Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your Electricity cost per month comparison

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,822 ✭✭✭air

Danger781 wrote: »
    Just resurrecting this thread as I've just looked at my first bill

€57.56 in total for 16 days of usage?? I'm normally only home for a few hours a day so this seems outrageous to me? :confused:

€38.28 for Electricity
    €7.42 standing charge
    €5.01 levy
    + €6.85 in VAT

I can't figure out how the hell my bill is so high! I live alone in a small 2 bed flat.. I make sure to turn off all lights and electrics in any room I'm not in.. Oil heating..

Edit: 253 units x 0.1513
    Estimated or actual usage (both readings)?
    You might be catching up from previous under billing.
    Usage is very high if not - 15 units a day.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,687 ✭✭✭Danger781

air wrote: »
    Estimated or actual usage (both readings)?
    You might be catching up from previous under billing.
    Usage is very high if not - 15 units a day.

The bill says estimated and I should submit a meter reading.. I better ask my landlord to check my meter.. Considering I'm normally only home a few hours every day it isn't possible to consume that many units.. Looking at the electric Ireland estimation of 1 unit I reckon I'm only using a fraction of that.. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭DoozerT6

Storage heating.

Enough said :(

Considering buying a decent stand-alone heater (or two) that I can set to come and off at times to suit me. Any recommendations for heaters for a decent-sized kitchen/living area that currently has two storage heaters that I haven't turned on yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

Average about 70 every two months.

No immersion and gas central heating for water. Stove in sitting room heats pretty much most of the house without a back boiler when running.

Considering solar panels

• Registered Users Posts: 5,687 ✭✭✭Danger781

Danger781 wrote: »
    The bill says estimated and I should submit a meter reading.. I better ask my landlord to check my meter.. Considering I'm normally only home a few hours every day it isn't possible to consume that many units.. Looking at the electric Ireland estimation of 1 unit I reckon I'm only using a fraction of that.. :confused:

Christ I'm lucky I checked it. The estimated usage on the 4th of October was 100 higher than the actual meter read today. Phew, that's a decent relief.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

£900 a year. For that I don't pay any additional bin charges, water charges or property tax, which could run to several hundred in Ireland anyway.

Definitely. My bins & property tax is almost as high as your £900

air wrote:
    My bill isn't only 32 euro a month, it's 15 euro a month at present on average. I pay out about 32 euro a month on average but get about 200 euro back from EI once a year, which means my overall cost is about €15 a month.

air wrote:
    Now I currently have a lot of panels on site that are not yet installed - 11 x 250W ones. Once they are installed, my annual cash back from EI will increase to in or around 340 a year, so my monthly cost will be in or around zero on average. So it's not 3456+4300+opportunity cost, it's 4300 + opportunity cost. My bill prior to the installation was over 500 a year, so the return for me is about 11.6% per annum tax free at very low risk.

Curious as to how your bill could end up being zero.
    Looking at PV myself but was told that I can't sell back to the grid in Ireland. It's dark for most of the time you are in your house at this time of year so any electricity used at night has to be paid for?
    Are you actually selling back to the grid? Do you have storage batteries?
    Genuinely interested as it would help make up my mind on the PV system

• Registered Users Posts: 2,822 ✭✭✭air

No problem Sleeper.
    1. I got in before the exiting micro generation scheme, so I get paid for export
    2. My house is very energy efficient, I only consume about 5kWh per day on average (so about 1800 units a year)
    3. My system when finished will be very large by any standards, 27 panels on the front and rear of my house as well as on the garden shed.
    This will produce about 6000 kWh per year, which is worth about €540 per year (if it was all exported) , which is about what my bill was before I started.

So basically I'm producing far more energy than I consume, the export payments pay for the energy I import from the grid as well as the standing charges, PSO levy etc.

air wrote:
    No problem Sleeper. 1. I got in before the exiting micro generation scheme, so I get paid for export 2. My house is very energy efficient, I only consume about 5kWh per day on average (so about 1800 units a year) 3. My system when finished will be very large by any standards, 27 panels on the front and rear of my house as well as on the garden shed. This will produce about 6000 kWh per year, which is worth about €540 per year (if it was all exported) , which is about what my bill was before I started.

Thanks. That's a big help. Looks like the government needs to step up to the mark and insist on buy back. Can't understand why they haven't so far

Advertisement