Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Gym newbie

2»

Comments

enough bickering. Thinkprogress that includes you

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 657 ✭✭✭Musketeer4

Hi op. Well done on the start. It's a good start. A few points though:

Where the protein in your diet. You fit lots of carbs in there wich is OK but you need to up the protein if you're training.
    You need to make sure your getting enough protein if you want to progress. At least a 200g chicken serving at each meal or 30g of powder. Eating natural yogurt is good.

Then in the training side, you don't want to be doing any of that 5 for 5, 2 rep, 1 rep stuff. You gotta be hitting 15 rep of better ideally.
    Have rest days but rest different alternate different groups on different days. Like you might smash arms one day, thrash the abs and chest the next, then maul the legs and then day 4 is rest, then develop the back.

And as for whoever said bodyweight gives a good physique..... Lolz. It might be OK for toning though.

Make sure you track progress so you start motivated. Don't mind weighing yourself. Focus on body composition and your goal should be to get your body fat percentage down to say 12-15 prevent but not decrease weight too much.

I'd not advocate doing cardio in tandem with strength and lifting ask the time, that will reduce preferred. Set 2 days aside for cardio and so hiit, say spinning followed by circuits with weights. Make sure to load in plenty the carbs on cardio day, and more again afterwards and protein to make sure the cardio is not hampering growth. Cardio and getting big are sworn enemies and you need to get the balance right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

ThinkProgress is Donald Trump if he decided he wanted to be a personal trainer.

"I know all the best workouts. Everyone says my workouts are the best workouts. Your advice is garbage; the worst advice I've ever seen, the worst. You can't trust these scientists, they don't know what they're talking about. I know more about the human body than they do; no one knows more about fitness than I do. I'm the smartest fitness trainer in the world."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭Irishcrx

Zillah wrote: »

"I know all the best workouts. Everyone says my workouts are the best workouts. Your advice is garbage; the worst advice I've ever seen, the worst. You can't trust these scientists, they don't know what they're talking about. I know more about the human body than they do; no one knows more about fitness than I do. I'm the smartest fitness trainer in the world."
    Lol says it all really...
    In some ways it's funny , in other ways it's frustrating... I'd imagine some of the thing's a few posters would like to say to him here would result in a ban so I just try to ignore anything he says...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭ThinkProgress

Musketeer4 wrote: »
    And as for whoever said bodyweight gives a good physique..... Lolz. It might be OK for toning though.

d262f9.jpg

Yeah, you're totally right... ^^ This chap above for example, who favors mostly BW strength work... this guy should be totally ashamed to take his shirt off looking like that! :P

Gawd Zillah... Thanks so much for choosing to compare me with one of the most successful human beings in history! You must hold me in such high esteem! :D
    Irishcrx wrote: »
    In some ways it's funny , in other ways it's frustrating... I'd imagine some of the thing's a few posters would like to say to him here would result in a ban so I just try to ignore anything he says...

Send them in a pm... If you have a genuine talent for insults, it might give me some entertainment. ;)

Progress can create some frustration. It really is inevitable. But just try to remember that most great thinkers usually face strong opposition, so it's completely natural. This is a very helpful way to rationalize it in your mind... :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 657 ✭✭✭Musketeer4

Yeah, you're totally right... ^^ This chap above for example, who favors mostly BW strength work... this guy should be totally ashamed to take his shirt off looking like that!

Well, he is very disproportionate. Abs and arms are good but his pecks are way underdeveloped as are his legs, calves especially which are skinny. Overall, he's not even all that big. He's much closer Abercombe & Fitch model skinny than swolehalla.

Whats more, bodyweight exerercises, even if they can do that, are a very inefficient way of making gains. Proper weight training is the most efficient way of getting big and bodyweight just doesn't have the level of resistance required. You need to be failing at 12-15 reps. And even in all this you have to keep getting those calories in if any headway is to be made. Op shouldn't want to be spending his money on anything but food and weights if he wants to get big.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭Irishcrx

Musketeer4 wrote: »

d262f9.jpg

Yeah, you're totally right... ^^ This chap above for example, who favors mostly BW strength work... this guy should be totally ashamed to take his shirt off looking like that! :P

Gawd Zillah... Thanks so much for choosing to compare me with one of the most successful human beings in history! You must hold me in such high esteem! :D
    Irishcrx wrote: »

Send them in a pm... If you have a genuine talent for insults, it might give me some entertainment. ;)

Progress can create some frustration. It really is inevitable. But just try to remember that most great thinkers usually face strong opposition, so it's completely natural. This is a very helpful way to rationalize it in your mind... :)
    Oh sure, I've better thing's to do than be sending PM's to anyone insulting them grow up...
    Doesn't need to be any great debate about your 'help' or 'expertise' just simply...an empty can rattles the most.

Advertisement