Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cycling attire - starter. Advice?

Options
  • 17-10-2016 7:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭

Hey guys,

Soon to be beginner cyclist (road bike).

What would you guys recommend as a minimum list of clothing for a beginner; bearing in mind winter is coming?

Any particular brands worth considering?

Any view on Halfords' gear?

Many thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,192 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

• Bib shorts + leg warmers or bib tights -- Bibs have straps that go over your shoulder making them more comfortable than standard shorts/legging with an elastic waist.
    • Long sleeve base layer -- Usually thin stretchy material, but they keep you warm as they're body hugging. You can get merino wool ones too, though they tend to be more expensive (the cheap ones can itch).
    • Long sleeve jersey -- You can get thicker jerseys for winter. Or double up on summer ones if you already have some (with/without arm warmers).
    • Breathable jacket -- The usual pick two rule: cheap, waterproof, breathable. I generally avoid jackets unless it's really cold as I find I overheat. Gabba is the boardsie approved jacket of choice I think. A rain jacket that can be rolled up and put in your pocket is better than a boil in the bag one.
    • Overshoes -- Keeps your feet warm and delays the wet getting to your socks.
    • Long finger gloves
    • Under helmet hat -- A thin beanie under your helmet can help, especially if you have one that covers your ears. Failing that, look for a Belgian style one.
    • Gaiter/Neck warmer -- Keeps the cold and wind out of your gob, but can be lowered when not needed. You could probably get away without, but if you're prone to sore throats I'd recommend one.

Autumn/winter is all about layers, the more the better. You can double up on most things (including socks and gloves), and you can always delayer when you warm up.

If you plan on group cycling mudguards are a must. If you're a solo cyclist, they're still handy for keeping your feet and ass dry. Lights are also important with the shorter duller days. Sunglasses with interchangeable lenses (clear and amber) help on dull days too.

DHB on Wiggle is a good starter brand (their exchange rate is a bit dodgy at the moment, so either use Parcel Motel or visit a local bike shop for another brand). Aldi and Lidl have some stuff too, though they may be hard to find (the winter gear was in Aldi a few weeks ago). I've never tried any of Halfords clothes.

If it's icy, stay in bed ;)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,618 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

one word of warning, if you're used to cycling shorts; bib shorts/tights leave little room for 'adjustment' after you put them on.
    make sure you're well adjusted before leaving the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Luxman

Buy cheap and buy twice. Get some decent gear and it will last years.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭irishrover99

Wear what you like and don't worry about what anyone else thinks.
    Don't overspend at the start incase you give up cycling after a few months and it all goes to waste, along with the bike.
    Get a High Viz if you are commuting in the dark and lights.
    Get used to men looking at you to check out you are wearing,assuming you are a man it may feel strange at the start but you'll get used to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭NLC1072

Re Halfords wear; the Boardman bib shorts/tights are amazing! Their Altura jerseys are brilliant too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭moonshadow

Buy once and buy right , especially bib shorts the Aldi upperware is ok but shorts imho you need to spend a few bob on.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,520 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Only the finest clobber will do for a gentleman going about town on their velocipede.

mens_cycle_costume_victorian_2.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

Weepsie wrote: »
    Only the finest clobber will do for a gentleman going about town on their velocipede.

mens_cycle_costume_victorian_2.jpg

Woo, there's a change. We usually see Phil Lynnot with a guitar in hand, not a bike...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,769 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

Not sure if the OP is asking about commuting or training. If commuting, and the typical journey is by the standards of his or her fitness not long, try normal clothes maybe. Always worked for me, though it does involve carrying a few changes of top. You can always swap in more cycling-specific clothing for whatever aspect of normal clothing doesn't work for you.

Mind you, you have a road bike. Maybe that doesn't really work with normal clothes, with the geometry and the clipless pedals and all that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Fian

Agree with the above. I have decent gear/shorts to use at the weekends or on long cycles but my commuting gear is mostly from LIDL/ALDI.

Commuting 7km to work I wear a pair of cotton shorts, some Lycra/microfibre unpadded "underwear" in the summer or unpadded tights in the winter, a cycling top, helmet, runners & socks and an altura soft shell jacket or an altura rain jacket if it is wet. I wear winter or summer gloves depending on the weather and I have a little skull cap to cover my ears under the helmet if it is really frigid. I have some long sleeve cycling tops as well and a few base layers but i don't really ever use them for the short commute. Arm warmers are a good idea to pick up but again I don't bother with them on commute really.

All of this commuting gear probably came from LIDL or ALdi, with a few bits from decathlon I have picked up on holidays thrown into the mix as well. Some of it was picked up during "running" gear weekly specials rather than cycling and i would struggle to figure out which tbh. Decathlon stuff (BT twin) is generally better than the LIDL/ALDI stuff imo.

If these get wet it doesn't mater because I strip everything off in the office, quick wipe with baby wipes and I dress in fresh clothes. I keep suits and shoes in work and travel in with a shirt, pair of socks and underwear in a backpack. I obviously also keep an emergency shirt, socks and underwear in the office in case I forget them some day.

That is sufficient to enable cycling in comfortably in all conditions other than snow/ice or dangerous winds.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭halvis

You need to try this stuff on if its your first time and Endura or Altura are fairly available in shops and seem to offer reasonable value. Don't be tempted to buy off the internet or mail order yet.

I would go for normal cycling shorts as well at first!

• Registered Users Posts: 29,079 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

[*]Under helmet hat -- A thin beanie under your helmet can help, especially if you have one that covers your ears.
    I picked up a nicely thin 'running hat' in Lidl at the weekend, which fits well under the helmet and covers most, though not quite all, of the ears, if anyone is looking for this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Fian

I picked up a nicely thin 'running hat' in Lidl at the weekend, which fits well under the helmet and covers most, though not quite all, of the ears, if anyone is looking for this.

I pulled this out of my drawer this week:

http://www.decathlon.ie/500-balaclava-seamless-en-s120483.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭NiallBoo

Decathlon is perfect.

It's not pro gear but it's decent and great value - perfect for starting off. They should have discounts on their cycling gear about now too.

Unfortunately you'll have to wander up to Belfast or order online though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭OleRodrigo

You can commute in your civvies. No need to spend on cycling gear for commuting, except for rain trousers and a jacket, IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,769 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

OleRodrigo wrote: »
    You can commute in your civvies. No need to spend on cycling gear for commuting, except for rain trousers and a jacket, IMO.
    Depends on how you sweat and so on, and how far you're commuting, but that's my experience too.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,079 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

OleRodrigo wrote: »
    tomasrojo wrote: »
    Depends on how you sweat and so on, and how far you're commuting, but that's my experience too.
    And it depends on your riding style - I use my commute as my daily exercise, so I really need cycling gear and a shower at the end of the journey.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭OleRodrigo

tomasrojo wrote: »

True, and conditioning as well I suppose.

Some summer days I'd wear a cycling jersey. But for a relatively short commute getting dressed up and down again twice a day shouldn't be necessary.

We can refer to more developed cycling cultures such as Denmark and Holland where there isn't much 'sportification' of utility cycling. They get along fine in a similar climate on commutes up to 10/ 15 km each way, with just some rain gear to throw on when needs be.

Advertisement