Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2016-17 Emirates FA Cup

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,672 ✭✭✭elefant

Jayop wrote: »
    I missed the first few minutes but he's played well.

The two Irish lads on the left side making bits of Arsenal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

elefant wrote: »
    The two Irish lads on the left side making bits of Arsenal.

Is that Arsenal fb a kid or what?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,672 ✭✭✭elefant

Is that Arsenal fb a kid or what?

Yeah, and Perez looks like he has no interest in giving him a hand.

Just seem the goal. Love that McGeady

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Mcgeady can be frustrating but he's still better than Championship level

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

Watching Cardiff City and Fulham on BBC 1 Wales and the stadium is mostly empty.

Talk about fair weather fans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

mikeym wrote: »
    Watching Cardiff City and Fulham on BBC 1 Wales and the stadium is mostly empty.

Talk about fair weather fans.
    11.30 is very early especially for Fulham fans having to travel to South Wales

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

16 year old Ryan Sessegnon scored. Never seen him play. Good in fm 17...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,593 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

White Hart Lane half empty for this one.. the magic of the cup.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

astradave wrote: »

The magic left a few years ago

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

Unearthly wrote: »
    16 year old Ryan Sessegnon scored. Never seen him play. Good in fm 17...

Have family who are Fulham fans and he is a very good young player. Trying to tie him down to a contract at the moment.
    astradave wrote: »

Some of the attendances have been pitiful. Norwich and Cardiff only had a few thousand at their games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,495 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

"Conte has one more sub, and it's his namesake coming on, Ngolo Kante"

Commentators these days! He should resign for that one!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

sick of the sh1t talk and debate about the "magic of the cup"

It is modern day football, we all know where teams stand, this isn't the 80s or 90s. Clubs are always going to rotate their squads and prioritise. I don't think it is a lack of respect either, it is just that league finish is far more important to teams. Not to mention European football.
    There is too much money at stake and as disappointing as it is, its common sense that first teams are rested in the early rounds.
    The gap between teams in various leagues is also huge compared to yester year.

The Champions League 4th spot debate is rather pointless also. Look at the teams that have won the FA Cup since Wimbledon 88, almost 30 years . Apart from Wigan and Pompey (I wouldn't even include Everton 1995 or Spurs 1991 in that bracket), all the sides were top sides. Arsenal, Utd, Chelsea, Utd, City, Pool. There would be only a tiny chance a club outside top 4 would actually break through anyway.
    I am not sure UEFA would allow that rule anyway (anyone know this?) so it is a silly debate?

Fans, of course, are different but its a natural cycle. Apart from maybe a scheme to attract fans with very low ticket prices, etc, medium clubs like Cardiff won't attract large numbers of fans. Tickets for league games are high enough.

There isn't much that can be done. Maybe scrap the league cup.

Another thing they could is make it that the top clubs can't play at home in 3rd round, not sure how it would work, would require the "open draw" to be somewhat altered. At least then stadiums won't be half empty. again, impossible to implement really?

Anyway, the annual "magic of FA Cup is gone since United pulled out cliche" has become a bit tedious for me!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭blueser

"No added minutes in the first half". Thank fcuk for that. Truly awful game.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭Korat

I was going to say the ref at Spurs v Villa was having a great game, then he gets a decision to give a goal kick wrong but he has been good otherwise in that you'd wouldn't know he's there. Even the players seem surprised the whistle isn't being blown every time there's minor contact or a player falls over. Good to see.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

I actually hate the FA cup now.

It's complete ****e up until the quarter finals.

Just as the EPL was livened up and there were a couple of really big games to look forward to it gets interrupted.

The really should move it to midweek and it might actually be a bit of a treat to have matches on then.

Bread, it's not only tedious, it's established bull**** that line that United didn't bother to enter a team. Doesn't stop loads of people peddling it though.

The cup is still the second best thing the vast majority of teams can win in a year and besides resting players for the games against lower league teams for a variety of reasons it's treated seriously by the top teams all of whom try to win it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,287 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Korat wrote: »
    I was going to say the ref at Spurs v Villa was having a great game, then he gets a decision to give a goal kick wrong but he has been good otherwise in that you'd wouldn't know he's there. Even the players seem surprised the whistle isn't being blown every time there's minor contact or a player falls over. Good to see.

It is Mike Dean he had enough bad press last week

sick of the sh1t talk and debate about the "magic of the cup"

It is modern day football, we all know where teams stand, this isn't the 80s or 90s. Clubs are always going to rotate their squads and prioritise. I don't think it is a lack of respect either, it is just that league finish is far more important to teams. Not to mention European football.
    There is too much money at stake and as disappointing as it is, its common sense that first teams are rested in the early rounds.
    The gap between teams in various leagues is also huge compared to yester year.

The Champions League 4th spot debate is rather pointless also. Look at the teams that have won the FA Cup since Wimbledon 88, almost 30 years . Apart from Wigan and Pompey (I wouldn't even include Everton 1995 or Spurs 1991 in that bracket), all the sides were top sides. Arsenal, Utd, Chelsea, Utd, City, Pool. There would be only a tiny chance a club outside top 4 would actually break through anyway.
    I am not sure UEFA would allow that rule anyway (anyone know this?) so it is a silly debate?

Fans, of course, are different but its a natural cycle. Apart from maybe a scheme to attract fans with very low ticket prices, etc, medium clubs like Cardiff won't attract large numbers of fans. Tickets for league games are high enough.

There isn't much that can be done. Maybe scrap the league cup.

Another thing they could is make it that the top clubs can't play at home in 3rd round, not sure how it would work, would require the "open draw" to be somewhat altered. At least then stadiums won't be half empty. again, impossible to implement really?

Anyway, the annual "magic of FA Cup is gone since United pulled out cliche" has become a bit tedious for me!
    Maybe bring in a rule that whenever two teams from different divisions are drawn against each other in the 3rd and 4th rounds, the higher placed team plays away. Then again, would Plymouth's board have been happy giving up today's share of the gate so that they could play at home?

Probably doesn't want to be there tbh and is just going through the motions, you know.........the whole "magic of the FA Cup is gone" for him

• Advertisement

It is Mike Dean he had enough bad press last week

Ha!

I didn't realise. That explains it so. :D

blueser wrote: »
    Maybe bring in a rule that whenever two teams from different divisions are drawn against each other in the 3rd and 4th rounds, the higher placed team plays away. Then again, would Plymouth's board have been happy giving up today's share of the gate so that they could play at home?

As I said, you can't win!

Generally, Football fans are a wierd bunch these days with the same tired cliches......

"International football isn't what it is, I hate the international break"

"FA Cup has lost its magic"

"Premier league is overrated"

"Champions league group round is predictable and I only get into it after the group stages"

"Players are overpaid and have no loyalty, respect for the jersey"

"Too much money in the game"

"Europa league is just a burden"

bla bla bla

Same tired cliches. This isn't the bloody 80s anymore. Football has evolved more than any other sport and it ain't going to revert so. There are no answers to most of these aspects. It is what it is. I amn't old enough to recall the 70s or 80s and even the early 90s I don't have massive recollection. So I probably amn't in huge seat to judge a lot of the changes. But I do understand why football is what it is and that there isn't a lot rules, campaigns, debates can do to halt it's evolution.

And there are, naturally, many depressing consequences to same (Chinese club football revolution being the latest)

Results
    West Ham United 0 V 5 Manchester City
    Manchester United 4 V 0 Reading
    Ipswich Town 2 V 2 Lincoln City
    Barrow 0 V 2 Rochdale
    Hull City 2 V 0 Swansea City
    Sunderland 0 V 0 Burnley
    Queens Park Rangers 1 V 2 Blackburn Rovers
    Millwall 3 V 0 AFC Bournemouth
    Brighton 2 V 0 MK Dons
    Blackpool 0 V 0 Barnsley
    Wigan Athletic 2 V 0 Nottingham Forest
    Birmingham City 1 V 1 Newcastle United
    West Bromwich Albion 1 V 2 Derby County
    Everton 1 V 2 Leicester City
    Wycombe Wanderers 2 V 1 Stourbridge
    Watford 2 V 0 Burton Albion
    Stoke City 0 V 2 Wolves
    Bristol City 0 V 0 Fleetwood Town
    Huddersfield Town 4 V 0 Port Vale
    Brentford 5 V 1 Eastleigh
    Bolton Wanderers 0 V 0 Crystal Palace
    Norwich City 2 V 2 Southampton
    Sutton United 0 V 0 AFC Wimbledon
    Accrington Stanley 2 V 1 Luton Town
    Rotherham United 2 V 3 Oxford United
    Preston North End 1 V 2 Arsenal
    Cardiff City 1 V 2 Fulham
    Liverpool 0 V 0 Plymouth Argyle
    Chelsea 4 V 1 Peterborough United
    Middlesbrough 3 V 0 Sheffield Wednesday
    Tottenham 2 V 0 Aston Villa

Monday 9th January
    Cambridge United V Leeds United - 7:45pm - BT Sport 2

Replays
    Lincoln City V Ipswich Town
    Burnley V Sunderland
    Barnsley V Blackpool
    Newcastle United V Birmingham City
    Fleetwood Town V Bristol City
    Crystal Palace V Bolton Wanderers
    Southampton V Norwich City
    AFC Wimbledon V Sutton United
    Plymouth Argyle V Liverpool

When is the 4th Rd draw?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

When is the 4th Rd draw?

Before the Cambridge - Leeds match tomorrow. It's on BBC2 and BT Sport 2.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

FA Cup weekend feels like an International break.
    Need to do something with the competition. Maybe move it to midweek could be a start.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Berserker wrote: »
    Some of the attendance have been pitiful. Norwich and Cardiff only had a few thousand at their games.

11.30 KO is ludicrous though. How many Fulham fans even bothered, Cardiff City heads were told by Warnock that it would be a fringe starting XI as well even though it was stronger in the event.

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭bill66

It's not all gloom and doom and the FA cup is not dead for those who actualy go to football. Lincoln City from the national league (step 5) took 5000 to Ipswich and Plymouth (step 4) took 8000+ to Liverpool. There is no other competion that has a the depth of intrest that the FA cup produces.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

bill66 wrote: »
    It's not all gloom and doom and the FA cup is not dead for those who actualy go to football. Lincoln City from the national league (step 5) took 5000 to Ipswich and Plymouth (step 4) took 8000+ to Liverpool. There is no other competion that has a the depth of intrest that the FA cup produces.
    Big crowds at Barrow & Sutton too. So maybe for fans in England of the lower league clubs it still has huge interest for those clubs.
    But coming from Ireland the FA Cup has become awful to watch with terrible tv games. The 2nd round games were good this year though.

bill66 wrote: »

Plymouth took more fans than they usually get at home to todays game

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

11.30 KO is ludicrous though. How many Fulham fans even bothered, Cardiff City heads were told by Warnock that it would be a fringe starting XI as well even though it was stronger in the event.

700 officially.

Awkward draw preamble starting now from Sutton Utd's home ground (I think) - Michael Owen and Martin Keown will be saying some numbers later.

1 Ipswich Town or Lincoln City
    2 Rochdale
    3 Manchester United
    4 Hull City
    5 Sunderland or Burnley
    6 Blackburn Rovrs
    7 Millwall
    8 Manchester City
    9 Brighton
    10 Blackpool or Barnsley
    11 Wigan Athletic
    12 Birmingham City or Newcastle United
    13 Chelsea
    14 Middlesbrough
    15 Derby County
    16 Leicester City
    17 Liverpool or Plymouth Argyle
    18 Wycombe Wanderers
    19 Watford
    20 Arsenal
    21 Fulham
    22 Wolves
    23 Cambridge United or Leeds United
    24 Bristol City or Fleetwood Town
    25 Huddersfield Town
    26 Tottenham Hotspur
    27 Brentford
    28 Bolton Wanderers or Crystal Palace
    29 Norwich City or Southampton
    30 Sutton United or AFC Wimbledon
    31 Accrington Stanley
    32 Oxford United

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Really nice goal that.

4th Round Draw
    Tottenham Hotspur v Wycombe Wanderers
    Derby County v Leicester City
    Oxford United v Newcastle United/Birmingham City
    AFC Wimbledon/Sutton United v Leeds United
    Plymouth Argyle/Liverpool v Wolverhampton Wanderers
    Southampton/Norwich City v Arsenal
    Lincoln/Ipswich v Brighton
    Chelsea v Brentford
    Manchester United v Wigan Athletic
    Millwall v Watford
    Rochdale v Huddersfield Town
    Burnley/Sunderland v Fleetwood Town/Bristol City
    Blackburn Rovers v Barnsley/Blackpool
    Fulham v Hull City
    Middlesbrough v Accrington Stanley
    Crystal Palace/Bolton Wanderers v Manchester City

Fairly uninspiring ties there by the looks of it. A few all prem games could be OK I guess. Wycome going to Spurs is nice too.

Fairly uninspiring ties there by the looks of it. A few all prem games could be OK I guess. Wycome going to Spurs is nice too.

Big Midlands derby with Derby County V Leicester

Big Midlands derby with Derby County V Leicester

Just doesn't get my blood flowing. I'm pretty happy with Wigan for United though. A big enough team that we shouldn't be careless in our approach but weak enough that we should beat them easily enough. Home tie too which is excellent.

3rd Round Replays
    Tonight

AFC Wimbledon 1 V 3 Sutton United
    Barnsley 1 V 2 Blackpool AET
    Burnley 2 V 0 Sunderland
    Fleetwood Town 0 V 1 Bristol City
    Crystal Palace 2 V 1 Bolton Wanderers
    Lincoln City 1 V 0 Ipswich Town - Live on BBC One

Wednesday
    Newcastle United 3 V 1 Birmingham City
    Plymouth Argyle 0 V 1 Liverpool - Live on BT Sport 2
    Southampton 1 V 0 Norwich City

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Stevecw

Poor Mick McCarthy, 91st min winner for non league Lincoln v Ipswich

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,024 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Brilliant break from Lincoln! Really great goal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

Lincoln just got a last minute winner against Ipswich. Totally deserved too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭ASOT

Micks gonna get the sack

Stevecw wrote: »
    Poor Mick McCarthy, 91st min winner for non league Lincoln v Ipswich
    No more than the Imps deserved. They bossed that game. McCarthy must be on thin ice now. Only mid table in the Championship, and now being dumped out of the cup by a non league side.

Lincoln just got a last minute winner against Ipswich. Totally deserved too.
    Had it on in the background, wasn't really watching it properly but from what I saw Lincoln seemed to be the better more attacking side. Obviously musn't have been Ipswich 1st team as Jonathan Douglas and Leon Best started. Douglas wasn't young when Stan started him in a few of our qualifiers in Croke Park, must be easily 35/36 now

AFC Wimbledon 1 - 3 Sutton United counts as a deffo cupset.

• Advertisement

AFC Wimbledon 1 - 3 Sutton United counts as a deffo cupset.

Wimbledon were 1-0 up but were also down to 10 men

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Stevecw wrote: »
    Had it on in the background, wasn't really watching it properly but from what I saw Lincoln seemed to be the better more attacking side. Obviously musn't have been Ipswich 1st team as Jonathan Douglas and Leon Best started. Douglas wasn't young when Stan started him in a few of our qualifiers in Croke Park, must be easily 35/36 now

He's Banging Natalie Sawyer though. Everything underweighs that achievement.

I had to look that up to make sure it was true, wow fair play to him! Well out of his league, so obviously life in the championship pays well.

The ultimate definition of "punching above your weight", surely? And I'm referring to him, not the DDG Ms Sawyer, by the way!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,631 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

blueser wrote: »
    The ultimate definition of "punching above your weight", surely? And I'm referring to him, not the DDG Ms Sawyer, by the way!

Probably, but well effing done man !!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement