Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Connect 2007 Samsung HDD to 2016 Motherboard

• 18-10-2016 12:10am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 955 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Does anyone know how to Connect 2007 Samsung HDD to 2016 Motherboard?

I dismantled my II Freecom 400GB external HDD because the power is no longer working. I took out a Samsung HD400LD HDD wich seems to have a PATA connector.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822152043

Can I connect a PATA cable to my MSI Z170A Pro MB?

Or better yet, what do I need to do, to connect the Samsung HD400LD to my MSI Z170A Pro MB?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Get a cheap USB -IDE interface and power supply, rip the contents off them and then bin them (wipe the data if necessary).

At that vintage its not a great idea to go integrating them into your system. They're slow, louder than they need to be and most importantly much more likely to fail.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Poncke

ED E wrote: »
    Get a cheap USB -IDE interface and power supply, rip the contents off them and then bin them (wipe the data if necessary).

At that vintage its not a great idea to go integrating them into your system. They're slow, louder than they need to be and most importantly much more likely to fail.

You assumed correctly I need to get data of the drive. I dont mind how I do it and if I need to spend some $$ on it. But I am not sure if I understand your explanation. I will google what you said and come back if I cant make any sense out of it ;)

So I need this and this and that should work just to copy the data?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,254 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Yep, thats the one. You can usually find somebody selling the whole thing as one.

I bought this one but its since doubled in price so couldnt recommend it.
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B001A5SK56/

• Advertisement

Cheers. I guess this one would work as well then? Do I need a cable for between the box and the HDD?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

The image shows a usb to usb cable that comes in the box.
    use that Connect The power cable to the unit ,connect the drive ,turn it on,give it 2 minutes to spin up.then plug the usb cable into the pc,
    copy the data over into a folder .The drive should be on a clean
    dry flat surface .

Cool. Ordered it

Right, everything connected, the connector is talking to the PC but the drive wont spin, so its probably fried.

Is it possible to retrieve data from a fried drive? Considering its only the CB that fried, the data is probably still on the drive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

IF you get an identical drive swap in a new pcb, with the dead one,
    eg sony drive lgt570g 500gig ,
    what drive is it ,eg samsung 80gig model no lgt540
    Buy identical drive on ebay or amazon .or adverts.ie for sale hardware
    computers,drives

Switch off pc switch off drive ,
    try it again can you feel the heads spin up,
    place a finger on the top middle of the drive .
    plug drive into pc,do you get icon drive detected in system tray.OR TRY DRIVE freeze trick.
    put drive in sealed plastic ziplock bag.
    leave in freezer for 4 hours ,
    plug into pc .
    you could connect drive to a pc,with ide cable, data,power off pc dvd drive .

https://www.google.ie/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=swap%20in%20hd%20pcb
    http://www.hdd-parts.com/take-photos.html

it needs to use the same bios firmware version as the old drive.

PCB board firmware(BIOS) transfer

What is the hard drive PCB board firmware( BIOS) ?

One PCB board includes two parts:

1. Hardware (components)

2. PCB board BIOS (data in the chip)

Why do we have to transfer the PCB board BIOS from the old board to the new board?

The PCB board BIOS includes hard drive’s UNIQUE configuration data.

The hard drive needs this UNIQUE configuration data to work.

So, we have to transfer this “UNIQUE configuration data” from the original (bad) board to the donor board, then the donor board can work on the old hard drive.

That is why swapping the PCB board without "PCB board firmware (BIOS) transfer" would not work for the most hard drives.

Is it the BIOS on the disk of the hard drive?

No, the PCB board BIOS is on the PCB board, not on the disks of the hard drive.

Hard drive PCB board firmware (BIOS) transfer

The hard drive PCB board BIOS is either in one or two independent SMD memory chip on the board or integrated into the PCB board Main IC (normally the biggest square chip on the board).

Because the hard drive PCB board is damaged, we cannot work from the port of the PCB board. So we have to work on the chip directly.

If the PCB board firmware (BIOS) is in the independent chip, we can swap the memory chip to transfer the board BIOS.

If the PCB board BIOS is integrated into the Main IC, we have to swap the Main IC.

not a simple job .

• Advertisement
Advertisement