.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,206 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Perfect cheers, I'm good to go then once I swap the switch.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

I'd put wall plates in, if you damage a patch cable of wall plate its a simple replacement. But if you damage a cable run through the walls, your in a world of hurt.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,149 ✭✭✭shanec1928

Currently putting data points in every room, have ca6 cable run to them all.
    Haven't terminated them yet..just about to.

-Can I use the normal terminator heads I used for cat5 cable will that effect the speed of the network? Is the wiring the same?

- My switch is only 10/100 I assume I need to upgrade that to a gigabit swith, does it need to be IPv6 compatible (I've sky fiber) or does it make any difference.

-I'm also assuming the router doesn't have any bearing on the speed of the internal network that's only giving me the internet connection?
    no best to get a patch panel and wall plates. You'll need a punch down and a cable tester.

Check the devices have gigabit nics if they don't then no point spending money now and can be upgraded down the line when upgrading devices. IPv6 is not have an impact on things.

Correct

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Perfect cheers, I'm good to go then once I swap the switch.

I just use unmanaged gigabit switches, never had an issue with them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭babi-hrse

You should always run two
    I've found many a time a dead wire in one of the eight cursing the walls when it's neither terminated heads that are at fault.
    At least with a pair you can
    Trunk the data links with a managed switch not really gonna do that for home use
    If you could set up a signalling circuit or run cctv through your house
    A spare network patch point.
    You could tape a new cable to the dead one and pull it through to replace it.

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭babi-hrse

I think cat6 heads have a grounded jacket that is attached to the foil surrounding the wire less interference cat5 heads are not much difference just don't usually come with the grounding.

Advertisement