Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xbox one or xbox one s??

Options
  • 18-10-2016 8:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭

Hi,

I want to surprise my husband with an xbox one for christmas. Just hoping for some advice. Is it worth the extra €50 to get the xbox one s? We dont have a 4k tv and no plans to get one, and this appears to be the biggest incentive. Really appreciate any help, really dont want to ruin the surprise by asking my other half.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,116 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

mushu wrote: »
    Hi,

I want to surprise my husband with an xbox one for christmas. Just hoping for some advice. Is it worth the extra €50 to get the xbox one s? We dont have a 4k tv and no plans to get one, and this appears to be the biggest incentive. Really appreciate any help, really dont want to ruin the surprise by asking my other half.

Thanks

Get the One S. It's not just the 4K drive but it is also smaller, lighter and more energy efficient.

In the future you might pick up a 4K TV so the One S will be nice to have then for 4K content.

I'd also have a look at EA Access for €25 per year. You get access to loads of games and discounts off newly released EA games.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭mushu

Thanks! Is it worth waiting for deals closer to christmas or would i run the risk of not getting one? Argos have a 1tb s with gears of war for €350, is that good? Sorry I'm a bit hopeless when it comes to consoles, he's wanted the xbox one since it was released but we couldnt afford it so i really dont want to mess it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭The Diddakoi

Smyths have an offer on a bundle at the moment:

Xbox One S 1TB FIFA 17 Console bundle with Extra Controller and Minecraft for €379.99! Add Console, Choice of Controller and Minecraft to your basket to complete deal. (Note: FIFA 17 is a digital download)

http://www.smythstoys.com/ie/en-ie/page/o/xboxonedealnine/

Depends on what games he likes

Thanks! Is it worth waiting for deals closer to christmas or would i run the risk of not getting one? Argos have a 1tb s with gears of war for €370, is that good? Sorry I'm a bit hopeless when it comes to consoles, he's wanted the xbox one since it was released but we couldnt afford it so i really dont want to mess it up.

Pop over to the Xbox Bargain Alert Thread. There was a few console deals posted there last week.

Stock won't be an issue this Christmas though so no need to rush.

You can add Forza Horizon 3 to that Gears Of War 1TB Bundle for €25, so €375.

Or there is a 500GB Fifa 17 with Gears of War for €325.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 gar318

Thanks! Is it worth waiting for deals closer to christmas or would i run the risk of not getting one? Argos have a 1tb s with gears of war for €350, is that good? Sorry I'm a bit hopeless when it comes to consoles, he's wanted the xbox one since it was released but we couldnt afford it so i really dont want to mess it up.

Hold out for black Friday/cyber Monday if you can the best deals will be had around that week and I'd definitely push for the one s if possible

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,493 ✭✭✭Masala

gar318 wrote: »
    Hold out for black Friday/cyber Monday if you can the best deals will be had around that week and I'd definitely push for the one s if possible

How do we hear about these Black Fridays..... Do we sign up somewhere???

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭Faker74

Masala wrote: »
    How do we hear about these Black Fridays..... Do we sign up somewhere???

Black Friday is an American 'tradition' that has spread over here. Basically the Friday after thanksgiving most stores in the US have big sales.

This year it's Friday November 25th.

Most online retailers do similar offers, Amazon tend to have specials all that week.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Faker74 wrote: »
    Black Friday is an American 'tradition' that has spread over here. Basically the Friday after thanksgiving most stores in the US have big sales.

This year it's Friday November 25th.

Most online retailers do similar offers, Amazon tend to have specials all that week.

Good job we're not in America you would be lucky to not get shanked over a Xbox One another customer grabs at the same time you do.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

Good job we're not in America you would be lucky to not get shanked over a Xbox One another customer grabs at the same time you do.

That's why you buy it online. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭SuperS54

Dragging this up and looking for opinions, hopefully someone has experience of both consoles.

MS seem to be selling off the last of the XBox One stock here at the moment, my local shop has 500Gb XBOX one Gears of War 4 bundles with an additional full disc copy of Forza 6 thrown in for the equivalent of 177 Euro. They also have a special edition white Quantum Break/Alan Wake with the same deal.

The XBOX One S 1Tb Battlefield 1 bundle is still being sold here at RRP of 325 Euro equivalent.

I don't have a 4K TV, already have a blueray player, am not too concerned about the power brick or console size but do want to use the console vertically.

Is the XBOX One S worth twice the XBOX One cost? Is there a noticeable performance difference between it and the non S? Other than CPU overclock and size/power brick, the only other difference seems to be the controllers are upgraded (?) and have bluetooth. With the scorpio potentially being released at year end I imagine the One S price will also plummet. Decisions Decision! Any one with experience of both consoles?

• Advertisement

SuperS54 wrote: »
    Dragging this up and looking for opinions, hopefully someone has experience of both consoles.

MS seem to be selling off the last of the XBox One stock here at the moment, my local shop has 500Gb XBOX one Gears of War 4 bundles with an additional full disc copy of Forza 6 thrown in for the equivalent of 177 Euro. They also have a special edition white Quantum Break/Alan Wake with the same deal.

The XBOX One S 1Tb Battlefield 1 bundle is still being sold here at RRP of 325 Euro equivalent.

I don't have a 4K TV, already have a blueray player, am not too concerned about the power brick or console size but do want to use the console vertically.

Is the XBOX One S worth twice the XBOX One cost? Is there a noticeable performance difference between it and the non S? Other than CPU overclock and size/power brick, the only other difference seems to be the controllers are upgraded (?) and have bluetooth. With the scorpio potentially being released at year end I imagine the One S price will also plummet. Decisions Decision! Any one with experience of both consoles?

Where are you? Argos in Ireland have 500GB One S, 3 Games and an additional Controller for €270.

Tesco had a similar deal for £199 in the UK.

emmetkenny wrote: »
    Where are you? Argos in Ireland have 500GB One S, 3 Games and an additional Controller for ?270.

Tesco had a similar deal for ?199 in the UK.

Wow, nice deals. I'm in Taiwan and don't have a trip home planned for the near future. Have a colleague coming over from Germany, might check if he has extra luggage space if those are typical prices in Europe!

Wow, nice deals. I'm in Taiwan and don't have a trip home planned for the near future. Have a colleague coming over from Germany, might check if he has extra luggage space if those are typical prices in Europe!

Yea not sure of any deals over there :D

Hopefully you find something suitable. I'd go for the One S over the One even if you don't have the 4K TV. It's just a better machine and in a tidier box.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Well it will have to be a S model as the non S can only be used horizontally​.

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭erkifino

Well it will have to be a S model as the non S can only be used horizontally​.

Really? Uh oh!

erkifino wrote: »
    Really? Uh oh!

No that's not correct. The original One can't be used standing up if your using disks. If your games are digital there's no problem as far I'm aware.

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭erkifino

No that's not correct. The original One can't be used standing up if your using disks. If your games are digital there's no problem as far I'm aware.

All digital. So all good.

Good to know though. Cheers.

Hopefully you find something suitable. I'd go for the One S over the One even if you don't have the 4K TV. It's just a better machine and in a tidier box.
    Yeah, you're right, did some digging around and found a deal online for around 250 Euro for the 1Tb S halo 2 bundle, should be delivered Monday. Now to spend some more on the Battlefield 1 Deals With Gold! Thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭Grahamer666

The only problem with putting the OG Xbox One up on it's side is that you will be blocking some ventilation so it may run hotter than if you lie it on it's base.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 642 ✭✭✭qrx

The only problem with putting the OG Xbox One up on it's side is that you will be blocking some ventilation so it may run hotter than if you lie it on it's base.

Which then makes the fan work harder and noisier. I found this out by putting cases on the top. Thing took off like a jet engine. And boxes were near melting. Personally I would not block any of the vents. You'll probably get away with it without any damage but I wouldn't do even just for the fan noise alone.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭Grahamer666

qrx wrote: »
    Which then makes the fan work harder and noisier. I found this out by putting cases on the top. Thing took off like a jet engine. And boxes were near melting. Personally I would not block any of the vents. You'll probably get away with it without any damage but I wouldn't do even just for the fan noise alone.

Yup. I bought a stand for my One S and have it on it's side. Works great and is whisper quiet.

Yeah, you're right, did some digging around and found a deal online for around 250 Euro for the 1Tb S halo 2 bundle, should be delivered Monday. Now to spend some more on the Battlefield 1 Deals With Gold! Thanks!

Waheyyyyyy, delivered early!

20170528_170120.jpg
    Bit disappointed it didn't come with the vertical stand, thought the 1 and 2 Tb's all had it included. Didn't even get a chance to plug it in yet, did get to purchase Battlefield 1 Ultimate and Titanfall 2 deluxe though. Between them, the inevitable system updates and the included Halo Wars ultimate, plus all my games with gold my ADSL is going to get hammered tonight! I see investments in the stand plus an external hard drive in the very near future....

Waheyyyyyy, delivered early!

20170528_170120.jpg
    Bit disappointed it didn't come with the vertical stand, thought the 1 and 2 Tb's all had it included. Didn't even get a chance to plug it in yet, did get to purchase Battlefield 1 Ultimate and Titanfall 2 deluxe though. Between them, the inevitable system updates and the included Halo Wars ultimate, plus all my games with gold my ADSL is going to get hammered tonight! I see investments in the stand plus an external hard drive in the very near future....

The stand only came with the 2TB One S at launch as far as I'm aware.

The stand only came with the 2TB One S at launch as far as I'm aware.

Oh, OK, was a lot of conflicting information on the web on it. Ordered a third party one and should receive tomorrow, MS one is a bit over the top on price for what it is.

Oh, OK, was a lot of conflicting information on the web on it. Ordered a third party one and should receive tomorrow, MS one is a bit over the top on price for what it is.

How much is it over there? €18 in Argos here.

How much is it over there? ?18 in Argos here.

Pretty much the same here for the official MS one, the one I purchased was about 7 Euro delivered. From what I can tell it's just a piece of plastic with rubber feet, 7 day no quibble return anyway if it doesn't work out.

Advertisement