Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Leasing an Electric | Hybrid Car

• 17-10-2016 6:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 44

Not sure if this is the right place to post or not, but here is goes..

I've been driving a Toyota Yaris for the last couple of years and its been a charm. Never have any problems with it. Just service every year and that's it.

Recently I've been really interested in Electric & Hybrid vehicles(Leaf and Civic to be more precise). One of the main reasons they have me interested is because of my new work place. I recently got a new role at a company that provides free electric stations to charge up your car. I will be at this company for 2 years Guaranteed.

My workplace is 19 miles away, and am thinking of perhaps leasing an electric or hybrid car. Is there any better choices than leasing ? the reason am leasing is because I'll probably be leaving after 2 years (emigrating). I plan on selling my Yaris to avoid the fuel costs.

Also, side question: Is the insurance a lot cheaper on Electrics & Hybrids ? and same goes for Tax. Or is it, more or less the same as Petrol/Diesel

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭peposhi

Why would you go for a new car if you are leaving in two years? The cost of change and lease would only suck your cash... if your car is cool keep it and sell when the time comes. If you are changing because you can and you just want something new then go for it. Otherwise the mats don't add up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

Tax on electric cars is €120. On hybrids it's worked out the same as any other car (cc pre 2008, co2 from 2008)

Insurance is down to the insurance company, and isn't any cheaper or more expensive than any other car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭stesaurus

Do a total cost analysis and see where it ends up. I can't imagine selling a perfectly fine Yaris and buying/leasing a new vehicle is going to end up saving you anything overall. Maybe the best option would be a second hand Leaf from the UK that you could sell on again before leaving. Anyway do up all the sums and see where it lies. Also a Civic is verrrry different to a Leaf, not a great comparison.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,144 ✭✭✭✭KCross

My workplace is 19 miles away, and am thinking of perhaps leasing an electric or hybrid car. Is there any better choices than leasing ? the reason am leasing is because I'll probably be leaving after 2 years (emigrating). I plan on selling my Yaris to avoid the fuel costs.

Also, side question: Is the insurance a lot cheaper on Electrics & Hybrids ? and same goes for Tax. Or is it, more or less the same as Petrol/Diesel

You would be crazy to buy new if you already know you will be leaving the country in 2 years time. Any potential petrol savings will be more than eaten up in depreciation on a new car.

Since your situation is a short term thing and you want an EV I'd buy a 2nd hand leaf. You should be able to get a MK1.5(2014+) very cheap. You could even go back to a MK1.0(2011-2013) for less than €7k. Your biggest issue is selling it when you leave. It could be very hard to shift in 2yrs time but you can weight that up against the free fuel for 2yrs and just sell it at rock bottom.

Insurance wont be any cheaper. Tax will be €120.

What is your budget?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

Standard hybrids like a Civic have no external charging ability. If you want to actually make use of the charging points at work you'll need either an EV (Leaf, BMW i3, etc.) or a plug-in hybrid (PHEV) e.g. BMW i3 REx, Mitsubishi Outlander P-HEV, VW Golf GTE, Audi A3 e-tron, BMW 330e and the Toyota Prius Plug-in - the latter two will not be able to complete your 19 mile commute in all-electric mode.

• Advertisement
Advertisement