Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How Do I Find Out About Local Battle/Skirmish?

Options
  • 17-10-2016 10:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭

There's a house nearby called "Red House" 200+ years. Supposedly it's called that because a battle took place there. How would I find out more? There is a bit of a local history scene but they're only really interested in the last 150 years. I'm in county Dublin if that helps

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,794 ✭✭✭Jesus.

If you give the location somebody might know about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭mikefoxo

It's in a village called Glencullen (Gleann Cuileann - the valley of holly in Irish). It's where Johnnie Foxes Pub is

• Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭tabbey

mikefoxo wrote: »
    There's a house nearby called "Red House" 200+ years. Supposedly it's called that because a battle took place there. How would I find out more? There is a bit of a local history scene but they're only really interested in the last 150 years. I'm in county Dublin if that helps

Without looking into the subject, I would hazard a guess that it originally got the name from a red door, or possibly red roof tiles / rusting corrugated iron roof.. It is also possible that the setting sun cast a red light on it.

It is even possible that it was inhabited by redhead damsels.

There are so many possibilities.

To find out more, I would start studying the house on Griffith's Valuation, and see who lived there in the censuses of 1901 & 1911. You could also go to the local studies section of your local library,and see what they have on Glencullen, always assuming that you live in DLR or the Dublin area.

Tbf you're probably right tabbey, maybe it was just two fellas gave each other a bloody nose! I know a little about the family that lived there, and there was one sister, but I never heard of her being a redhead or a famed beauty :)

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭kildarejohn

One source that can be useful in researching local names/stories is the database of Folklore recorded by schoolchildren - http://www.duchas.ie/en/cbes - However Glencullen doesn't seem to be on the list - nearest is Kiltiernan, might be worth checking out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19 Abhoth

The Fenian uprising of 1867 took the police Barracks at Glencullen. Perhaps that is another angle to pursue.

I never thought of that, thanks Abhoth

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Matpuk4321

What's the location?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭tabbey

Matpuk4321 wrote: »
    What's the location?

I may be wrong, but I think the Red House is north of the crossroads, on the Ballyedmonduff road.
    The RIC barracks was south of the crossroads (Johnny Fox's), heading for the Devil's Elbow. This was where the policemen were forced to surrender.

That's it. Bang on

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,794 ✭✭✭Jesus.

Mike if you discover more about that incident report back here. Sounds like an interesting tale.

Will do.

Advertisement