Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your Electricity cost per month comparison

Options
  • 17-10-2016 10:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭

Last month we used 369kwh and the bill was €75 . This works out at 20c per unit .

Per unit - €0.1330
    Standing charge Urban - 33@ €.3653
    PSO Levy was €5
    VAT 13.5%

So the overall cost per unit was €0.20c

How does this compare to yours .

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Two monthly bill €99.60

• Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭ssmith6287

Standing Charge - €23.21
    503 units @ .1665 per unit - €83.75
    Discount for period - €13.40
    Public Service Levy - €9.92
    Sub before VAT - €103.48
    Vat of 13.5% - €13.96
    Total - €117.44

That's with Energia

• Registered Users Posts: 12,330 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

My electric bill is huge.

Average around €190 for 2 months. In fairness I have a lot of high usage things, like electric shower, tropical fish tank and electric car.

I really need to start addressing it though. Probably better off using the immersion for a few hours overnight and then using the standard shower. Start switching out bulbs for LED too.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Laura_A

Mine for a 3 bed apartment is €163 per month on level pay with Bord Gais - it has been €50 per week with pre pay power... Cannot figure out what is using so much! Only two of us living there, work full time. Have storage heating that isn't used (got plug in rads as they use less and heat the place quicker). Water pump, immersion on a timer so only on 3-4 hours per day... Can't understand it at all!

Is the level pay a set rate?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,458 ✭✭✭XsApollo

Mine is 50euro a month With bord gais level pay.
    3 bed semi, 2 kids 2 adults,

• Registered Users Posts: 68,902 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Laura_A wrote: »
    Mine for a 3 bed apartment is €163 per month on level pay with Bord Gais - it has been €50 per week with pre pay power... Cannot figure out what is using so much! Only two of us living there, work full time. Have storage heating that isn't used (got plug in rads as they use less and heat the place quicker). Water pump, immersion on a timer so only on 3-4 hours per day... Can't understand it at all!

Prepaypower charge a hefty standing charge, which will be a contributory factor to that difference.

Immersion for 3-4 hours a day is a very hefty amount of time; even if its thermostatically cutting in/out during that time. 6kW wouldn't be an uncommon rating; that's probably 12-15kW a day even assuming the tank is well insulated and it doesn't lose much heat.

My last bill was an estimate but was within maybe 50 units of reality - 635 units for 2 months, 81.67 + 19.33 standing + 10.02 PSO + 14.99 VAT. Three bed house, oil heating and gas hob, LED lit. Tumble dryer probably uses a third of it alone!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Moved to Accommodation & Property

dudara

ssmith6287 wrote: »
    Is the level pay a set rate?

Yes they monitor your first month and then average it and come up with a set rate and you pay that by DD once a month - you still get a two monthly bill so you can see if the rate is accurate.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

I'm in the UK on gas for heating, hot water and hob and electricity for everything else. I'm in a one bed apartment with my OH.

Last month:

Elec 137kWh @ 9.4p - £12.88
    Standing charge 30 days at 12.75p - £3.82

Gas 180.9kWh @ 2.645p - £4.78
    Standing charge 30 days @ 8p - £2.40

VAT 5% - £1.20

Total £25.08

My bills average out to £40/month over the year. My most expensive month this year was February and it cost £80.

• Advertisement

Yes they monitor your first month and then average it and come up with a set rate and you pay that by DD once a month - you still get a two monthly bill so you can see if the rate is accurate.
    Do they factor in storage heating, it seems very expensive if that's the price per month, maybe bi monthly for heating/electricity. I know in my old apartment it was 40€ per month set rate for elec so like that I bought oil heaters instead of using the gas

• Registered Users Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭aido79

At around €0.50 or so per hour using the immersion for 4 hours a day will cost you around €60+ per month alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

It really depends on the size of property, insulation (BER etc...), no. of people and lifestyle.
    It's very hard to compare properly until you give more details.

It's like asking how much to you spend on petrol, without tell what car you drive, how long you drive each day etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Water pump, immersion on a timer so only on 3-4 hours per day

3-4 hours seems like a lot to me. I'd run mine for an hour max, and not even every day. If I need some hot water, I boil a kettle instead.

Just pulled out my bill - 2 working adults, 2 bed terraced house

Usage 402 units €61.88
    Standing charge €22.14
    PSO levy €10.02
    VAT €12.03
    Total €101.12

So on average, that's 24.7c per unit

• Registered Users Posts: 24,615 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

whiskeyman wrote: »
    It really depends on the size of property, insulation (BER etc...), no. of people and lifestyle.
    It's very hard to compare properly until you give more details.

It's like asking how much to you spend on petrol, without tell what car you drive, how long you drive each day etc...

And it skews it for those who have electrical heating verus central heating.

One thing I will say is, if you don't do it already, look for the best rates for suppliers for new accounts every year.

And it skews it for those who have electrical heating verus central heating.

One thing I will say is, if you don't do it already, look for the best rates for suppliers for new accounts every year.

How do you check for this? all the comparison site give an average saving but what's that against?

Yeah looks like I might be way over using - it was on a timer when I moved in so I just left it as it was - bad idea!

Will change it and see how that affects usage.. Thanks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

How do you check for this? all the comparison site give an average saving but what's that against?

http://www.bonkers.ie/compare-gas-electricity-prices/

If you put your actual usage into the comparison calculator, it will show your potential saving against what you're currently paying.

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭macnug

Well you are heating your home with electricity so your bill is always going to be bigger, plus your probably paying a higher standing charge for night rate which you don't use.

It cost me about 35 a week for heat and electricity for a 3 bed semi. But that's is oil heating which is way cheaper than electricity atm.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,615 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

You go to the sites of the different suppliers and see what offers they have for new customers switching to them.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Ours is on average about 120pm
    We have gas heating and cooker,an electric shower which is used alot more then it should as our heating was not heating our water.
    2 Adults,4 children and I am always at home.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Last bill was pretty high, €281. Apartment recently switched to electric heating instead of gas. Used to have free hot water and now pay for it. This has increased things a lot!

I recently moved so can't really comment on the new place yet but the previous place was 4 bed house with 3 adults living there, electric shower and electric cooker but gas central heating.

Over my 3 years in the house the electricity bill was on average about 100 euro for two months, lowest was 85 euro and highest was about 115 euro in my time there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭The Mulk

If you have storage heating your probably on a dual tariff meter paying the following

The day/night meter unit rates with Electric Ireland are: 20.62 cent per unit (day), 10.19 cent per unit (night). VAT @13.5% included.

If you've stopped using night rate heating your paying full price tariff for your new panel rads.Plus you don't have a gas /oil bill.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

The cost used to be 20 cent per unit but we justchanged suppliers so it should go to about 16 or 17. Last bill was 149 EUR for 29 days. That includes water pump for the well for two houses.

Detached house, 4 bedrooms, Central heating, outside lights on timer during the night, 2 kids, 2 adults, one likes spending time in garage and using powe tools over the weekend. It could be worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

when you need to wash a few dishes etc, just boil kettle. Only put what you need in kettle for tea and coffee etc. I wouldnt imagine immersion would take more than an hour to totally heat the water, it may also have a sink setting, which would do for a shower or obviously washing dishes...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭TeaBagMania

This is for a 3 bed 2 bath home in the US
    909 KWh used = $84
    natural gas is used for water heating, clothes dryer, cooking stove, and forced air home heating.
    in the summer months the gas bill averages $20 per month for water heating, cloths dryer, and stove.
    would be interested in energy costs for a small one bedroom country house in Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

We were with ESB for years and changed to Airtricity with an 18 month contract .
    Cant see any difference as we still paying 20c a unit .

Looking at the posts above though we seem to be doing okay , with some paying up to 25c a unit overall.

When we joined Airtricity we only looked at one figure . We were paying 16c with ESB and we were offered 13c which we went for .

However when you look at overall cost of electricity , standing charge , PSO and VAT it seem to work out the same .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

2 adults.

Heavy users.

A big portion of this is our two computers that never turn off, and my two fishtanks that keep 300lt heated to 24c, all year round.

€100 pm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

We were with ESB for years and changed to Airtricity with an 18 month contract .
    Cant see any difference as we still paying 20c a unit .

Looking at the posts above though we seem to be doing okay , with some paying up to 25c a unit overall.

When we joined Airtricity we only looked at one figure . We were paying 16c with ESB and we were offered 13c which we went for .

However when you look at overall cost of electricity , standing charge , PSO and VAT it seem to work out the same .

It depends on your usage. We were on the similar plan with ESB and we switched to same plan with Airtricity. The difference for us is noticeable because our usage is higher so standing charges are smaller proportion per unit.

I don't know if you used Bonkers for comparison but they calculate your cost on basins of your annual use and suggest the best plan. I find them very handy for that sort of comparisons. There is no point comparing your cost per unit to that of others if your usage isn't the same. On the same plan cost of standing charges and levy will be about 2-3 cent lover per unit for us than for you. Plans with lower standing charges might be more suitable for your usage.

Advertisement