Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Free channels on sky box (insert your sky viewing card)

• 17-10-2016 7:42pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,626 ✭✭✭

I bought a sky HD box from done deal for use in my new house for the free channels.

Some of the channels work like Bbc1 & 2 but channels such as Channel 4, E4 etc don't work and it's saying to 'insert your sky viewing card'

Does anyone have a solution for this?

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,408 ✭✭✭✭muffler

You need one of these :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,626 ✭✭✭Del007

How come some of the channels work like BBC, sky news?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,408 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Del007 wrote: »
    How come some of the channels work like BBC, sky news?
    Some of the more educated posters here may explain it better than me but I think it has to do with regional restrictions. By using the UK viewing card the box reads it as if its the UK epg that has to be displayed with associated channels being available for viewing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭wil

The holy grail of sky hd being able to reset a sky hd box to default uk menu.

It has been asked several times over the years but never got a definitive answer so assumed it was hard coded. It was suggested the irish epg is stored on the drive so I was tempted to remove and reformat the drive. Was all ready when I found I had managed to revert it to uk epg without doing anything drastic.
    This has been annoying me for ages, wanted to use a spare sky hd box in spare room with the same uk epg menu as regular sky box. Until now nothing seemed to work and most people suggested getting a uk or freesat card, but it seems you may not need it.
    Obviously this won't allow recording but hey.

I can't say which step worked and it may have taken a ota update to complete .
    Here's what I did, can't be certain of order.

Went in to hidden menu services - system setup 01 select.
    Reset to default, think I tried a rebuild.
    Set to single lnb mode
    Rebooted , no change.
    Think I got notice of an ota update a week ago. Still no change.
    Did a complete unplugged power off
    Left it overnight.
    Today have a uk epg.
    Yeah brexsat

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭steveon

wil wrote: »

It has been asked several times over the years but never got a definitive answer so assumed it was hard coded. It was suggested the irish epg is stored on the drive so I was tempted to remove and reformat the drive. Was all ready when I found I had managed to revert it to uk epg without doing anything drastic.
    This has been annoying me for ages, wanted to use a spare sky hd box in spare room with the same uk epg menu as regular sky box. Until now nothing seemed to work and most people suggested getting a uk or freesat card, but it seems you may not need it.

Set to single lnb mode
    Rebooted , no change.
    Left it overnight.
    Today have a uk epg.
    Yeah brexsat

Getting a free to view card is a better option as it gives you a couple of extra channels as well such as sony channel, sony movies, 4music, Yesterday +1 so for the few quid an easier and better option.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

steveon wrote: »
    Getting a free to view card is a better option as it gives you a couple of extra channels as well such as sony channel, sony movies, 4music, Yesterday +1 so for the few quid an easier and better option.

More satisfying when you do it yourself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭steveon

jca wrote: »
    More satisfying when you do it yourself.

I think sony movies is an excellent channel which you dont get for free without the card so I will agree to disagree with you on that..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,981 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Think I know the answer already but would those Sony channels be possible on a freesat setup with an arriva 250 or do you need a card? Are there cards you can buy that would add more channels to an arriva 250?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,042 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Thargor wrote: »
    Think I know the answer already but would those Sony channels be possible on a freesat setup with an arriva 250 or do you need a card? Are there cards you can buy that would add more channels to an arriva 250?

You need a card.
    They used to be available on a Setanta card for the FTV programming.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭wil

Well this turned out to be an easier and better option for me.
    Especially as it's a spare box occasionally used. Now for no extra charge I've got all the free channels in hd with epg everyone is used to.

Have Sony Movies on the main box and don't recall ever watching anything on it, There's more than enough to watch from all the big channels without paying for something I already don't watch. There must be be a dozen or more free music channels, so another really wouldn't be much of a selling point

Also no reason to assume sky couldn't deactivate old cards in the future.
    But if you specifically want those channels then you need a card.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 44 newmem

wil wrote: »

Set to single lnb mode
    Rebooted , no change.
    Left it overnight.
    Today have a uk epg.
    Yeah brexsat

I know this is an old thread but still relevant. Thanks to Wil I got my sky + box working as it was giving me an error about my viewing card when I was trying to view other channels and it is now working. I had already done the reset to factory settings and the planner rebuild but no luck however the solution was to change the setting to Single LNB mode and I can now view all the other free channels. I guess since you are not using the recording function it must reset the box back to a basic receiver that doesn't block you from adding other channels.

Thanks for your help

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭mackersdublin

157/257 Sony Channel
    321/322 Sony Movies

Both channels and their +1's are Free-to-air, so no need for a card

Only 4Music (139) and Yesterday +1 (255) are Free-to-view along with Local TV (117) on the UK EPG

• Registered Users Posts: 1 johnwilliam59

I had a HD box and i found I got a lot more channels with the older sky box if you can get your hands on one

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

We don’t drag up old threads

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement