Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Amazon third-party seller "contact us before ordering"

• 17-10-2016 5:05pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,897 ✭✭✭

There's a product listed on Amazon.co.uk and .de (apparently different sellers) that's significantly cheaper than my local .fr version, but in both cases the sellers have indicated that one should contact them first by e-mail before ordering. What's the story here? Are the low prices genuine, and the e-mail necessary because there really is "only one remaining" ... or is it just a cheap promotional trick?

It looks like a lot of these offers are from new third-party sellers (as observed by Urban Fret back in July) and while I don't mind giving a lad a chance to make a start in the world, I do mind giving him several hundred of my hard-earned Euro if I'll never see the product.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

No harm in contacting them, but if its cheap for a good review or they want to deal outside of amazon, walk away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,897 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

Have already sent one of them an e-mail concerning two offers in their store; just wondering if I should sit around waiting for an answer!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Is there any reason you are not telling us what the product is, or give links?

Could be very obvious if you bothered to let people know.

The product is irrelevant - it's the protocol I'm curious (dubious) about. As it happens, the UK seller's store seems to have disappeared overnight, so it looks like some kind of scam.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,510 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Sellers on Amazon should NEVER asked you to email them outside of the Amazon website, as per amazon's own policy's all communications must go through the Amazon website.

If a seller wants email directly then they are likely trying something dodgy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

The product is irrelevant
    so you think, if there is some privacy issue fair enough, but it might be very clear to someone if you did say what it was, there are numerous items I could think of which might have a seller act like this.

As its a german site I am wondering if they are trying to get you to pay direct and bypass amazon fees. They are big into their ban transfers in germany.

It's both German and UK sellers. Futher searching has confirmed that the UK one is a known scammer who has apparently been reported to Amazon. I did get a response to my e-mail last night, the text of which is identical to what others have posted in respect of various products
    Firstly we apologize for delay but we had some problems with our server.
    This item is still available I]product of interest[/I is Brand New (It is a Special Price because we have a stock liquidation - this item is New, original box - sealed, never used), comes with 2 Years of warranty and all manufacturer supplied accessories.

The total price is I]displayed price[/I + £9.00 for shipping (3 - 5 business days).

If you want to buy this item, please confirm your full name, delivery address and your phone # to have your order placed with Amazon. We will reserve the item for you and you will receive the order confirmation from Amazon, the Amazon order contain all details about the next steps to complete your purchase.

Return policy is full money back or replace the product, you can return it for any reason at all within 30 days.

Not sure about the German one - that seller appears to be engaging with customers in the Q&A section of the product page, but my German's a bit rusty, so I haven't tried to contact him.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 23,008 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Be very careful, scammers have been hijacking other, reputable sellers accounts to use them to sell fake goods or other scams.

I bought an item that was very cheap, should have known better. Next day Amazon fortunately cancelled the order, saying it was a scam. Someone had hijacked the real sellers account that had a very good reputation.

The reason they might want you to contact them directly is so that they can get you to directly send them your credit card details, so that they can avoid using Amazon as an intermediary that might cancel the order.

Advertisement