Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Apartment smells of cigarette smoke

Options
  • 17-10-2016 11:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,881 ✭✭✭✭

Hi folks, mods feel free to move this if there's somewhere more appropriate for it.

We moved into an apartment last week and only noticed after moving in that it had a strong smell of smoke. The management company have been good about trying to get rid of it to be fair but it's still there. They used an ozone machine and it helped a little, and today they assisted this after-fire spray into the air-conditioning system to clear that out. It made the place smell ok while it's running but I can still smell it. We moved our own furniture in so it's not that which is the problem. The carpets are an obvious culprit but they don't seem to smell when you whiff then, the smell is just lingering in general, especially near the front door, which is presumably where the last occupant did most of their smoking.

I've read about carbon air filters, anyone know if they work? Or any other advice? Happy to try anything since this is going to be on the management company, not our expense!

Any help appreciated of course

AGH autocorrect ruined the title! Should just be smells of cigarette smoke obviously...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭RandomAccess

Have a read of what car valeters and detailers do in similar cases. They use ozone and some carpet cleaners. Also the problem can sometimes be trapped ash near the dash.

It just might give you some ideas.
    I'd hate to be stuck in that situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭BeardyFunzo

I remember trying to cover the smell of smoke in my house with vinegar when i was a teenager. It kinda worked at the time, but I'm not sure if it'll help you out at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,260 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

The smell is the tar from smoke. Tar has probably stuck to the walls and carpets. You can paint over walls and ceiling and get the carpet washed. After that you need to wash all hard surfaces with the intention of removing any tar.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,682 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Are you sure the smell is not coming from the ventilation system as a result of smoking in other apartments within the block or from non sealed walls with your neighbours?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,881 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Are you sure the smell is not coming from the ventilation system as a result of smoking in other apartments within the block or from non sealed walls with your neighbours?

Not sure of anything to be honest but that seems unlikely because it is fairly localised to one room, which doesn't have walls adjacent to any other apartment.

Thanks folks for all the advice. Hoping to get rid of it by maybe getting the carpets shampooed but preferably without having to get the walls repainted. Would be especially annoying if that didn't end up working! It's definitely strongest at the front door.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

I was watching an old episode of location location location the other day, and a house a couple were viewing had an awful smell of smoke. Kirsty allsop actually told the couple that she had previously bought a property with an awful smell, and she had to have it plastered to get rid of the smell!

Advertisement