Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cost of estate agent

Options
  • 17-10-2016 5:32pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 163 ✭✭

Hi all , I am thinking of selling a site for a house that I own , my question is , how much would an estate agent cost me ? Do I pay up front for their services upfront or do I pay upon sale of site ? and finally , what percent of the sale will I end up paying the estate agent approx ?

Money is tight at the moment , hence the reason for sale , so I want to consider all my options before I contact an estate agent , thanks in advance for all replies

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Anywhere between 1% and 2.5%, plus outlays. Most are negotiable, ring a few of them to compare but in a given area all of the agents will likely be charging similar rates.

You usually pays the outlays up front (cost of advertising), but the percentage fee comes out of the sale. When the agent takes a deposit from the purchaser, the agent holds their fee out of the deposit and passes the rest onto your solicitor.

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭sullivk

Ours is charging 1.25% plus VAT @ 23%, I haven't had to pay anything upfront.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 163 ✭✭hannible the cannible

Thanks guys , and another that occurred to me is how much tax would I have to pay on it , I'd hope to get around 22 thousand for it , thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

Most charge 1-1.5 per cent of the sale price,
    say sold for 100k ,1-per cent = 1000euro plus vat .they,ll send a bill when the site is sold usually.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 789 ✭✭✭Turnipman

Thanks guys , and another that occurred to me is how much tax would I have to pay on it , I'd hope to get around 22 thousand for it , thanks

You'd be liable for Capital Gains Tax at 33% on the gain that you made on the sale, i.e. not on the full proceeds that you realise from the sale.

You can deduct the acquisition cost of the land plus any selling expenses, i.e solicitor/auctioneer/advertising.

See here for more info on CGT: http://www.revenue.ie/en/tax/cgt/cgt-faqs.html

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 163 ✭✭hannible the cannible

That's great , thanks everyone

Advertisement