Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bits of concrete falling from chimney

• 17-10-2016 5:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 26

Hi,
    I was cleaning the chimney earlier and amongst the soot i noticed a few small chunks.of concrete about the size of a 2 euro coin. There was one big bit in it too. Should i be worried about this .

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭dusty207

Hi,
    I was cleaning the chimney earlier and amongst the soot i noticed a few small chunks.of concrete about the size of a 2 euro coin. There was one big bit in it too. Should i be worried about this .

How old is the house?

• Registered Users Posts: 26 johncmurphy

dusty207 wrote: »
    How old is the house?

10 years old this year. We purchased the house last year from nama so were the first people to live here. The fire was never lit until we moved in. I cleaned the chimney last year before we moved in but had no issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭dusty207

10 years old this year. We purchased the house last year from nama so were the first people to live here. The fire was never lit until we moved in. I cleaned the chimney last year before we moved in but had no issues.

That's pretty new, I had a similar problem earlier this year when a load of rubble/concrete fell into my front room. Had to have the chimney relined but the house is 100+ years old.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 950 ✭✭✭Tom44

Camera inspection and smoke test by professionals required.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,154 ✭✭✭Joe1919

Since it is a new house and you are the first to light the fire, I would be guessing that its just 'mortar droppings' i.e. When the builders were building and capping chimney, small bits of mortar fell down the chimney and stuck to linings, and these are now coming loose with the heat and sweeping etc.

But of course, your chimney should be checked if in doubt and at least annually and a CO alarm fitted etc.

• Advertisement
Advertisement