Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is this toast?

Options
  • 17-10-2016 5:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭

Been having a few punctures lately, noticed this crack on my Mavic Kysrium Elite S.

Is this fupped?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭Deagol

IMO, bin it. You could get it welded and sanded back down etc, but would you ever completely trust the wheels? Going downhill at 60km/hr or more?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

How old is the wheel? I wouldn't trust it especially if it was a front wheel.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,477 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Put some Marmite on it (if you can get hold of any), then sink your teeth in. If it dissolves in your mouth it may well be toast. If not it's probably a bike wheel, in which case I would not trust it as far as I could throw it....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭shaka

How old is the wheel? I wouldn't trust it especially if it was a front wheel.

This would be two years of cycling mainly summer cycling. It's a rear wheel

Beasty wrote: »
    Put some Marmite on it (if you can get hold of any), then sink your teeth in. If it dissolves in your mouth it may well be toast. If not it's probably a bike wheel, in which case I would not trust it as far as I could throw it....

I knew about two seconds after naming the thread that beasty would oblige lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

New Mavic wheels come with a two year warranty. If you bought it early in 2015, you should be covered.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

New Mavic wheels come with a two year warranty. If you bought it early in 2015, you should be covered.

Yep as long as original owner and purchased from authorised dealer.

Id have a go at warranty claim if anywhere near two years as long as from normal use and rider plus bike within weight limit.

I'd be slow to rebuild, you'd want a serious craftsman to rebuild to original quality for such a low spoke count bladed spoke wheel.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Vizzy

Beasty wrote: »

Laugh ???

I nearly wet my leg !!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭SwissToni

Snap!! Exactly the same story here, back wheel, about the same age with summer use, noticed it a couple of weeks ago.

I had two cracks like this and more starting, if you check closely you may find more.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,618 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

might be an idea to approach mavic together if they play hardball; once is unfortunate, twice is getting a bit too common.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭SwissToni

A bit of googling reveals plenty of similar cases, I say Mavic are very aware of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭benneca1

Ditto here Mavic wouldnt cover it these were my summer wheels avoid like plague in future

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,618 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i'd chase them on it - if there's no sign of damage to the rim (e.g. signs of having hit potholes), you should be able to argue that this is a failure, not a wheel wearing out.
    are there wear indicators on the wheel? if there are, and they don't show excess use, you can use this in your favour.

Thanks Mercian, didn't know that but think its probably outside the two years as I'd of bought it in Feb or March I guess - no receipt either. Will talk to LBS and see what he says.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,538 ✭✭✭✭ted1

benneca1 wrote: »
    Ditto here Mavic wouldnt cover it these were my summer wheels avoid like plague in future

Small claims court should settle it

yep, warranty is moot if the sale of goods act is on your side. if you can make a reasonable argument that a pair of wheels costing more than most non-cyclists would consider sane for spending on an entire bike, mavic should replace them.
    as mentioned, the fact that two of you could approach them with wheels of the same age which were not used all year round, but which have failed in the exact same way, as a sign there's a defect present from manufacturing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭thekooman

i'd chase them on it - if there's no sign of damage to the rim (e.g. signs of having hit potholes), you should be able to argue that this is a failure, not a wheel wearing out.
    are there wear indicators on the wheel? if there are, and they don't show excess use, you can use this in your favour.

Twitter is great for getting companies to respond as its a public forum.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 657 ✭✭✭Musketeer4

OMG, don't ride on that. It would be suicide. That wheel could collapse at any second if you hit a bump.

I'd get back to where you bought it and argue that there was a weakness in it. That should not happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭com1

Your point of contact should be where you purchased the item. It is up to them to deal with the manufacturer

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/consumer_affairs/consumer_protection/consumer_rights/consumers_and_the_law_in_ireland.html

See the paragraph titled If things go wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Fian

yep, warranty is moot if the sale of goods act is on your side. if you can make a reasonable argument that a pair of wheels costing more than most non-cyclists would consider sane for spending on an entire bike, mavic should replace them.
    as mentioned, the fact that two of you could approach them with wheels of the same age which were not used all year round, but which have failed in the exact same way, as a sign there's a defect present from manufacturing.

Though worth bearing in mind that the SOGs Act provides you with statutory warranties enforceable against the retailer, not the manufacturer. You would need to establish that the wheels were not of merchantable quality / not fit for purpose when sold, difficult to establish imo in all the circumstances.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭benneca1

That was my prob the LBS owner is a mate and basically Mavic told him not our prob mate I could have hit him for the rebuild but instead i let it go. Never again will i buy Mavic

Brought well to LBS this morning, he contacted his supplier and shipped it back to them today, he hopes to have an answer soon.

He said mavic have become difficult to deal with, before they would replace these straight away now they try to get out anything like this.

Club mate had a similar problem two years ago and they wouldn't cover it.

LBS owner is also clubmate operating in a small town so if Mavic don't cover it I won't be taking any claim against him but thanks for the advice.

benneca1 wrote: »
    That was my prob the LBS owner is a mate and basically Mavic told him not our prob mate I could have hit him for the rebuild but instead i let it go. Never again will i buy Mavic

I'll keep you upto date on how I get on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭morana

I had similar a few years ago. cyclesuperstore got it changed for me but the new one went like that as well. any i have seen are all like that. i even had to point it out to afew lads who never noticed it.

poor rims for the price

Maybe that's why they're reluctant to admit fault. Sounds like it could lead to a product recall.

Lbs contacted Mavic supplier and sent away wheel, at this stage it looks like they are going to replace it.. Fingers crossed..

Wheel back, rim and spokes replaced. Covered by Mavic

Advertisement