Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Things in football you got wrong...

• 17-10-2016 11:35pm

...any opinions you look back on and think...called that one wrong?

Have to say when Southampton sacked Adkins after successive promotions and replaced him with Pochettino I thought it was an awful decision.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Hundreds

Back in 2002(ish) I wanted Giggs out of United. Worked out well that one.

Wanted Martin O Neill out after Scotland home game last year and thought we had no chance for Euros after it.

Just 2 of top of my head. Plenty of more I'm sure

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,161 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Wanted Wenger to sell Özil and buy back Fabregas when he left Barca.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Thought every year was "our year" for the last 26 years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,661 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

As a kid I was convinced Ireland would win the World Cup in 94.

Aside from that, I've been completely spot on with every prediction.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,695 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

There was a time when I thought Owen Coyle was a manager with a big future.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭justshane

Anybody remember Mauro Boselli? I was convinced he was going to be the best thing since sliced bread. Worse again I told anyone that one listen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,370 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

5/6 years ago I fully expected Ganso to have a much better career in Europe than Neymar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,427 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

I though yesterday was going to be just another October Monday

But I was wrong, it was "Red Monday"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

justshane wrote: »
    Anybody remember Mauro Boselli? I was convinced he was going to be the best thing since sliced bread. Worse again I told anyone that one listen.

Same. Stuck him in my FF team and all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

I thought Liverpool were going to rollover and let Blackburn beat them on last day of the season in 1995 so that they could pip United for the league. In fairness, they beat them and showed everybody what a healthy, respectful rivalry should be.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

I thought Cherno Samba would turn out to be an all time great player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Chancer3001

Thought alfonso alves was gonna be a success.

Shevchenko too.

Told a girl there was absolutely no way shevchenko was gonna miss his penalty against luverpool in that famous shootout.

Used to think scholes was ****e and only scored goals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

I though Moyes was going to do well at Sunderland.Turns out it could be the worst managerial appointment in the history of the game.

Same. Stuck him in my FF team and all.

Yes, that was actually my main bad call!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

Conor74 wrote: »
    Have to say when Southampton sacked Adkins after successive promotions and replaced him with Pochettino I thought it was an awful decision.
    You'd be one of many. I didn't think it was right to sack him but you can't argue with the end result, just look at where both parties have ended up.

Similarly, as a Chelsea fan, I've lost track of how many times I thought we might return to some kind of managerial stability. :(

Had big hopes for Mateja Kezman when Chelsea signed him. Similarly for Jackson Martinez when he went to Atleti.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,672 ✭✭✭elefant

I thought Mata and Silva, as good as they obviously were, would struggle in the premiership after leaving Valencia, and that Soldado would prove to be a success.

Shows how hard it can be to predict how those moves between leagues go.

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭polarbearhead

championship manager fan ??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

I thought Paul Jewell would have had a huge future once upon a time... Ditto Owen Coyle.

I thought Mike Ashley would push Newcastle to Europe when he came in...

I like many others thought that Andy Reid was the player that Ireland needed to really push on in qualifying groups... What were we on lads... Seriously?!?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭A_Sober_Paddy

justshane wrote: »

Is that you Roberto

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭Flint Fredstone

I thought Cassano would be the greatest player on the planet when I first seen him at Roma.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭brianregan09

I thought Sam Allardyce would finally sort out England ...Turned out great

• Registered Users Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭764dak

That_Guy wrote: »
    I thought Paul Jewell would have had a huge future once upon a time... Ditto Owen Coyle.

I thought Mike Ashley would push Newcastle to Europe when he came in...

I like many others thought that Andy Reid was the player that Ireland needed to really push on in qualifying groups... What were we on lads... Seriously?!?
    Newcastle went to Europe under Ashley.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Hes no Freddie Adu

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 147 ✭✭actua11

That_Guy wrote: »
    I thought Paul Jewell would have had a huge future once upon a time...

I can't remember exactly when (maybe around Staunton's appointment?) but wasn't Jewell on short odds for the Ireland job? Or maybe that was just Dunphy raving about him at the time?

As before, I was absolutely sold on Ganso being the 'brains' behind Neymar as a pairing and that Neymar would struggle on his own without him.

After the 'golden era' side of '04 I thought Portugal had blown their best chance of winning a tournament and couldn't see them getting near again, certainly for a few generations/decades.

About a decade ago, for a couple of years Lyon were definitely going to win the Champions League

The one player who I always put in my fantasy side was Jozy Altidore, nailed on 15-20 league goals a season, just never happened... (...yet! Still plenty of time for that to happen!). There was just a period of players banging in 30+ goals in Holland, and sometimes getting gems or sometimes it just not translating across e.g Altidore/Alfonso Alves/Kezman...

That and I was sure Matt Taylor would be a top-6 club player with maybe a couple of England caps, just never made it to that level...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Was sure Morientes would be great for Liverpool. Ditto Rivaldo at Milan.
    Genuinely thought Pato would be the best player in Europe too, sad looking at the glimpses of greatness he had vs Napoli, Real & to a lesser extent Barca.

I thought Cassano would be the greatest player on the planet when I first seen him at Roma.

In fairness to you, he was unbelievable and had so much potential but didn't have the attitude to go with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

Hes no Freddie Adu

and he's no mido

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

My thoughts of Dundalk's Europa League group draw:
    GLaDOS wrote: »
    Really? Be doing incredibly well to pick up 4 points imo.

Zenit and AZ should be far too good for them tbh. Tel Aviv are no mugs either.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,787 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

When Benitez took over at Liverpool, I thought it be a good idea to cash in on Steven Gerrard.

I just thought that Gerrard was too big an ego and it be a good time to sell the player.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭WinnyThePoo

Thought zigic would be an unstoppable goal machine.

Thought Diego would have much better career than he has.

Thought Kevin Doyle would play in a top 8 pl club and bang in 15+ goals a season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,507 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

When they both emerged at roughly the same time, I genuinely thought Robinho was going to better than Messi.

Oh how wrong was I?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭Burial.

[Insert Brazilian player with cool sounding mono name] would become a superstar. There have been dozens upon dozens in the past decade. Adriano takes the cake for me. Genuinely thought he'd be up there with Ronaldo and Ronaldinho from a legacy POV. Although at one point probably the best striker in the world oh how it was short lived. I idolised him when I was younger, bought the gold Nikes and wore double wrist tape and everything. Completely pissed away his career. Shame as he was one of the most perfect forwards I've ever seen on paper.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

When Rooney got sent off in the 06 world cup with help from Ronaldo, I thought if there was a choice to be made, United should keep Rooney and get rid of Ronaldo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

I never though Steve Bruce would be capable of solving a murder in the process of clearing his own name. How wrong I was

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Howard the Duck

My fantasy football team every week

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭JB81

Ryan Babel!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

On the Liverpool - Blackburn game, I'm not so sure, Redknapp looked gutted his free kick went in.

+1 on Boselli for me, wasn't he banging them in during pre season and all?

I also thought Drogba would flop when he joined Chelsea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭cms88

That Joe Lapira would be Irelands all time top scorer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,795 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Back in 1991, I thought it was the right time for Dalglish to move on and that Souness would be the perfect replacement.
    Thought that El Hadji Diouf just needed more time, same goes for Ryan Babel to a lesser extent.
    Genuinely thought that we could get the best out of Balotelli and that we were the perfect club for him to get his career back in track.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,427 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

I thought that AFC Wimbledon would get stuck for years in some league between were they started and League 2, based on the notion that the higher you go the harder it is to progress.

But I was wrong, thus far they have made it to the third tier.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 717 ✭✭✭Phoenix Wright

I thought Harry Kane wouldn't make it at at Spurs because he kept going out on loan and didn't really do a whole lot.

Advertisement