Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How long should you try before going to the doc?

Options
  • 18-10-2016 11:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭

Hi, Im just about to turn 35 and my husband is 34. We've been trying only the last two months and last month I think I had a very early miscarriage. I have vulvodynia so the lovelife isnt crazy active but were trying on the correct days. Im just wondering at my age how long should you try naturally before going to visit the doctor if nothing happens in the meantime?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭babydream

Its usually advised to go to the doctor if nothing happens after 12 months if your under 35. And after 6 months of trying if aged over 35.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭catrionanic

I'd say six months.

Are you charting your periods, temping, checking cervical mucous, etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭snoopy29

I'm using an app but im pretty regular so not that hard to trace fortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭frogstar

Using an app is helpful but temping and checking cervical mucus is invaluable. You might find yourself surprised that you ovulate on a diff day than what your app says as they only use standard cycles. Recommend you do both

No harm getting initial dsy3 and day 21 (or to be more accurate, 7 day after ovulation) bloods done

Yeah Igot those done already by the doctor for a different reason and she said I was definitely ovulating.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭catrionanic

It's only been a couple of months, right? I would try to relax and not to worry, enjoy the excitement of it, and don't put too much thought into fertility issues until it's been at least six months

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Redchairs

I was advised by someone here to wait the year, but after 6 months I felt like I needed to check. Hub wanted to wait the year but my cycles are so all over the place it's hard to predict what's happening, usually I'm a go with the flow type, but in this I pushed for the tests at 6 months. The initial tests took a while to get, nearly two months. It turned out there was serious issue which all but prevents us conceiving naturally. We were then told to adjust diet/alcohol/excercise and retest after 3 months. That test has also come back negatively. It took almost 6 months of testing all told. After one year of (vigorous!) ttc we are going for our ivf consultation in January.

I would recommend that you follow your gut, for me I'm so glad we spent that money to get tested - if we were just going for our firsts tests now we'd have another 5 months ahead before we'd know and for me that's too long.

Good luck xx

I started using ovulation tests last month so on month two of those and my ovulation dates so move by a day or two either side of what its supposed to be so hopefully that'll help me because of the vulvodynia I cant try "too much" cause its just too painful for me so Im hoping these tests will help he process!

Advertisement