Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2016-17 Emirates FA Cup

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

Fair play Lincoln city, big achievement for the club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Brilliant. Now all we need is Sutton to get through and hope they draw each other. :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Knocking Brighton out in the last round as well Lincoln have done well for themselves.

Hopefully they get a home draw against Chelsea,utd or Arsenal in the next round.

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭PhilipsR

Knocking Brighton out in the last round as well Lincoln have done well for themselves.

Hopefully they get a home draw against Chelsea,utd or Arsenal.

At this stage they'll be dreaming of Wembley and hoping for the handiest tie they can get in the quarters. No wanting the big sides any more. They're a game away from Wembley.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭KaiserGunner

Congratulations Lincoln city! What a win and shame on Joey Barton. I see they were due to play Sutton Utd today in the national league, but obviously postponed for the FA cup, what a story!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭blueser

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭mansize

blueser wrote: »

Disgusting

Enjoying the FA Cup this year!

Arsenal Lincoln final!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭blueser

Hopefully they get a home draw against Chelsea,utd or Arsenal in the next round.
    Blackburn at home, obviously!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,495 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Oxford with 2 in 2 mins to claw it back v Middlesbrough

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,080 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

10 man Millwall beating Leicester

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

Leicester losing, Millwall score in the 90th minute.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Plucky draw by Huddersfield against City 0-0, had the home side a bit more composure they could well have won that late on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,495 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Middlesbrough get a winner too, Leicester are all over the shop!

Giants like Millwall, 'Boro and Lincoln and assured places in the QF of the cup. :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

There was a good article in The Guardian a few days back about how, due to the changes made by the big sides, it's essentially a mercy killing that we see in the FA Cup these days rather than a giant killing.
    Sutton and Wolves were described as giantkillers, no less. That expression should be banned forthwith unless an inspection of team sheets proves it permissible, whether or not the BBC wishes to maintain its Canute-like stand in continuing to insist that FA Cup upsets must by definition be astonishing. They just about still can, though it is coming to the stage where the allegedly slain giant needs a doctor’s note or a certificate of authenticity to prove it.

A team from the Championship that makes 10 changes for a Cup tie can no longer be referred to as a giant. Nor can one like Liverpool, who fielded players against Wolves who were so far from the normal first-team selection that Paul Lambert’s side was the more experienced at Anfield, even though the visitors made seven changes themselves.

In these particular circumstances the resultant “shocks” are far from unexpected, and the time-honoured giantkilling tag is woefully inappropriate. A team making so many changes is asking to be dispatched, surely, so mercy-killing might be a more accurate description. We have arrived in the era of FA Cup euthanasia, where bigger teams beg smaller ones to put them out of their misery.

Bear this in mind at the weekend when the fifth-round ties are played, particularly the ones at Millwall and Middlesbrough. Leicester must be wondering what on earth they are doing to still be in this competition with so much else going on, particularly after making so many changes in their replay against Derby. That one game, in which Leicester made 10 changes and Derby eight, will probably go down in history as the beginning of the end for replays, if not the FA Cup itself, though in mitigation the two sides that took the pitch were quite well matched and spectators were not completely short-changed. This time, with relegation and the Champions League to worry about, even a manager as principled as Claudio Ranieri could be forgiven for not wanting to continue to fight on a third front.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2017/feb/15/fa-cup-self-destruction-liverpool-leeds-lincoln-sutton

I had a look at the line-ups for the Premier League sides and I have to agree. There are upsets, but this 'magic of the FA Cup' stuff is played out at this point. The top teams don't care enough any more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

There was a good article in The Guardian a few days back about how, due to the changes made by the big sides, it's essentially a mercy killing that we see in the FA Cup these days rather than a giant killing.

I had a look at the line-ups for the Premier League sides and I have to agree. There are upsets, but this 'magic of the FA Cup' stuff is played out at this point. The top teams don't care enough any more.

It's not only the top teams that don't care, most lower table PL sides and Championship teams make a load of changes for FA Cup games too. It's a malaise that's spread through the top 2 divisions.

Well when all the money is in the EPL it's dufficult for teams to prioritise the cup- and the FA run it!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,594 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Miss the first hour and as soon as I turn it on Pedro scores :D poor wolves

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

What was Ranieri expecting fielding a weakened side.

I wouldnt be surprised if he gets sacked anytime soon.

Well done Millwall, but the scumbag pitch invaders let ye down.

mikeym wrote: »

He needs to stay in the EPL. This is a sideshow

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Playing in the Champions League midweek and a major fight to stay in the Premier League ahead. As Mansize says FA Cup was a distraction.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

He played a side full of PL players. Plenty of the players who took to the field today for Leicester have PL winner medals. Should have been more than enough to beat Millwall, even at 11-11.

Come on you Whites!
    Today Spurs are longer without a trophy than Arsenal during Wenger's drought lolz

https://twitter.com/dannywelbeck/status/833317425286373376

Danny Welbeck had game with reserves and WILL NOT feature tomorrow night

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

God Fulham are offensively inoffensive. Sickeningly nice. 0-2 to Spurs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,287 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

5th Round Results so far
    Burnley 0 V 1 Lincoln City
    Huddersfield 0 V 0 Manchester City
    Middlesbrough 3 V 2 Oxford United
    Millwall 1 V 0 Leicester City
    Wolverhampton Wanderers 0 V 2 Chelsea
    Fulham 0 V 3 Tottenham Hotspur
    Blackburn Rovers 1 V 2 Manchester United

Monday
    Sutton United V Arsenal - 7:55pm BBC One

Replay
    Manchester City V Huddersfield

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,287 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Quarter Finals
    Chelsea V Manchester United
    Middlesbrough V Huddersfield/Manchester City
    Tottenham Hotspur V Millwall
    Sutton United/Arsenal V Lincoln City

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

Good draw. Some nice match ups. I'd fancy Chelsea, Man City, Spurs and Arsenal to make up a really strong semi final lineup.

• Juicy draw
    I fancy some payback here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Arsenal gifted the semi finals before even playing their 5th round tie

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Tough ask for Lincoln City. Sutton United will be no pushovers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

I can only imagine the response that Tottenham Hotspur V Millwall got from the police when it was drawn. Handy draw for Arsenal, again. Chelsea v Man United should be a cracking game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

We're one more shock away from having a non-league side in the semi finals, that would be something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

A great draw for Lincoln and Sutton really.

Wenger on a hiding to nothing with that draw but sure win the cup and sign a new contract.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

Sutton reserve goalie asked to resign over the pie thing and he's agreed to

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

Such a load of crap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

To be honest, what he done was against regulations which are there for a reason, stupid as some of them are. I couldn't give a sh1te about the Bookies of course but it is a dangerous precedent to set if the FA let them away with it because they are "little ol' Sutton".

A load of boll)x is right but he was a bit of a g)bsh1te to know that it "could" backfire. He will get plenty of media work anyway for a while and I am sure he didnt have too long left in his career.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

To be honest, what he done was against regulations which are there for a reason, stupid as some of them are. I couldn't give a sh1te about the Bookies of course but it is a dangerous precedent to set if the FA let them away with it because they are "little ol' Sutton".

A load of boll)x is right but he was a bit of a g)bsh1te to know that it "could" backfire. He will get plenty of media work anyway for a while and I am sure he didnt have too long left in his career.

He does a lot of work around the ground as well and apparently sleeps in the stadium 2 - 3 nights a week. He was a lot more to the club than reserve goalie.

Although maybe the club were sick of him around the place and now have a good excuse to get rid ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

The bookies were idiots for offering that market, like what did they expect to happen.

The keeper was silly to follow through on it though, just so a few of his mates could win a few quid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,546 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

I believe the odds were ate to 1.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Here's the flip side, if he knew about the bet and didn't eat the pie he's still directly influencing the wager isn't he?

EDIT: I can't believe I just posted that on a football forum.

thelad95 wrote: »
    The bookies were idiots for offering that market, like what did they expect to happen.

The keeper was silly to follow through on it though, just so a few of his mates could win a few quid.

It was catch 22. The bookies that offered it were sponsoring the team. They got promotion. As well as that I think the "5 figure sum" may be exaggerated (or recupperated somewhat by virtue of the T & Cs of the bet- ie you can only put a certain amount on, as well as you must deposit a certain amount into the a/c)
    Bookies are smart and always win and probably knew perfectly well that it was highly probable he would eat the pie and so they worked around that. They also knew there was a possibility that Sutton may not allow him to do so, given the FA rules.

So, all in all, they weren't going to lose much and there was a distinct possibility they may not lose at all. They got new gamblers signing up, and plenty of promotion.

BOOKIES ALWAYS WIN!!

murpho999 wrote: »
    I believe the odds were ate to 1.

Realistically they should have only been 3.1415926/1

It’s 100% correct that keeper is reprimanded for this.

He’s in a position to influence bets and he used it.

It might sound stupid as it appears to be a bit of a joke eating a pie but the actual action is irrelevant.

You just can’t have players involved in any way with match betting of any kind otherwise the floodgates would open.

It might sound stupid as it appears to be a bit of a joke eating a pie but the actual action is irrelevant.

You just can’t have players involved in any way with match betting of any kind otherwise the floodgates would open.
    As someone else pointed out surely not eating a pie due to knowing about the existence of odds is the same?

• Advertisement

As someone else pointed out surely not eating a pie due to knowing about the existence of odds is the same?

Of course not. That's like saying a bet on a player to be scored has been affected deliberately by the player failing to score.

No it isn't? ?? He ate the pie to influence a bet during a professional match, something you cannot do in professional football. The outcome was fixed. Not eating a pie is the normal course of proceedings during a football match. And there was no market for that. He stupidly boasted that his mates took the bet which made it all the worse.

It's a ridiculous situation but rules are rules and as I said letting little old Sutton and their role poly goalie away with it sets a bad precedent which other bookies would take advantage of. The FA should have been aware of the well publicied bet, as should Sutton and warned him of the implications and gave him the choice to risk same.

I wonder will the FA fine him for it.

I'm sure he had a few quid on himself to win the bet too or at least got a few mates to put money down for himself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

GavRedKing wrote: »
    I wonder will the FA fine him for it.

I'm sure he had a few quid on himself to win the bet too or at least got a few mates to put money down for himself.

If he's quit the club then I can't imagine them having any grounds to fine him. He's effectively no longer involved in football so should he choose not to pay an FA fine then it's tough titty.

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭PhilipsR

It's a novelty bet. This bet had absolutely nothing to do with sport. Him being pitchside doesn't make it part of the football match. It's as much a sport bet as the stupid novelty bets they have for Jim White's tie on deadline day.

It was also limited to £5 I believe.

Farce.

• Advertisement
Advertisement