Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Opinion on junction layout

• 18-10-2016 11:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭

Would love to have your opinions regarding the layout of a busy junction in Cork City.

The particular junction in question is at the bridge leading off Patrick street over towards macCurtain street on the north side of the river at the Camden place crossing.

So there are 2 lanes heading north from the bridge, which becomes 3 lanes after the junction. The first lane of which is a bus lane. The 2 other lanes are lanes for all traffic to use. However these 2 driving lanes are slightly offset compared to the 2 lanes of traffic coming from the Patrick Street direction.(seems to be commonplace at alot of junctions in Cork)

So the big question is. What lane would you position yourself in on the bridge if you wished to be in the left driving lane after the junction? From the bridge: Left lane is for left or straight. Right lane is straight only

Below is a link to the junction in question
    https://www.google.ie/maps/@51.8991379,-8.4703507,222a,20y,45t/data=!3m1!1e3

If someone feels the need to embed the image in a post feel free to do so.
    :D:D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭DakarVert

Left lane coming over bridge to get left lane (Well middle lane) on the other side.

Can see where the confusion would be though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭savagethegoat

the arrow on the left lane is obscured by a vehicle...does this indicate left turn only perhaps?

edit : streetview confirms both arrows straight ahead

Logical for right hand lane to go to right hand lane, but it's Cork where that doesn't apply.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,528 ✭✭✭cml387

I use the middle lane, though I too can't see where the confusion is arising.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

On Streetview why is the bus in the wrong lane??

Btw I'd use the left lane on the bridge to use the middle lane after the junction.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

This very junction seems to come up a bit. There was another thread on it only a month or so ago.

• Advertisement

Mc Love wrote: »

Btw I'd use the left lane on the bridge to use the middle lane after the junction.

back off a bit and you'll see why...parked cars in the bus lane, which, as is usual in Cork, is probably a rush hour only lane. You'll also see the entire lane of traffic form the RH bridge lane going up the middle lane rather than the RH one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭h3000

Mc Love wrote: »

Because there is some dope in a Focus cabriolet parked in the bus lane.

0118 999 881 999 119 725 3

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭xFROSTY Gx

Thanks for the replies! The exact answers I was looking for.

Been using the route lately for work. See so many close calls there.

I sometimes even position myself to the right side of the left hand to indicate the upcoming road positioning to which still had a few people cutting me off :pac::pac:

Just have to be extra vigilant and drive on anyway :rolleyes:

looks to me as you'd be wise to use the RH lane on the bridge but you are perfectly entitled to use the LH one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,422 ✭✭✭ofcork

They have been repainted recently i use lh lane on bridge to go lh lane on bridge street or rh for rh.

• Advertisement
Advertisement