Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Planning retention

• 18-10-2016 12:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Anyone any experience of getting retention for a project?
    I've built a garage behind the house which is over the allowed specs exempt from planning permission. Neighbour said he was OK with it until the roof went on and now he's changed his mind because it's blocking his view (of my kid's trampoline! ) . Threatening all sorts. Considering applying for retention but don't know if I'll be bringing more woes on myself. If anyone found themselves in a similar position I'd appreciate advice. Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Strutterd wrote: »
    Considering applying for retention but don't know if I'll be bringing more woes on myself.

What options have you? Remove the shed...or...apply for retention. That's pretty much the options.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,615 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

DOCARCH wrote: »
    What options have you? Remove the shed...or...apply for retention. That's pretty much the options.

3. Downsize to an exempt size.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Mellor wrote: »
    3. Downsize to an exempt size.

Very true! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Strutterd

DOCARCH wrote: »

I know the options. They're not great. I made the naive move of trusting the fella across the fence. I'm asking if anyone has got retention in similar circumstances, especially if they got it despite their neighbours objections?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,615 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I know the options. They're not great. I made the naive move of trusting the fella across the fence.
    You built without planning permission, That was the naive move imo. Regardless of whether or not the neighbour has an issue it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

I know the options. They're not great. I made the naive move of trusting the fella across the fence. I'm asking if anyone has got retention in similar circumstances, especially if they got it despite their neighbours objections?

Yes, many times.
    The planners will take the Application on its own merit and compare the garage size to the area of garden space remaining etc

Objections may come in, but the have to hold weight. Right to light or a view is generally not a vaild objection.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 808 ✭✭✭Angry bird

What is the specs of the garage and rear garden, i.e. garage height and floor area, proximity to boundary fence, pitched roof, lean to or flat, size of back garden, distance from neighbouring dwelling etc? Planning applications for retention of garages are common, refusal reasons usually relate to excessive size/height, undue impact on neighbouring amenity, too small rear garden left, building on common boundary/overhang from roof without neighbours written permission.

Advertisement