Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Question about driving licence (moving from Lerner to Full licence)

• 17-10-2016 8:54pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys,

I've been driving motorbikes for decades now but I finally got my **** together and got a car licence, passed my test the other day have my certificate but I have a question I am hoping someone can help clarify as I cant find anything on this either way.

I have passed my test, I have the certificate of competency on me but what I dont know is if I can now drive without being accompanied or do I have to wait until I get my appointment with the NDLS and pay them for my new full driving licence?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,301 ✭✭✭Supergurrier

U should have gotten a receipt, drive her on and get yourself an N plate

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭Dara Robinson

U should have gotten a receipt, drive her on and get yourself an N plate

Yea, he called it a Certificate of competency. I have that, so with that I can change to N plates and drive around alone?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,902 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

You need to go to the NDLS centre and apply for the license. You can't drive on your own yet legally.

If you have a full bike license for years, there's no need for the N plates

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,922 ✭✭✭GM228

The receipt is only a confirmation of passing the driving test and meeting the required standards required to gain a full licence. Until you actually get your full licence then you don't have a full licence and still hold a provisional licence and are subject to any restrictions imposed by it (such as L plates, accompanied by another driver etc).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,794 ✭✭✭Jesus.

N plates are a fukking farce. I feel for you having to use them despite passing your test OP :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,902 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

he won't have to use n plates if he has the bike license more than 2 years

• Closed Accounts Posts: 454 ✭✭b_mac2

If you already had a full A licence, you don't need to put up an N plate for the car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,922 ✭✭✭GM228

he won't have to use n plates if he has the bike license more than 2 years

Correct, N plates are a once off requirement, they do not transfer to a new category of vehicle added on your licence once you have completed the initial 2 year period of having any full licence category.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Yea, he called it a Certificate of competency. I have that, so with that I can change to N plates and drive around alone?

A certificate of competency is not a license. You must wait until you have your B license in your hand before you can drive unaccompanied. This has been covered many times in the Learning to Drive forum.

Advertisement