Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Gym newbie

• 17-10-2016 6:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭boxermad

Hi there.
    Joined a gym today to lose weight and try tone up abit. I'm a 26year old male. 5ft 10 and on the border of 16 stone. Having never been a member of a gym before I need a consultation and a plan but the gym are currently blocked up with bookings until late next week so said maybe someone here can help. Today I done 35 mins on the treadmill and 10 on the exercise bike. Anyone any idea what I should do tomorrow or will I keep with the cardio? Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

There are plenty of beginner's programmes. This one is well regarded, for example.

Personally, I wouldn't do cardio at the gym. If you want cardio go run in a field or cycle on the road. Do weights at the gym. Ideally do both, separately.

I like cardio for the xtrainer low impact and bike has low chance of getting run over

Get someone to show you weights when you've your appt if you aren't used to them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭ThinkProgress

Zillah wrote: »
    Personally, I wouldn't do cardio at the gym. If you want cardio go run in a field or cycle on the road. Do weights at the gym. Ideally do both, separately.

Why?

Cardio does not discriminate... it doesn't care where you choose to do it. :P

Also, sorry to disagree with everything in your post, but combining cardio and strength training is an excellent idea... builds far superior fitness and physique than either done in isolation!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 657 ✭✭✭Musketeer4

I found what has brought me on in leaps and bounds is 1 hour classes that have 20 minutes HIIT spinning followed by strength circuits that smash the body with barbells, kettlebells and bodyweight.

Dont focus on cardio if you want to look good. You need to lift, brah.

Musketeer4 wrote: »
    Dont focus on cardio if you want to look good. You need to lift, brah.

I threw up a little my mouth there, brah! :pac:

Cardio makes you look and feel GREAT... don't swallow the garbage propaganda! ;)

• Advertisement

What made you get sick, brah?

Cardio will but fat ok but it ain't gonna get him shredded. No-one ever got pecks you could split firewood on by hitting the threadmill.

Needs something that will give him the pump. He needs a combination of HIIT cardio to shock the body into a burn and then smash it with heavy stuff. He needs to eat loads also, plenty calories.

don't swallow the garbage propaganda

Aren't you the guy we had like a ten page argument with before where you argued that body weight exercise is the only resistance training one needs, eating caloric excess for bulking is foolish, and that cardio is the holy grail of working out? Where you commented that some of the world's finest powerlifters and olympians looked poorly proportioned without explaining in what way...? (Edit: yes, it was you. You also described whey as "unhealthy and highly concentrated rubbish" lol)

Because if that was you, and I'm pretty sure it was, I'd rather not have that debate again.
    Cardio does not discriminate... it doesn't care where you choose to do it

If OP is doing X amount of gym time I think 100% of X should be resistance training. You can do cardio anywhere that there is a flat surface, like all of outside.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭Ayrtonf7

Hey man, Congrats on taking the first step to a better physique. Its a long, grueling road that is filled with plenty of misinformation and misfortune but there is greatness at the end of it all if you stick with!

Id echo what Zillah said. I'm doing Starting Strenght at the moment (Very similar to Stronglifts/5*5) and I've noticed gains already. I find the program a very nice place to start as its only a handful of exercises so you can spend a bit of time on each one working on your form. The important thing is to start off light and build up from there.

In terms of cardio I see benefits of indoors and outdoors. Outdoors obviously has the view and removes all temptation of staring at the clock and counting down the remaining minutes. Indoors on the other hand gives you a load of statistics, speed, time, distance, incline etc. Id recommend completing your cardio after your workout so you dont fatigue your body and sacrifice form during your weights.

What made you get sick, brah?

Cardio will but fat ok but it ain't gonna get him shredded. No-one ever got pecks you could split firewood on by hitting the threadmill.

Needs something that will give him the pump. He needs a combination of HIIT cardio to shock the body into a burn and then smash it with heavy stuff. He needs to eat loads also, plenty calories.

Only fools use the word "brah"... that's what made me throw up in my mouth! ;)

Your understanding of the hidden benefits of cardio, is frankly terrible. I could try explaining the finer complexities of it to you... but I fear you'd just ignore me and reply with "feel the pump, brah"... :P
    Aren't you the guy we had like a ten page argument with before where you argued that body weight exercise is the only resistance training one needs, eating caloric excess for bulking is foolish, and that cardio is the holy grail of working out? Where you commented that some of the world's finest powerlifters and olympians looked poorly proportioned without explaining in what way...? (Edit: yes, it was you. You also described whey as "unhealthy and highly concentrated rubbish" lol)

Because if that was you, and I'm pretty sure it was, I'd rather not have that debate again.

If OP is doing X amount of gym time I think 100% of X should be resistance training. You can do cardio anywhere that there is a flat surface, like all of outside.

You've misinterpreted some parts of what I was saying back then (not surprising really - I'm used to lesser mortals not understanding what I'm saying) But yes essentially I do strongly disagree with much of the things someone such as yourself would hold to be true!

Sorry - It's not my fault I'm much wiser than you! :D

A gym is a place where someone puts in quality workouts... cardio is absolutely essential as a component in a great workout, so if the OP has X amount of workout time - a large proportion of that time should be devoted to high quality cardio. (most people won't put in much other workout time if they are already committed to gym sessions - you should know that)

Ayrtonf7 wrote: »
    In terms of cardio I see benefits of indoors and outdoors. Outdoors obviously has the view and removes all temptation of staring at the clock and counting down the remaining minutes. Indoors on the other hand gives you a load of statistics, speed, time, distance, incline etc. Id recommend completing your cardio after your workout so you dont fatigue your body and sacrifice form during your weights.

You should always be timing your cardio - indoors or outdoors - so that's a nonsense point tbh!

All exercise fatigues your body. So if you do cardio AFTER a weight session, you will not be capable of doing a high quality cardio session! So why would anyone want to do this? It would be foolishness!

Perhaps foolishness is something that appeals to certain people... namely fools! :pac:

(most people won't put in much other workout time if they are already committed to gym sessions - you should know that)

Sure they do. I do weights 3-5 times a week depending on energy and schedule, and I also do 30 minutes of intense cycling for my commute every day. They happen completely irrespective of each other. I know people who go running after work, which has no impact on their gym schedule.

• Advertisement

You should always be timing your cardio - indoors or outdoors - so that's a nonsense point tbh!

All exercise fatigues your body. So if you do cardio AFTER a weight session, you will not be capable of doing a high quality cardio session! So why would anyone want to do this? It would be foolishness!

Perhaps foolishness is something that appeals to certain people... namely fools! :pac:

Did I say I do not time my outdoor runs? :pac: I simply said running outdoors removes the temptation of staring at a treadmill clock.

Judging from the OPs original post his aim is to lose weight. This can be done with simple cardio, walking, running, swimming, etc, take your pick. Most of these forms of cardio are taught at an early age so for most people they come as second nature. Training with a barbell on the other hand isn't. Id much rather be tired stepping onto a treadmill (or out onto a running path) than I would be stepping underneath a barbell. If you ask me, that would be foolish.

Also ... wtf is "high quality" cardio? Are we talking about professional level cardio here or is it cardio that burns more calories if you do it a certain way? :rolleyes:

Sure they do. I do weights 3-5 times a week depending on energy and schedule, and I also do 30 minutes of intense cycling for my commute every day. They happen completely irrespective of each other. I know people who go running after work, which has no impact on their gym schedule.

This is almost too much nonsense to reply... but for your sake, I will.

That's like saying, I walked to the shop 3 times today for milk and bread... but it had no effect on my gym session... total and utter BS - of course it has an effect! ALL MOVEMENT HAS AN EFFECT... ALL MOVEMENT!

A 30 minute intense cycling commute DOES impact EVERYTHING else you do that day... whether you realize it or not!

Some athletes even use their daily commute as part of their training for running, triathlon etc... so if it has no impact, how can these people use those sessions to help with their training??

You're making no sense Zillah - start making more sense, or I'll just consign you to that place in my mind reserved for those people for which I do not waste my valuable time and energy replying to! ;)

Ayrtonf7 wrote: »
    Also ... wtf is "high quality" cardio? Are we talking about professional level cardio here or is it cardio that burns more calories if you do it a certain way? :rolleyes:

I won't even bother replying to the rest of your post... this last bit says it all really...

Your lack of in depth understanding of human physiology is obvious from that last point. Educate yourself before getting into a discussion with me - otherwise you will continually come up woefully short! :rolleyes:

I won't even bother replying to the rest of your post... this last bit says it all really...

Please ... tell me everything I'm doing wrong. I want to bask in your knowledge oh wise one. :rolleyes:
    Your lack of in depth understanding of human physiology is obvious

Says the user who didn't even answer my question?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭Irishcrx

Do both! that's where the best benefits will come from , lift some weights , sort the diet and do some cardio and the weight will come down. Of course you can lose weight without lifting weights but if you do decide to lift as well you will retain more muscle mass and look more toned at the end of the road...
    Personally , I hate cardio in the gym I never do it I use my gym time for weights. I believe in 'Cardio without even knowing your doing cardio' and by that I mean finding a sport you love and playing it , like GAA , soccer , Rugby that way you can get the gym in early/afternoon and cardio in the evening...you run harder and burn more calories when playing sport even semi competitively..
    But if that's not your thing , do whatever feels right and what you think you have the best chance of enjoying and sticking to!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,649 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Your lack of in depth understanding of human physiology is obvious from that last point. Educate yourself before getting into a discussion with me - otherwise you will continually come up woefully short! :rolleyes:

His post made some very valid points. Perhaps you "won't even bother replying" to his post because you realise this and you are too stubborn to admit it?

The advice I have seen you give on this forum sounds like you just make stuff up as you go along.

His post made some very valid points. Perhaps you "won't even bother replying" to his post because you realise this and you are too stubborn to admit it?

The advice I have seen you give on this forum sounds like you just make stuff up as you go along.

This is the last thread that he turned into an unbearable crap heap:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057501188

I say we just move on.

Let's all try help the op instead

Thinkprogress, no offence but you're talking rubbish. If you think cardio is so good then why not post up a pic so we can all see how big you got from it?

At the end of the day if a person wants to get big they need to eat and lift and then eat after. Cardio is important for fitness but a balance has to be struck to ensure you continue to gain. Cardio will cause muscles to waste. Look at all the long distance olympian runners - they're all scrawny AF with a crap looking body, Rob Heffernan for example, he's a fantiastic athlete in his own field and no offence to the guy, but he's a skinny phag with the muscle mass of a schoolgirl.

OP should first build muscle and raise metabolism by doing big heavy compound lifts and forget about the fat. Once he got that mass on, the higher resting metabolism will chip away at the fat and he can accelerate it by going on a cut. He'll make much faster progress and get a good body by gaining mass first and then losing fat afterwards. It's gonna be much tougher if he do it the other way around cos if you cut fat first then you've also lost muscle mass meaning if he wants to put on bulk he's gonna have to go surplus and that's also put on some fat. It's just the wrong way to do it. Leave out the cardio until the post bulk cut.
    Trust me I know what I'm talking about here. It's logical. You saying he's going to end up jacked from cardio would be considered pretty incredible, even in broscience circles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭Irishcrx

Lads,
    Have you all got so caught up arguing that you're now missing the OP actual points and goals?
    He is 5'10 and 16 stone, the man is overweight and needs to lose it. He is in no condition to be bulking and gaining mass.
    OP - Follow some of the actual good advice and ignore what other are doing everyone here is at differant stages. Your goal right now is to lose the weight and get relitively lean , either do that through diet and cardio or weight lifting , diet and cardio but the goal is to lose the weight. Resistance training will help retain muscle but if you want to get lean first before doing that starting bulking from lean is best otherwise your just adding more fat that you will lose later.

• Advertisement

I am trying to give the best advice to the op. If he's 16st he's probably got a decent amount of muscle in there too. I'm advocating the most efficient means of getting him to a physique that he will be satisfied with. Going hell for leather on cardio and then trying to bulk is going to be much harder work and take far longer. Best bet is to get swole AF first and then cut.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭Piggystardust

Lads, let's focus on helping the OP instead of trying to get one up on each other. If you put that much energy into training at the gym you'd be fighting fit! :pac:

As a qualified Fitness Instructor, I'll firstly say fair play to you for joining the gym OP and for deciding to get fitter. Given that you have some weight to lose, I'd probably go easy on the treadmill at the beginning in favour of machines with less impact on your joints, like the bike for example. Swimming is another great low impact, high effect exercise.

You should aim to do a combination of cardio and weight lifting for weight loss, strength, endurance and overall fitness. Don't do weights two consecutive days, always leave a gap to allow your muscles to recover. The pain you feel the day after exercise is due to your muscles tearing and healing again, only when they 'heal' they heal tighter. The fibers tighten up hence you looking and feeling more taut. However, there's no pint having defined toned muscles if they're hidden under a layer of fat which is why combination training is the best option.

HIIT is very good as it combines cardio and weights. Spinning classes are also very effective for weight loss and toning your legs and core. Great for your cardio-vascular fitness and respiratory health also.

Impact is important to encourage calcium production and thereby strengthening your bones. This is particularly beneficial for women who have a higher chance of developing osteoporosis in later life.

When you put impact on your bones, it stimulates calcium production.

Eat a healthy balanced diet including lots of fiber, nuts, , vegetables, grains etc and most importantly, enjoy yourself!! I find if I do something I love like dancing for example, I don't find it as much of a chore. Find something you enjoy and really commit to it. The changes you'll feel both mentally and physically will be incentive enough to keep pushing for the burn!!

Best of luck OP!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,823 ✭✭✭✭First Up

OP - if you want to lose weight, burn calories. Running is good but if you are concerned about injury or don't have access to a good place to do it, cross training in the gym is an efficient, low impact alternative. So is swimming - nobody has better physiques than top class swimmers.

Do some weights if you want but ignore the body builder nonsense. Any good gym will give you a manageable programme that will tone and strengthen you, without having to join the grunting apes trying to impress each other in the free weights area.

But a mix of gym and outdoor work is by far the best. Try going for a trek - or Fartlek as they call it in Scandinavia - where you put in maybe a couple of hours of jogging, striding, hill sections and walking as needed. Do it somewhere nice and start at a realistic amount and build up gradually. My personal favourite (coming from an athletics and rugby background) is 400 metre repeats. It is demanding but does wonders for your physiology and makes you feel great.

(Crossed with post above)

Add plenty protein to that too OP. Have protein with every single meal and a fast acting protien shake after each gym session. Whatever you do don;t starve your body. When my housemate was on a bulk he was consuming upwards of 7,500 calories a day and by the end of it he was like some sort of fúckin animal, swole to ****. Worked out well for me cos he had several nice expensive shirts he'd only recently bought and they wouldn't fit him anymore so he gave them to me.

Totally agree with First up's post. Also, any activity you do outside of the gym is beneficial. Exercise doesn't begin and end in the gym! Briskly walking to work counts, cycling round the park at the weekend counts, hoovering your apartment, dancing round the kitchen while singing into the spatula as you cook...ehh not that I've ever done this.. it all counts!!

Add plenty protein to that too OP. Have protein with every single meal and a fast acting protien shake after each gym session. Whatever you do don;t starve your body. When my housemate was on a bulk he was consuming upwards of 7,500 calories a day and by the end of it he was like some sort of fúckin animal, swole to ****. Worked out well for me cos he had several nice expensive shirts he'd only recently bought and they wouldn't fit him anymore so he gave them to me.

Why are so many people focusing on the OP bulking up??? He never mentioned bulking up or body building. He said he wants to lose weight!!:confused:

Well we're assuming that because he's a male he end-goal is an ideal physique rather than a simple weight loss that merely fits him into the normal band of the BMI charts without having a good enough body.

Well we're assuming that because he's a male he end-goal is an ideal physique rather than a simple weight loss that merely fits him into the normal band of the BMI charts without having a good enough body.

Yeah but having a nice toned physique is very different to bulking up and consuming 7,000 calories. You can achieve a great physique by combining cardio and weights without all the protein shake, drinking raw eggs, eating 50,000 mgs of chicken nonsense that a lot of lads harp on about.

Some of the guys I see at the gym look so ridiculous. We used to always find steroids in the changing rooms and even needles from people injecting themselves with steroids.

Once you're in proportion and healthy that's what really looks and feels good. By that I mean, if you train your biceps, be sure to train your triceps. If your work your back, be sure to work your chest etc. Some guys looks so disproportionate and it's laughable!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,038 ✭✭✭circadian

There are plenty of beginner's programmes. This one is well regarded, for example.

I can definitely recommend the stronglifts program. I started at 9 stone and made a 1.5 stone gain in about 2 months. It's a simple, easy to follow program that'll get you strong and in shape.

Just remember form is everything.

A few friends who were overweight got some incredible results after about 4 months and now a year later they're in fantastic shape.

I agree with the above on cardio, get a bike or head for a run. Cycling is better as running can take it's toll on your joints.

Edit: I noticed a lot of posts about protein shakes etc. I wouldn't bother unless you want to bulk and get huge. Making sure your diet is good is enough. I'm now at 12 stone after 6 months and feeling great. I'm by no means huge and I haven't gotten much bigger but as my mum put it "you look a lot stronger" My diet has just changed to have protein rich foods like rolled oats and fish, nuts etc. Plenty of salad and less fried food, snacks etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭Useful.Idiot

I don't think the OP would want to gain any more weight at the moment, and bulking when you're overweight is probably the wrong way to go. Bulking is best starting off from a leaner physique. In fact the OP could probably build some muscle while losing weight if he's a beginner (if the "beginner gains" myth is to be believed) and he combined weightlifting and cardio with a healthy weight loss diet.

I can also recommend Stronglifts 5x5. Great simple program for beginners whether for weight gain or loss.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭boxermad

Thanks to everyone for there replies. Today I done 30 mins cardio. 15 treadmill 10 cross trainer. 5 rower (bad knee so had to cut it short.) and then started the 5X5 programme for 35 mins. Followed by 4 lengths of the 20 meter pool(not a very good swimmer but it's a start). Now just wondering should I add in core work also? Or do core work at home on the day's rest from the gym?
    Also on a food plan too I got off a friend of mine who would have been similiar build to me too. I've changed from a toasted sandwich for lunch to a fillet of salmon with veg ha.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭Useful.Idiot

boxermad wrote: »
    Thanks to everyone for there replies. Today I done 30 mins cardio. 15 treadmill 10 cross trainer. 5 rower (bad knee so had to cut it short.) and then started the 5X5 programme for 35 mins. Followed by 4 lengths of the 20 meter pool(not a very good swimmer but it's a start). Now just wondering should I add in core work also? Or do core work at home on the day's rest from the gym?
    Also on a food plan too I got off a friend of mine who would have been similiar build to me too. I've changed from a toasted sandwich for lunch to a fillet of salmon with veg ha.

Sounds great man! It's ridiculous when you realise how much less calories you take in when you cut down on stuff like bread.

Maybe someone else with more knowledge can chime in but I would say once the weight on your 5x5's gets to challenging levels then the 30 mins of cardio beforehand might have your energy zapped and could negatively affect your lifts. The general consensus I've read is to do cardio after weights or on your off days if you have the time. Though I suppose it depends on your goals, if you want to be mainly focused on cardio work then cardio first is fine but you might catch the lifting bug and then you'll want to focus most of your energy on getting your lifts up :)

Extra core work isn't necessary as squats and deadlifts really hit your core hard when the weight gets really heavy but there's definitely no harm in adding some isolated core work like planks, crunches or knee raises to the end of your workout. I would say not to do them on rest days as your abdominal muscles need a recovery day too from your lifts!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 455 ✭✭TheSegal

Going to echo some of the previous posters comments and say try and find a hobby that incorporates exercise into it. I do martial arts, didn't have much weight to lose but still lost some and gained a lot of self-confidence too.

Other than that a big focus should also be on your diet OP (you can work a builder like a dog but bad materials will still result in a shack at the end!). The salmon fillet is a good start. Do you mind posting a typical days diet, warts and all!

Also, you said you had to cut things short due to a bad knee? Might be worth booking a session with a personal trainer to go over the lifts used in the 5x5 program to ensure you're doing them correctly, a small investment now will beat a load of physio visits in the future if something goes wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭boxermad

TheSegal wrote: »
    Going to echo some of the previous posters comments and say try and find a hobby that incorporates exercise into it. I do martial arts, didn't have much weight to lose but still lost some and gained a lot of self-confidence too.

Other than that a big focus should also be on your diet OP (you can work a builder like a dog but bad materials will still result in a shack at the end!). The salmon fillet is a good start. Do you mind posting a typical days diet, warts and all!

Also, you said you had to cut things short due to a bad knee? Might be worth booking a session with a personal trainer to go over the lifts used in the 5x5 program to ensure you're doing them correctly, a small investment now will beat a load of physio visits in the future if something goes wrong

With work can't really fit in commitment to a local team or join a mma group. So it's basically just the gym for the time being. Gym is just over a mile away and walk to and from also.
    Today now I has granola with skimmed milk and cup of green tea for breakfast. Then tea break I had an apple and a pear.
    Lunch I had 90 gms of roast turkey breast with spinach green beans and seeetcorn.
    Break around now 4pm I'm having 3 ryvitas with light cottage cheese, a banana and a mandarin. Finish work then I will have 180gms of cod fillet with roast sweet potato broccoli and carrots.
    Snack after dinner will be 2 more items of fruit.

As of going to a personal trainer I will be meeting with one on occasion but as there block booked at the minute I'm not booked in until this day next week. So then I will get the programme to work on. But as of now just need advise to help me along

boxermad wrote: »

Yes, do core work. Do it in tandem with your other routines...

What you've shown here, is a decent start. You'll want to kick on from here when you're feeling more ambitious.

My first recommendation would be to combine your cardio work with your strength building work. Try to avoid doing sessions that are solely devoted to strength - you should always be trying to incorporate some form of cardio-type movements into/alongside your strength work - IF you want exceptional results from your efforts!

A lot of people will advise you to do them separately, but they are dead wrong!

It's okay to do sessions with just cardio, but make sure to vary up the cardio work - by this I mean you should be doing a good mixture of different intensity variations. Don't just do slow cardio - although the slow stuff is vital and very beneficial, you need higher intensity work too. (our bodies were not designed to move at just ONE pace!) ;)

With regards to the strength work, my recommendation would be to focus predominantly on body-weight exercises - pushups/sit-ups/chinups/dips etc...

Bodybuilding/weightlifting/powerlifting style strength work is okay to do occasionally, but you should NOT rely on this kind of work for the foundation of your strength work... it's not ideal. Body-weight work will give you better all round fitness benefits, as well as a more aesthetic physique!

Best of luck with your efforts! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,658 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

With regards to the strength work, my recommendation would be to focus predominantly on body-weight exercises - pushups/sit-ups/chinups/dips etc...

Bodybuilding/weightlifting/powerlifting style strength work is okay to do occasionally, but you should NOT rely on this kind of work for the foundation of your strength work... it's not ideal. Body-weight work will give you better all round fitness benefits, as well as a more aesthetic physique!

Best of luck with your efforts! :)

What lower body strength training with bodyweight would you suggest got the OP, since you're ruling out using any weights?

What lower body strength training with bodyweight would you suggest got the OP, since you're ruling out using any weights?

When did I rule out using weights?

You having trouble with reading or just merely comprehension? :p

When did I rule out using weights?

You having trouble with reading or just merely comprehension? :p

...and bodyweight work for strengthening the lower body?

...and bodyweight work for strengthening the lower body?

Are we moving on now? Your comprehension skills have suddenly improved, or do you want further clarification?

Do you REALLY want me to spell out how someone should use their body-weight to strengthen their lower body? Is this the level we're conversing at on this message board? :rolleyes:

Or are you just being obtuse, because you are obsessed with doing squats until your knees f*cking explode!? :p (Yes, I know how much you squat btw - you are a major contributor to that ridiculously pointless squat thread over there -->) :D

Lay off the squats dude... try some other stuff. I'm telling you this for your own good. ;)

Are we moving on now? Your comprehension skills have suddenly improved, or do you want further clarification?

Do you REALLY want me to spell out how someone should use their body-weight to strengthen their lower body? Is this the level we're conversing at on this message board? :rolleyes:

Or are you just being obtuse, because you are obsessed with doing squats until your knees f*cking explode!? :p (Yes, I know how much you squat btw - you are a major contributor to that ridiculously pointless squat thread over there -->) :D

Lay off the squats dude... try some other stuff. I'm telling you this for your own good. ;)

Thanks. I'll take that on board.

But since you gave the OP examples of bodyweight exercises - chin ups, push ups, dips, etc - and if you want to help the OP, then maybe expand a bit more on a comprehensive set of exercises than just throwing out some basic upper body exercises.

• Advertisement

Thanks. I'll take that on board.

But since you gave the OP examples of bodyweight exercises - chin ups, push ups, dips, etc - and if you want to help the OP, then maybe expand a bit more on a comprehensive set of exercises than just throwing out some basic upper body exercises.

Oh, so now you are choosing to recognize that my message to the OP was not a comprehensive list or a complete "how-to" guide? (funny how you can comprehend just fine when it suits you!) ;)

If the OP wants further in depth details, I'm sure they'll ask... I try not to treat people like they're clueless. (although with some people that's not easy)

Now, are you still pretending not to know how to use your OWN body-weight to strengthen your lower body? (I'm just curious - it will tell me a great deal about you)

If you genuinely don't know, then please say so and I will be more than happy to give you some advice! We're all here to help each other! :)

Oh, so now you are choosing to recognize that my message to the OP was not a comprehensive list or a complete "how-to" guide? (funny how you can comprehend just fine when it suits you!) ;)

If the OP wants further in depth details, I'm sure they'll ask... I try not to treat people like they're clueless. (although with some people that's not easy)

Now, are you still pretending not to know how to use your OWN body-weight to strengthen your lower body? (I'm just curious - it will tell me a great deal about you)

If you genuinely don't know, then please say so and I will be more than happy to give you some advice! We're all here to help each other! :)

It's ok to say you don't know. I don't need your advice. The OP asked for advice but you either don't want to or can't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Johnnyhpipe

Cardio helps with weight loss. However resistance training (weights) is what helps you look "in shape". So try include a bit of both. Plenty off good programmes on the app store or free on the likes of bodybuilding dot com.

Enjoy!

It's ok to say you don't know. I don't need your advice. The OP asked for advice but you either don't want to or can't.

Great retort... it's that all you got? (btw you certainly do appear to need advice - mine or someone else's... but you certainly do need to gain greater insight IMO) :)

He has my advice. If wants more he can ask for more... or I might offer him some more in due time AFTER I give him some time to digest the information he already has! ;)

If you are personally eager for greater details, please PM me and I will be happy to furnish you with as much details as you want... But beware, I live and breath this sh*t, so I can talk all day and night about the "details"... I doubt you have the same appetite for such in depth discussion. So be forewarned if you choose to enter that particular rabbit hole! :D

Great retort... it's that all you got? (btw you certainly do appear to need advice - mine or someone else's... but you certainly do need to gain greater insight IMO) :)

He has my advice. If wants more he can ask for more... or I might offer him some more in due time AFTER I give him some time to digest the information he already has! ;)

If you are personally eager for greater details, please PM me and I will be happy to furnish you with as much details as you want... But beware, I live and breath this sh*t, so I can talk all day and night about the "details"... I doubt you have the same appetite for such in depth discussion. So be forewarned if you choose to enter that particular rabbit hole! :D

You don't really offer advice though. You throw out vague comments about bodyweight exercises and that's fine. There's just so little in it that it doesn't constitute advice.

I do take advice but from people who know more. Everyone should. You haven't indicated I'd learn much from you but feel free to prove me wrong if you so wish.

You don't really offer advice though. You throw out vague comments about bodyweight exercises and that's fine. There's just so little in it that it doesn't constitute advice.

I do take advice but from people who know more. Everyone should. You haven't indicated I'd learn much from you but feel free to prove me wrong if you so wish.

I have proven you wrong... all you've been is wrong so far... (sorry, but it's the truth)

Clearly you are one of those individuals who really struggle with this stuff. So like I said, send me a PM and I will clarify anything that is confusing you!

What I have given, is some excellent starting points for a "gym noob" as the OP describes themselves!

(remember you don't want to scare people off with information overload - you need to take a patient approach to imparting knowledge - drip feed it and hopefully it will generate further curiosity!) ;)

I have proven you wrong... all you've been is wrong so far... (sorry, but it's the truth)

Clearly you are one of those individuals who really struggle with this stuff. So like I said, send me a PM and I will clarify anything that is confusing you!

What I have given, is some excellent starting points for a "gym noob" as the OP describes themselves!

(remember you don't want to scare people off with information overload - you need to take a patient approach to imparting knowledge - drip feed it and hopefully it will generate further curiosity!) ;)

Like I thought.

Like I thought.

Sorry, I don't see much evidence of thought Alf.... maybe that's your problem. ;)

Maybe you need to take a deep breath and really give this stuff some thinking time... really devote yourself to the cerebral aspect of human physiology! (It's worth the effort Alf - I am walking proof of that)

Think of yourself like a novice student of human physiology! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

My work brings me into contact, on paper and in court, with experts from various fields; medicine, geologists, engineering etc.

The defining characteristic of the most knowledgeable is the ability to simplify and present to the uneducated a complicated idea in a simple format.

A spoofer does the opposite, usually vague,lot of unnecessary discussion and with a lack of clarity and the over reluctance on side tracking when cornered.

Arrogance is much more common in the later than former unfortunately.

ford2600 wrote: »
    My work brings me into contact, on paper and in court, with experts from various fields; medicine, geologists, engineering etc.

The defining characteristic of the most knowledgeable is the ability to simplify and present to the uneducated a complicated idea in a simple format.

A spoofer does the opposite, usually vague,lot of unnecessary discussion and with a lack of clarity and the over reluctance on side tracking when cornered.

Arrogance is much more common in the later than former unfortunately.

I am in constant dialog with myself, with regard to keeping things simple for you guys... as I have already stated, my head is filled with a vast quantity of information from a life spent studying this stuff.

It would be very easy for me to pour information onto these threads, and write very long boring posts. But I do not do this. I restrain myself, for the benefit of those reading. And also because I favor a guided discovery methodology of learning.... this is where you feed the reader enough information to stimulate greater curiosity and generate more questions.

This way the student becomes hungry to gain information themselves, and is not sitting there being lectured to! :)

My arrogance is simply a product of my high achievements... and also it is further fueled by those individuals who choose to ridicule opinions which they do not understand or agree with.

When I am faced with obstinate individuals, arrogance is my reaction. Because there is no weakness or doubt within my mind... it's literally impossible to penetrate my psyche and attempt to plant seeds of doubt.

It's a fruitless endevour on your part guys... You have likely never met anyone who has as much supreme confidence in themselves or their methods as me! ;)

(It is, however, amusing to watch - even if you guys are guilty of derailing these threads away from their main purpose)

• Advertisement
Advertisement