Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your Electricity cost per month comparison

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

I used my usage figures and put them into the bonkers comparison and wow. I knew bills were more expensive in Ireland but this was crazy.

I pay £480 per year for gas and electricity. The cheapest I could get in Ireland was €960!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,588 ✭✭✭enfant terrible

I used my usage figures and put them into the bonkers comparison and wow. I knew bills were more expensive in Ireland but this was crazy.

I pay £480 per year for gas and electricity. The cheapest I could get in Ireland was €960!

I guess its all relative.

What do you pay for council taxes?

I guess its all relative.

What do you pay for council taxes?

£900 a year. For that I don't pay any additional bin charges, water charges or property tax, which could run to several hundred in Ireland anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

meeeeh wrote: »
    It depends on your usage. We were on the similar plan with ESB and we switched to same plan with Airtricity. The difference for us is noticeable because our usage is higher so standing charges are smaller proportion per unit.

I don't know if you used Bonkers for comparison but they calculate your cost on basins of your annual use and suggest the best plan. I find them very handy for that sort of comparisons. There is no point comparing your cost per unit to that of others if your usage isn't the same. On the same plan cost of standing charges and levy will be about 2-3 cent lover per unit for us than for you. Plans with lower standing charges might be more suitable for your usage.

I used bonkers recently to switch to Airtricity. They were offering a 25% reduction in the unit rate but only available through bonkers.

Overall I'll save about 3-400 over the year which is a decent bit of money for very very little effort.

The 150 euro cashback offers might seems like a good deal on the surface but we use about 700kwh every 2 months (250 day, 350 night) so it was worth going for the unit rate reduction. It's going to be more now that it's getting colder too.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

Average €200x2 monthly for 4 bed house, does not include heating and no immersion. Lots of boiling the kettle though :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,902 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Expect those bills to rise (likely not to €960 though...) with the Sterling collapse and the power subsidies for Hinckley which will make our PSO subsidy (€80 a year currently, having just increased again) look tiny.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,034 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

2 working adults living in a 4 bed semi d. 1646 kWh over the last 8 months with Energia costing €387.22. That's €48.40 per month at 24c per unit. We have oil heating too

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭satguy

3 bed SD here ,, two adults, one teenager.. Are with Electric Ireland,, Gotta say, its high most bills, Don't now why..
    Maybe I need to move to a new supplier

hDimEUz.jpg

Read it and weep..

• Registered Users Posts: 13,439 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Four bed det house, 2A + 2C

2015 six bills, switched to EI in late 2014

4,138 units

Unit price = 16.59 before 15% discount, 14.1 cent after discount, both ex VAT

Total spent = 876.48, average 146 per bill, or 21.18 cent per unit.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,034 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

satguy wrote: »
    3 bed SD here ,, two adults, one teenager.. Are with Electric Ireland,, Gotta say, its high most bills, Don't now why..
    Maybe I need to move to a new supplier

hDimEUz.jpg

Read it and weep..

When was the last time you changed provider? If you don't change every year then you lose your discount

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,535 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Laura_A wrote: »
    Mine for a 3 bed apartment is €163 per month on level pay with Bord Gais - it has been €50 per week with pre pay power... Cannot figure out what is using so much! Only two of us living there, work full time. Have storage heating that isn't used (got plug in rads as they use less and heat the place quicker). Water pump, immersion on a timer so only on 3-4 hours per day... Can't understand it at all!
    What type lighting do you have ? What rating is your fridge and freezer?

Idbatterim wrote: »
    when you need to wash a few dishes etc, just boil kettle. Only put what you need in kettle for tea and coffee etc. I wouldnt imagine immersion would take more than an hour to totally heat the water, it may also have a sink setting, which would do for a shower or obviously washing dishes...

The dishwasher is the one white good that is more efficient than doing it by hand. It uses a minimal amount if water and only heats what it needs and it heats it to the correct temperature

• Registered Users Posts: 2,822 ✭✭✭air

About €32 a month on average for a 4 bed semi d with 2 adults.

Have a 4kW solar PV installed and when the annual microgeneration rebate for that is factored in the monthly cost is around €15.
    I will increase the size of the PV system shortly which should bring the average cost to about €1.50 a month.

Gas fired CH and a separate solar thermal system for hot water.

air wrote: »
    About €32 a month on average for a 4 bed semi d with 2 adults.

Have a 4kW solar PV installed and when the annual microgeneration rebate for that is factored in the monthly cost is around €15.
    I will increase the size of the PV system shortly which should bring the average cost to about €1.50 a month.

Gas fired CH and a separate solar thermal system for hot water.

How much did you spend on the PV system you need to include that cost

ted1 wrote: »
    How much did you spend on the PV system you need to include that cost
    I don't have to include it because it is fully paid for & has no associated monthly costs associated with it.
    Total costs will be around €4300 for 6.75kW. May go in roof for the new ones which will drive this up towards €5k. Not factoring in my time for installation.
    Reasonable ROI given savings made are tax free & expected lifetime of the system is over 20 years, inverters are cheap to replace if required in the interim.

I don't have to include it because it is fully paid for & has no associated monthly costs associated with it.
    Total costs will be around €4300 for 6.75kW. May go in roof for the new ones which will drive this up towards €5k. Not factoring in my time for installation.
    Reasonable ROI given savings made are tax free & expected lifetime of the system is over 20 years, inverters are cheap to replace if required in the interim.

You can't not include it!!! That's like me giving electric Ireland 4,300euro upfront and saying that my bills are zero.

How long have you had the system ?

L1011 wrote: »
    Expect those bills to rise (likely not to €960 though...) with the Sterling collapse and the power subsidies for Hinckley which will make our PSO subsidy (€80 a year currently, having just increased again) look tiny.

I'm locked in till next August :)

I do take your point though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 942 ✭✭✭Ghekko

€192 for 2 months. Must look into ways of reducing that!

2 years.
    I'm not including it because it's a sunk cost at this stage & doesn't affect my cash flow. Obviously the rate of return is a factor which is why I gave the costs.
    If you gave me 4300 up front it would have paid my bills for less than 9 years assuming no price increases. The PV system should do it for 20 years or more. The ROI will improve as energy costs increase and with increasing self consumption on my part.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

whoah, electricity is cheap in Ireland. I pay 28c per unit off peak and 32c the rest of the day.

• Advertisement

Germany has shocking prices for consumers but industrial customers pay very little I believe, doesn't seem too equitable!
    32c is eye watering though.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

My parents live in NI and I like in the south.
    The cost of day to day living is way higher down here.
    The council tax is high but they get things in return for it and it is paid to fund local services so you pay it whether you are renting or own.
    Here it is another tax on owners .

2 years.
    I'm not including it because it's a sunk cost at this stage & doesn't affect my cash flow. Obviously the rate of return is a factor which is why I gave the costs.
    If you gave me 4300 up front it would have paid my bills for less than 9 years assuming no price increases. The PV system should do it for 20 years or more. The ROI will improve as energy costs increase and with increasing self consumption on my part.

But you are also paying 32 a month. So after 9 years you'll have paid 3456+4300+what ever you lost out on by paying upfront.
    E.g 4300 could have translated into about 8,600 into a pension.
    Or in a 10 year bond that would be worth more than 4300.
    Don't get me wrong I'm all for renewables but you are fooling yourself if you think that your bill is only 32 euro a month.

My bill isn't only 32 euro a month, it's 15 euro a month at present on average.
    I pay out about 32 euro a month on average but get about 200 euro back from EI once a year, which means my overall cost is about €15 a month.

Now I currently have a lot of panels on site that are not yet installed - 11 x 250W ones.
    Once they are installed, my annual cash back from EI will increase to in or around 340 a year, so my monthly cost will be in or around zero on average. So it's not 3456+4300+opportunity cost, it's 4300 + opportunity cost.
    My bill prior to the installation was over 500 a year, so the return for me is about 11.6% per annum tax free at very low risk.

4300 would not be worth 8600 in a pension, you only get tax relief at a maximum of 40%, you still pay PRSI and USC on contributions.
    Furthermore, you pay the tax again on the way out and there is a higher risk on the investment than on PV in my opinion.
    It also risks the government taking a portion of it away whenever they feel the need.
    It also assumes that one pays a lot of tax at the higher rate and that one doesn't have the disposable income out of remaining net salary to invest anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭dennyk

After almost a year of bimonthly bills and estimated meter readings, my electric bill has finally settled down to just under €60 a month; includes a €10 standing charge, €5 PSO levy, and €8 VAT, and about €35 in usage per month. Unit price is €0.153 per kWh. I live alone in a large two-bedroom apartment, only use gas for heat and hot water, and have a PC that's on all day.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

My bill isn't only 32 euro a month, it's 15 euro a month at present on average.
    I pay out about 32 euro a month on average but get about 200 euro back from EI once a year, which means my overall cost is about €15 a month.

Now I currently have a lot of panels on site that are not yet installed - 11 x 250W ones.
    Once they are installed, my annual cash back from EI will increase to in or around 340 a year, so my monthly cost will be in or around zero on average. So it's not 3456+4300+opportunity cost, it's 4300 + opportunity cost.
    My bill prior to the installation was over 500 a year, so the return for me is about 11.6% per annum tax free at very low risk.

4300 would not be worth 8600 in a pension, you only get tax relief at a maximum of 40%, you still pay PRSI and USC on contributions.
    Furthermore, you pay the tax again on the way out and there is a higher risk on the investment than on PV in my opinion.
    It also risks the government taking a portion of it away whenever they feel the need.
    It also assumes that one pays a lot of tax at the higher rate and that one doesn't have the disposable income out of remaining net salary to invest anyway.
    What are you living in, a shoebox?

Sam Kade wrote: »
    What are you living in, a shoebox?
    See post #45

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

At home ours is about €20 a week with prepay power.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

Electric is about €100 per month with gas heating being an average of €20 per month.

3 bed semi. Attic room too. 2 adults, 5 kids inc 1 teen.

Most bulbs in house are LED. Have 100gal tropical fish tank and a pc running most of the day. Tumble dryer used maybe an hour per week (A rated). Dish washer used once or twice daily (A rated). Washing machine used maybe 3 times daily (A rated) and we use gas cooker. Kettle not used much either. Average one boil per day. Pond using pump and filter 24/7.

Use furnace in living room during the cold periods (no back boiler), as CH is not needed/used much unless it's really cold. An hour per day during colder weather (jan/feb). House well insulated.

Considering PV system.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,687 ✭✭✭Danger781

Just resurrecting this thread as I've just looked at my first bill

€57.56 in total for 16 days of usage?? I'm normally only home for a few hours a day so this seems outrageous to me? :confused:

€38.28 for Electricity
    €7.42 standing charge
    €5.01 levy
    + €6.85 in VAT

I can't figure out how the hell my bill is so high! I live alone in a small 2 bed flat.. I make sure to turn off all lights and electrics in any room I'm not in.. Oil heating..

Edit: 253 units x 0.1513

Advertisement