Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Seeking to get key of rented apartment copied

Options
  • 17-10-2016 9:46pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5

I have a similar problem at the moment, need to get a key cut which I think is a security key but I don't have the code to allow a locksmith to cut it.

Does anyone know if there is any way to still have the key cut without the code, or any locksmiths who can do it?

Would be grateful for any info, thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Baby01032012

newbie50 wrote: »
    I have a similar problem at the moment, need to get a key cut which I think is a security key but I don't have the code to allow a locksmith to cut it.

Does anyone know if there is any way to still have the key cut without the code, or any locksmiths who can do it?

Youll need to find out the locksmith whos key it is....is there a name/company on the key? If so you could call the locksmith....If youre in apartment, management agent will be able to tell you, however this needs to go through the landlord if you are renting...management agent for the block (a lot of the time) will have to give permission via email to the locksmith to cut the key...so you will need to talk to agent/lanlord (if you are a tenant).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5 newbie50

Thanks for your reply!

Unfortunately, I cannot get in touch with my landlord at the moment and don't actually know who the management company are, but really need a copy of the key as soon as possible, so was wondering whether anyone might know of any way to get a copy made/any locksmith who knows how to do this without the authorisation code or permission?

Thanks again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Mod note

Thread split. Welcome to boards OP. We prefer if people don't bump threads that are years old as a lot of the information can be out dated.

Posters are reminded to post within the law on this subject. Thanks

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5 newbie50

Hi all, having a problem at the moment that I would appreciate any help with! I lost my apartment key and need to get a new key cut. However, I think the key was a security key with an authorisation code- some locksmiths have said the code is necessary to get a copy of the key. Unfortunately, I do not have this code!

Does anyone know if there is any way to still have the key cut without the code, or any locksmiths who can do it without having the authorisation card?

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭Gmaximum

newbie50 wrote:
    Does anyone know if there is any way to still have the key cut without the code, or any locksmiths who can do it without having the authorisation card?

newbie50 wrote:

They can but they won't as the authorisation card is there to keep your keys secure.

Your best bet is to go back to the original locksmith who did the job and get it sorted through them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,353 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

The point of security keys is that they can't be cut by anyone who feels like it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Threads merged

• Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Baby01032012

You will need permission from the landlord, Management agent will need it. Maybe ask caretaker or other residents who the management agent is if you cant get in touch with landlord...then talk to them...they might accept copy of lease and valid ID...so that they can then give authorisation to locksmith and send you to him....or they may only accept request from Landlord. Its your only option...no way around it.

Advertisement